Yamaha top box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO the Yamaha box is way to tall looking on the bike, Givi V46 when Cobalt Blue is available for me.

I got the Givi to match the 03 even before I got the FJR. Bought it used off the FZ1 site and used it on the FZ until the FJR came. Just switched it back and forth until I sold the FZ. All I had to do is buy the rack or the FJR. IMO the Yamaha box is damn ugly. Looks funny and sits too high. Ain't big enough either. But it does use the same key if that matters. There is a reason there are probably a gazillion more Givi topcases than there are Yamaha installed.

I have the Givi 46 with matching painted lid on my '05. With no pad it is in the right place for a pillion. I have had no complaints about needing a back pad, but I rarely carry a pillion and when I do it is only for short distances.

If I were to do it again I'd take a long hard look at the Givi 52 before buying.

One major advantage of the Givi is that it is not specific to one bike. Trade your FJR for a newer model or different bike and you don't need to buy a new trunk. The Givi 46 comes with a black lid so you can always swap out the color matched one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with the GIVI V46 and universal mounting plate. The GIVI's are color matched to the bike. They look great, work perfectly, are water tight, hold two helmets, and you can thin the backrest for the passenger.

No regrets with the GIVI.

I've had 2 FJR's and 2 Yammy boxes and now have a Givi 52 mounted. The Givi BY FAR is built better. Superior locking mechanism, both on the trunk and mount. Less wasted space. The Yammy case wiggles with the slightest touch where as the Givi is solid as a rock. Holding 2 full face flip-up helmet is a real plus. I'm not sure why Yamaha wasted so much space with the rear portion of the case.

They are both very close in price, call up Gary Mccoy in Fargo order your Givi for about 10% less than the best web pricing.

On a second note, I'm rebuilding the front forks and changing springs. Last night I put 3 25 lb weights in the trunk and couple 2x6's under the header (only holding up about 7 lb's) It worked great. I wouldn't trust that plastic Yammy case to hold much more than 1/2 of that.

My wife likes both of them without the back rest. We've had the yammy case with and without the backrest.

Personally I like the looks of the yammy, but the function of the Givi is much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred,

I really like th FJR & feel like th top box just ruins th bike. I use th Yamaha tang bag for extra storage, & pack ah little lighter. This past weekend th OEM tankbag didn't interfer with th handling in th fast twistys at all. Nice ta see you posting here, seems like ah good active board.

P50703367x5.jpg

groupphoto7x5.jpg

@Ron Melton...

Welcome Ron...glad to see you at the blue board. I thought I read somewhere on another forum that you gave the FJR up and went to a different bike. Is this so?

BTW, I've got the Yamaha tank bag, too. Great for trips...

Wheaton, Well i was thinkin about trading the FJR for th new 06 FZ1, but in my case after ah test ride on th FZ1 i decided th FJR would work better for me.

Looking to buy a top box before going to WFO....& I think it's going to be a givi 52....that way the BH can bring the kitchen sink :blink:

Love the Givi C46 & tubular frame, strong, aero, good looking. Yami case looks like an amateur design to me...

Givi seems good up to 120 (very short distances of course...).

Only problem... I should've bought the bigger 52 !

To me the Yammy case means big on the outside, small on the inside. The double wall construction and 4 point latching is just lame. I don't care much for the color matching either, but I do like the single key aspect.

looks great. I didn't know the top case was available yet... did u get it direct from yamaha?

looks great. I didn't know the top case was available yet... did u get it direct from yamaha?

You talking to me? The Top Case itself actualy arrived before the bike did, in January. Problem is that the mounting hardware for the 2006 is still unavailable. I used the 2005 base and hardware, chopping it up, and replacing the bolts to make it fit on my bike.

KM

I have an '05 FJR and the Givi. I'm happy with what I got and with the price:

Have the GiVi 46 with color matched top. I paid a very reasonable price for the whole set-up. Had the mounting rack powder coated black ($75) which looks great whenever I take the box and adapter off. Installed a Powerlet connector on it for our iPod

Givi topbox can fit two full face helmets in it easily. The backrest pushes the pillion too far forward so took it off. My wife has padding on the back of her jacket, so she doesn't mind the lack of back rest.

The color matched piece is perfect and easily installed. As far as the key goes, it's a minor nuisance.

I use the topbox w/o the saddlebags in town to go to work. Never had any buffeting problems , although I don't get to go over 80 mph too often. :D

I ride with only a single key as I don't want a bunch of keys rattling around & scratching my triple clamp. That leaves an extra key required by the GIVI a problem...until now. This is actually a lock key, but same principle. Just use a zip-tie to cinch tight:

TandemKeys.jpg

I have four keys, Givi topcase, bike, tourtech gps mount and helmet holder. Use a single key for the bike and have a set either in my jacket pocket or the tank bag. Also have a set hidden on the bike for emergencies. Minor inconvenience but no big deal. If I had it to do over I would get the Givi 52 liter rather than the 46. Or have two, a big one for long trips and a day case for commuting or sport riding. I find the topcase way more convenient for commuting etc. Holds more than the side cases and easier to access. I usually take the sidecases off and use the topcase for such purposes. Its not always about form over function. But with the Givi you get both.