Yamaha new Accessories.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrpro

Reaction score
I see Yamaha is putting out some accessories for the 06 Fjr. Its about time! What do you think about the seat?
yamahagelseat374msrp.jpg

$375? Ouch.

For $25 more dollars you could get a true custom seat from Bill Mayer. And if you wanted to splurge and get leather and/or match the pillion....you'd be that much closer. Once you go custom seat....you won't want to go back.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I ride a long time in a day I move around to several different positions on the seat, including sliding back and using some of the pillion seat at times. This new seat looks like it takes away that option.

$375? Ouch.
For $25 more dollars you could get a true custom seat from Bill Mayer. And if you wanted to splurge and get leather and/or match the pillion....you'd be that much closer. Once you go custom seat....you won't want to go back.
Ignacio....wouldn't that be your "butt" wouldn't let you go back? :rolleyes: ....

The gel seat can be had for about $300 shipped if you know a good source. You can ONLY get both the front and pillion together. I am told that these seats are on backorder without a release date. Might be two weeks. Might be two months... who knows.

I went ahead and ordered it. We'll see what it's like when, and if, it ever comes in. I have the Corbin saddle. It's lower, but not very comfortable. I might give up and inch if my ass can last a longer day.

I'd get a Mayer or Russell if I thought they could get me lower to the ground. I'd imagine if anything, they'd be as tall if not taller than stock.

Let you all know soon as it comes in and I get a chance to test ride it. If anyone wants to buy JUST the pillion seat, I'll gladly sell it. I almost always ride solo with a smuggler.

I'd get a Mayer or Russell if I thought they could get me lower to the ground. I'd imagine if anything, they'd be as tall if not taller than stock.
As they are true custom seats, they should be able to lower the seat height if that is what the customer desires. Obviously there are limitations due to the stock seat pan being utilized, but they build it they wasy YOU want it. Now I don't have Russell, which is a fine seat, but I am guessing it would be easier to lower going with the Mayer as they don't use the suspension.

I don't know what you are waiting for?

I ordered one also, got a great price from University Motors, and think it will be just the ticket.

I had a custom seat made for my last FJR and liked it at first, but I think that was just because I paid so much for it that I wanted to like it. My wife and I ride 100% of the time with full gear and our cortech pants slid on the leather like ice cubes on a hot platter. If I would have bought the cheaper covering I would probably of like it more.

Another thing that bugged me was that I asked for extra material in the front of the seat, but there was little to no difference in that area compared to stock. I still would slide forward while cruising at speed. I'm sure a custom seat would work for me if I made different choices in seat materail and did a ride in.

I have one (a gel seat). I had a 3/4 Saddleman gel put in the stock front I did my SS1K on it and three more days of heavy riding at EOM 06 and could still walk I want to try out a custom. I plan to sell it after I get a custom one made. Make an offer. I bought a new stock seat to send off to have customized. Now the question is Russel or pick a Mayer. I met R mayer at the Atl show. I went through the customizer threads and found pages of "Everyone is subjective" And even sent PMs to a few Butt's that have been on both for a what did you like/not like but got no response (HINT HINT Skooter & Iggy) Who knows, after I get the custom I may like the gel better and sell the other.

Rocket, What do you want for the Pillion?

And even sent PMs to a few Butt's that have been on both for a what did you like/not like but got no response (HINT HINT Skooter & Iggy)
Damn! Sorry Fencer, I had meant to get back to you. I have been getting waaay behind on my correspondence. Unfortunately, you ain't the only one.

Reader's Digest version: Go with Bill Mayer and not Rick Mayer. Russell is good also, most likely can't go wrong with them, ESPECIALLY, if you are on the portly side.

I am short on time right now, I promise I will get back to you with a more detailed response.

I also saw Yamaha heated grips and a touring shield that is 4 ": taller and 1/2" wider!!

PS, Now if they can only fix the throttle, I would buy one!

Alex, what custom seat did you have?
Rick Meyer. It was was a decent seat and all, but I think I could of made a better choice for the $ that was spent.

My wife and I both did a SS 1k when the seat was in stock form, I guess I had higher expectations for spending the extra $ on a "custom" seat. I you do the custom route, I highly recommend doing a ride in to get the seat made for youself. Otherwise your not doing the supplier justice.... they can't get a good idea of what you need from some 2d pictures. Just my opinion.

Alex how much was the seat from University Motors? Fjrocket....can you point me in the right direction for the $300 offer. Ron Ayres wants $355.

When going with a custom seat you can specify what type foam you want used. Typically a firm base with a lighter weight foam on top is best depending on your size and weight. Personally I found for the top material "Pudgee" is great. Closed cell foam that is similar in feel to gel. The problem with stock seats, even like the newer Yamaha seat offered by Yamaha is that the same type foam is used in the new redesigned seat which is still too soft and won't allow for a proper setup that won't eleminate butt burn and back ache. A good custom seat could cost more than 3 or 4 hundred though depending who you work with. There is a problem using the stock seat pan also in my opinion on the FJR as the rear of the pan doesn't allow for enough foam to get the right thickness to make the perfect seat. Using a custom pan could eleminate this problem. And there are products out there that can help you from sliding around on slippery seat. I think folks could find a reputable upholstery shop in their own area that could work well in helping one to make the right seat for them and you would not have the problem of not being able to go back for adjustments to get it right. You don't have to be stuck with just 3 or 4 seat makers. PM. <>< :D

Alex, what custom seat did you have?
Rick Meyer. It was was a decent seat and all, but I think I could of made a better choice for the $ that was spent.

