Yamaha Top Case vs. Givi Top Case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you decide on the Givi (which I recommend), do it this way. Much nicer than the standard Givi mounting system.

+1 to this. I opted for the Givi E52 top box. I had initial concerns that it might look too big. It doesn't. Not at all. Plus I could always imagine the possibility of wishing had more room as opposed to wishing I had less room. I have read of many people who bought the V46 top box wishing they had bought the E52, but I don't ever remember reading the opposite.

I also opted for a non-bike color matching top box as it can always be used on any bike I might ultimately get.

I also opted for the rack made by OHFJR (his company is Premiere Cycle Accessories) as opposed to the Givi rack (you will still need to buy the Givi E250 mounting plate, though.). Installation is slick and easy. I also decided on his larger size because believe it or not there may be times that I still just want to use my large Cortech tail bag, and it fit's very nicely on this luggage rack.

As mentioned earlier, the top boxes do come down to taste and function, but just the design, IMO, they all look foreign to the bike. Like they don't really belong there. As of now, I will have to stay with soft luggage until something better comes along...PM. <>< :D

My old E460 fits two full face helmets. Instead of putting them in the up position try laying them on their side in different configurations. Mine are both large so maybe anything bigger depending on helmet brand may differ.

I went with the Givi V46 with the Givi rack made by Duane (OHFJR)

bikepics-657329-full.jpg

Here's Duane's rack with the Givi E250 mounting plate installed

bikepics-653165-full.jpg

I think the Givi is better looking than the Yammi box, but again that's a personal opinion.

I got the Givi box, mounting plate and blue lid from University Motors. Total cost for everything was under $500 including shipping.

Here's a link to Duane's web site:

https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/fjraandba.html

As mentioned earlier, the top boxes do come down to taste and function, but just the design, IMO, they all look foreign to the bike. Like they don't really belong there. As of now, I will have to stay with soft luggage until something better comes along...PM. <>< :D
I understand what you're saying here. I sort of felt the same way. That said, there are times when looks can be sacrificed for function. Traveling two up for longer trips or just extended solo trips for example. Having the top box can come in mighty handy. Plus, since it's behind me, I don't have to look at it anyway.

I view it somewhat like the auxiliary gas tanks and other such items people need for the purpose accomplishing the requirements of certain types of rides. The extra gas tanks sure don't do a damn thing for the looks of the bike, but....if you need it, you need it. I certainly wouldn't leave the top box on all the time as some do. But when the situation calls for it .....................

I went with the Givi V46 with the Givi rack made by Duane (OHFJR)
bikepics-657329-full.jpg

Here's Duane's rack with the Givi E250 mounting plate installed

bikepics-653165-full.jpg

I think the Givi is better looking than the Yammi box, but again that's a personal opinion.

I got the Givi box, mounting plate and blue lid from University Motors. Total cost for everything was under $500 including shipping.

Here's a link to Duane's web site:

https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/fjraandba.html
The one thing about using Duanes rack is that you have to remove the rubber thingies off of the Givi E250 because of where it's bolted on. I still think that they serve a saftey function. I think I will be drilling holes into the E250, trim the rubber things down a bit to compensate for the fact that they won't be inset, and reinstall them in another location. I think adding velcro strips as Warchild has done isn't a bad idea either. (Call me paranoid, but I also use the saftey clips on my side bags as well). I don't want to chance ANYTHING falling off. That sure could screw up a otherwise perfectly great trip.

+1 on the factory box. After I saw one at Biketoberfest, I knew I wouldn't get the Givi (if I got one at all). I had the Givi before on a different bike--top shelf stuff, but the Yammi box "looks" like an JFR box. The Givi's are rather rounded and bulbous, unlike the sharp angles on the rest of the JFR. I imagine the Givi will give you options for holding more, but in this case I'd sacrifice form over function.

Just my 2 cents.

What I like even better than either is a good rack to mound attractive soft luggage to, but that is attractive and small enough to leave in place without the luggage mounted.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the factory box. After I saw one at Biketoberfest, I knew I wouldn't get the Givi (if I got one at all). I had the Givi before on a different bike--top shelf stuff, but the Yammi box "looks" like an JFR box. The Givi's are rather rounded and bulbous, unlike the sharp angles on the rest of the JFR. I imagine the Givi will give you options for holding more, but in this case I'd sacrifice form over function.
Just my 2 cents.

What I like even better than either is a good rack to mound attractive soft luggage to, but that is attractive and small enough to leave in place without the luggage mounted.
I bought the Yamaha box because of it's looks, because my FJR came with 3 locks and the third went on the topcase so one key opens all, I preferred the mounting system, and I preferred the design (quality of build) of the Yamaha product. I was at a riding equipment store the other day and I looked at the new Givis. I am glad I bought the Yamaha product. I like it better.

My top box is generally used when riding 2up and it is used for a daypack that we keep toiletries in (mine and hers), then it tends to get the extra stuff: Camera case, stuff bought at stores etc.

