yamaha htd grips.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyking

Reaction score
My 06 should be here any day now! I am interested in the heated grips.should i have the dealer install them (not sure of the charge) or do it on my own?Has anyone installed the yamaha htd grips? Is it a tuf job? Do they work wel, or should i go with a diffrent type alltogether. Thanks for the help. sky.

@skyking,

It's up to you what kind you use, but I do have some observations/opinions:

Bar end weights typically are not useable with factory heated grips, from what I've seen, and the grips appear to be shorter.

The heat controller as-fitted may take up space you'd rather use for some farkle that needs to be seen more often, like a GPS or something.

They are $$$$.

Using an under-grip style allows the use of any other type of grip that you choose, if you're concerned about that. These types are also way less $$$, and really not hard to install.

At the least, if you have some confidence in your garage skills, I recommend doing the job yourself.

Good luck, YMMV

Shane

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the Yammy heated grips on my 03 together with the "heavy" Throttlemeister. Installation of both is pretty straightforward if you are minimally handy with wiring. It all fit together nicely. I was never satisfied with the output of the grips though, and I thought the controller was butt ugly.

I'm putting the Symtec heaters under aftermarket grips on my 05.

Jim

I was never satisfied with the output of the grips though, and I thought the controller was butt ugly.

Ihave to say, I am not very happy with my Yamaha heated grips either. I'm actually thinking of taking them off and just putting the v-strom handgaurds on. The output is terrible. Even had the shop look at them again to see if they were installed correctly. :angry2: And there is much cheaper ones available you do want to go with heated grips.

devanator