My wife and I both did a SS 1k when the seat was in stock form, I guess I had higher expectations for spending the extra $ on a "custom" seat. I you do the custom route, I highly recommend doing a ride in to get the seat made for youself. Otherwise your not doing the supplier justice.... they can't get a good idea of what you need from some 2d pictures. Just my opinion.
Alex, unfortunately you had a bad experience with a custom seat. There is no Holy Grail when it comes to aftermarket seats - one company/brand will not make everybody happy. Why didn't you send it back for a re-do? He does have that guarantee.

Frankly, I hate to say this, but I think one of the keys here is to not get a Rick Mayer seat. He is a hell of a nice guy, and there are some that have loved their RM seat, but his track record with FJR folk is not good. My advice is to go with Bill Mayer or Russell.

I too was disappointed with my RM seat, and then eventually bought a Bill Mayer saddle. And I even did a ride-in, so that's no guarantee of success. So even after the ride-in fitting, I was also still sliding forward. I sent it back, and he fixed that and some other things, but it still wasn't what I thought it should be. Most definitely better than stock, and now about a 1000 mile in a day seat, but I needed better. And I know of at least two others who went with a new custom seat maker when they were dissatisfied with their RM seat. A third had sent it back for the 2nd time (3rd try) and I don't know the results.

I have not put enough miles on my Bill Mayer saddle to officially say it's perfect, but the couple moderate distance trips I have taken so far lead me to believe that it will definitely exceed the Rick Mayer seat. I will also say that the building experience was better with Bill Mayer. He did a better job of listening to what my issues were and building a seat which addressed them.

That's my sortid custom seat tale. YMMV.

Alex how much was the seat from University Motors? Fjrocket....can you point me in the right direction for the $300 offer. Ron Ayres wants $355.
I don't really like giving #'s on the internet, but it was $280 and change for both front and rear seats, then shipping. They are always great on shipping BTW.

Ask for Rick Keller. Gary Mccoy has been moved up in the business and he would like us to contact Rick.

(866) 551-6478

Again, the Yamaha seats are not ready to ship. Yamaha has not given a ETA yet. I will let you guys know when I hear the word.

Thanks.

Alex, unfortunately you had a bad experience with a custom seat. There is no Holy Grail when it comes to aftermarket seats - one company/brand will not make everybody happy. Why didn't you send it back for a re-do? He does have that guarantee.
Frankly, I hate to say this, but I think one of the keys here is to not get a Rick Mayer seat. He is a hell of a nice guy, and there are some that have loved their RM seat, but his track record with FJR folk is not good. My advice is to go with Bill Mayer or Russell.

I too was disappointed with my RM seat, and then eventually bought a Bill Mayer saddle. And I even did a ride-in, so that's no guarantee of success. So even after the ride-in fitting, I was also still sliding forward. I sent it back, and he fixed that and some other things, but it still wasn't what I thought it should be. Most definitely better than stock, and now about a 1000 mile in a day seat, but I needed better. And I know of at least two others who went with a new custom seat maker when they were dissatisfied with their RM seat. A third had sent it back for the 2nd time (3rd try) and I don't know the results.

I have not put enough miles on my Bill Mayer saddle to officially say it's perfect, but the couple moderate distance trips I have taken so far lead me to believe that it will definitely exceed the Rick Mayer seat. I will also say that the building experience was better with Bill Mayer. He did a better job of listening to what my issues were and building a seat which addressed them.

That's my sortid custom seat tale. YMMV.
Wow, sounds like we had the exact same problems/issues. I swear that the foam was cut out and not added in the front. Either way, I was without my seat so long on that transaction that I didn't want to send it back again, possibly get it fixed, pay for a new covering then try it again. I love the fact that I'm geting a completely new seat from Yamaha, pan and all. That way I won't be without a seat for 3 weeks. Then when I decide witch one I like best, the other will get sold.

I have had a Rick Mayer, a Corbin but the best of the lot is my Russell. No questions about it the Russell delivers on those long 1000+ mile days. I rode in for all my seats. I had a Bill Mayer built for DL650 Suzuki V-Strom and like it a lot. It looks better on this particular bike than would a Russell but function over form any day. Of the two the Russell is still the most comfortable.

Not sure how your genuine Yamaha bolt on gear is over there but I can't understand why Yamaha puts such high prices on their gear here in Australia.

If it was reasonably priced it would sell, but Yamaha must want to keep it all.

FJR1300 Knuckle Visor Set

New for the FJR are these injected & colour matched knuckle visor sets.

Designed by GK and YEC engineering to help deflect wind and rain from the riders hands and simply clamp mounts on the the existing side mirrors.

5VS-W0748-60-00 $AU410.29

Fits 2006 FJR1300 - Ocean Depth, Desert Metallic & Silver Storm

yam.jpg

High Windshield

This polycarbonate clear screen is 80mm higher and 50mm wider than the standard FJR1300 screen.

5VS-W0710-00-00 $AU484.35

Fits 2006 FJR1300

Foot Shield Set

GK design & YEC engineered deflectors for riders' feet.

Injected & colour matched.

Fits 2006 FJR1300 - Ocean Depth ,Desert Metallic $AU518.68

Silver Storm $AU542.83

FJR1300 39L Top Case $AU1,145.40 + $AU207.81 for the attachment kit