On my recent two weeks in Colorado when I also had to bring my office (computer and phone) I loaded up the bike more than I ever had before for a solo ride. I slid my computer briefcase's outer paper pocket over the backreast (in front of the topcase) and bungied around the top case mounting bracket. Here's my bike fully loaded (near the Utah/Nevada border on US 50)

DSC06453.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
May laptop briefcase does not fit in my Yamaha topcase.
+1, but my big ass Dell D820 in a backpack does fit in the Givi v46 ;)

Plus it _does look better and you can get the back rest if you want it in multiple levels of plus-ness.

They have a hard one, and a gel backrest too. I did not put the back rest on the former bike, not enough room, but the wife may want it on the Feej.

The one thing about using Duanes rack is that you have to remove the rubber thingies off of the Givi E250 because of where it's bolted on. I still think that they serve a saftey function. I think I will be drilling holes into the E250, trim the rubber things down a bit to compensate for the fact that they won't be inset, and reinstall them in another location. I think adding velcro strips as Warchild has done isn't a bad idea either. (Call me paranoid, but I also use the saftey clips on my side bags as well). I don't want to chance ANYTHING falling off. That sure could screw up a otherwise perfectly great trip.

I actually 'relocated' the rubber things... those little screws that hold that plate that also snaps in?

I drilled those out and put the rubber cushions in those holes. That snap in plate isn't coming out.

It gave the case a lot tighter grab like it should have and a lot less play.

My old E460 fits two full face helmets. Instead of putting them in the up position try laying them on their side in different configurations. Mine are both large so maybe anything bigger depending on helmet brand may differ.
+1 - but mine is a V46. Easily fits my Zeus modular and my daughters Scorpion full face if you lay them down in the bottom of the box. Also leaves room for more stuff on top of the helmets.

I actually 'relocated' the rubber things... those little screws that hold that plate that also snaps in?

I drilled those out and put the rubber cushions in those holes. That snap in plate isn't coming out.

It gave the case a lot tighter grab like it should have and a lot less play.

Most excellent idea for placement. I was going to drill new holes by the install bolts. This will indeed, be better. Thanks for the tip.

Hey all !!

Also check out the Hepco Becker box with a solid german made rack under.

I'm living in Europe and HB is rather big here on aftermarkets parts.

Anyway, I'm quite happe with mine.

Tor B)

Haven't there been problems with the base of the Yamaha topbox cracking?
I heard of 1 (one) cracking.

My Yamaha topbox case has been fine for over 14,000 2up riding, fully loaded and used as a backrest over about any kind of terrain you can think of. There are no signs of it cracking. I think the 1 (one) case I read of it cracking must be a strange occurrence.

Way more Givi boxes on FJR than Yamaha's malfunction. Maybe it comes down more to cost than look. All the WFO's I have been to and see very few Yamaha boxes. Almost as many Pelican case mounted on a rack as Yamaha's.

Yes, I have a 06 FJR. Got the Yamaha Top Box first thing. Two weeks ago I see that the base is broke around where it mounts to the base plate. Took it to the dealership where I bought it and they are sending it to Mother Yamaha. Dealership told me that there was no way that Yamaha would take responsibility for it but they would send it to them anyway. So never never never buy the Yamaha Top Box.

Cheers

I heard of 1 (one) cracking.

My Yamaha topbox case has been fine for over 14,000 2up riding, fully loaded and used as a backrest over about any kind of terrain you can think of. There are no signs of it cracking. I think the 1 (one) case I read of it cracking must be a strange occurrence.
From what I remember reading on various FJR related forums there have been a few. One guy had two topbox's with the same issue. The original and a replacement IIRC.

Although I've also heard many with the same experience as you. Lot's of miles with no problems.

Maybe they had a bad batch with brittle plastic?

Yes, I have a 06 FJR. Got the Yamaha Top Box first thing. Two weeks ago I see that the base is broke around where it mounts to the base plate. Took it to the dealership where I bought it and they are sending it to Mother Yamaha. Dealership told me that there was no way that Yamaha would take responsibility for it but they would send it to them anyway. So never never never buy the Yamaha Top Box.

Cheers
Get on the phone to Customer Service at Yamaha and voice loud and clear your problem with the box and your dealer. You have more pull than your dealer with Yamaha....you don't have to take it any more! PM. <>< ;)

Is there any more info about that.

I just experienced this thing.

It was quite a lot of work to glue things and reinforce with aluminum plate.

Is there any more info about that.

I just experienced this thing.

It was quite a lot of work to glue things and reinforce with aluminum plate.
Not that I know of. I don't think many have gotten much satisfaction from Yamaha. Most have done the same thing you have and reinforced the bottom. If you look on this forum and fjrowners.com you can find some related stories of the bottom cracking.

I went with the Givi V46 due to the problems I had heard the Yamaha box had.