Yamaha prices - SHOCKED

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iboldguy

Reaction score
Stopped by my closest Yamaha dealer yesterday after a nice ride to get ready to put the bike up for the winter.

1 OEM oil filter, 4 OEM crush washers (oil plug, pumpkin plug) filter $17.27, washers $1.88 ea tax $3.22 total $28:blink: .

I asked for a quote for the first valve clearance check - $400 if OK, could be upto $800 if it needs shims.

Are Yamaha parts made from gold or should I change my avatar to a lollipop?

I saw a TV interview with a Skidoo dealer in Minesota whose prices were very low versus Manitoba prices. He said Bombardier, which makes them in Canada yet, ordered him not to sell to Canadians. He said "I guess you guys are getting screwed, but you're used to it"

Stopped by my closest Yamaha dealer yesterday after a nice ride to get ready to put the bike up for the winter.

1 OEM oil filter, 4 OEM crush washers (oil plug, pumpkin plug) filter $17.27, washers $1.88 ea tax $3.22 total $28:blink: .
Whose your dealer?! I want to order from them! I bought JUST and oil filter a couple of days ago and it was $20.88

"thank you sir, may I have another"

I asked for a quote for the first valve clearance check - $400 if OK, could be upto $800 if it needs shims.

Are Yamaha parts made from gold or should I change my avatar to a lollipop?

I saw a TV interview with a Skidoo dealer in Minesota whose prices were very low versus Manitoba prices. He said Bombardier, which makes them in Canada yet, ordered him not to sell to Canadians. He said "I guess you guys are getting screwed, but you're used to it"
Look online for parts, just google Yamaha OEM parts and you'll find a bunch of vendors competing for your money. If you want to support the local dealer print out the quoted price from the internet and give them the opportunity to match or come close.

I think the valve adjust pays to do it yourself, but I understand time is not something everyone has. I would have to know a mechanic is trustworthy and reputable before they tear into my bike.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whose your dealer?! I want to order from them! I bought JUST and oil filter a couple of days ago and it was $20.88

"thank you sir, may I have another"
Canucklehead and I went South of the border and picked up OEM Filters for $7.95 and crush washers at ~$1 each.

Drop by and I'll give you one. Heck, we'll change your oil and I'll give you one to change it again when you get home! :p

If you switch to a flat aluminum washer for Hondas, you can get them for $0.35. And if you torque your drain bolts to no more than 22-24 ft. lbs., chances are it'll last you a lifetime. https://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/58611

As for filters, there's a number of aftermarket ones out there waaaay less money, or sometimes you can find bulk buys (6 or 10) which bring the price down.

I've been lucky I guess but with 8 oils changes and factory washers=no leaks

Kellys cycle maybe, I was in the states last week, picked up a Fram for $4.64 at Walmart. I will see how that works.

There's no doubt we get royally screwed for Yamaha parts in Canada, but that's basically true of all motorcycle gear. It's even more obvious when the currencies are close to par.

If you live anywhere near the border, it pays to get a U.S. mailbox and have stuff shipped there. There are much better filters than the Yamaha OEM filter available on Amazon.com for a fraction of the price and you can have it shipped directly to your Canadian address.

In the 'bad old days', there were times when GM, General Motors (aka: Global Menace), made more money in foreign currency exchange than it did making cars (not too hard to do -- they went bankrupt making cars...).

92,000 miles. Still on original "crush" washer. Used Auto oil filters since bought the bike with 1600 miles on it; used the Wally-World ST type the last 20,000 miles. Had to add one-third quart of oil at 4,000 miles on last long trip. Didn't change oil until rest day in Vegas at 6,000 miles. Ian, Iowa

Either keep paying that higher price for "quality" or just buy some auto filters. I run supertecs on everything I've got. I think I payed 3 bucks for my last one. My crush washers are still good to go bike has 56k on it.

I've been lucky I guess but with 8 oils changes and factory washers=no leaks
Yeah, me either! In all the bikes I've had, I have never changed out the washers ever. Never had a leak and have never had one on the FJR, truck, any car, anything! I say save your money!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people may be using a 3/4" drive Torque wrench on their drain plug making the crush washer appear to look like a penny someone has laid on a train track.

I've NEVER replaced a washer on a oil pan drain plug on any car, truck, motorcycle or even my lawn mower and I've never had a leak. As far as replacement parts goes, I too use the Supertech filter I buy for $2.79 at Wal-Mart. I use the supertech on all of my vehicles that supertech has a filter that fits. Its almost criminal how much places charge for parts. $400 for adjustment and up to $800 for a valve adjustment that requires shims on a four cylinder motorcycle engine is robbery. For about $380 you can buy everything necessary to completely rebuild a Chevy 350 cu. in. V8.

Because of high prices here, most of the time I order my FARKELS from USofA and pay for post to Australia.

You guys and gals have it good.

Regards

Surly

:ph34r:

I asked for a quote for the first valve clearance check - $400 if OK, could be up to $800 if it needs shims.
And this is why I'm glad to *NOT* support my local dealer. As a matter of fact, I was happy to buy my FJR in Tennessee because the sales staff are total dicks.

I had to do my ignition recall myself, and I had to go to a dealer an hour's drive away to get my ECU recall done.

If Orlando Yamaha goes out of business, I'll be dancing the Snoopy Dance of Joy.

I asked for a quote for the first valve clearance check - $400 if OK, could be up to $800 if it needs shims.
And this is why I'm glad to *NOT* support my local dealer. As a matter of fact, I was happy to buy my FJR in Tennessee because the sales staff are total dicks.

I had to do my ignition recall myself, and I had to go to a dealer an hour's drive away to get my ECU recall done.

If Orlando Yamaha goes out of business, I'll be dancing the Snoopy Dance of Joy.
Makes a feller wonder

'what if I opened up a shop that payed attention to the customer'?

..of course it would go broke...

The Yamaha filter's MSRP is $10.66. My local dealer gets $15.99 for this filter, 50% above MSRP. I also use the flat, soft aluminum Honda washers. They don't leak and I've never replaced one.

Agood ol' copper washer from Ace Hardware works perfectly. Most all vehicles used to have them from the factory. These washers last indefinitely as well.