Yamaha Touring Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Crab

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a 2007 FJR. The bike is stock and I will need a touring trunk so that my wife and I can carry our belongings.

I've read that the Givi trunks sometimes become detached from the bike, so I'm thinking that I will spend the extra cash and get a genuine Yamaha trunk that's painted to match the bike.

Can someone tell me if the Yamaha trunk can hold two full-face helmets?

I'm about to buy a 2007 FJR. The bike is stock and I will need a touring trunk so that my wife and I can carry our belongings.

I've read that the Givi trunks sometimes become detached from the bike, so I'm thinking that I will spend the extra cash and get a genuine Yamaha trunk that's painted to match the bike.

No. It will hold one. However each sidecase will hold a helmet. The Yamaha box is not a great example of efficient use of space, but I still prefer the looks.

And the factory trunk does not come with the backrest attached. It is sold seperately. From what I have been told here, it places the passenger to far forward and is not needed.

I also prefer the looks of the Yamaha trunk. That said, it is outrageously expensive, as is the required mounting bracket.

I have a 2008 with the factory trunk, with back pad. My wife says it's very comfortable, and doesn't push her forward. However, she is relatively small, or in reality, "average" size. If your passenger is larger, I suppose it could be an issue. My wife always wears an armored jacket (with built-in rudimentary spine padding), so I'm pretty sure she'd be just as comfortable without the trunk pad there. If your passenger is coming from a cruiser, and she's used to leaning way back on a sissy bar, she'll have some adapting to do.

Yes, it's a pisser about the helmets. It's so close to being able to fit 2 helmets nicely, that it's hard to believe they overlooked that in the design phase. One other bitch.....how can you design such a fantastic sport tourer, with the hard luggage that you will likely pack full for an extended trip, and then not put a helmet lock on it? Sure, a helmet will fit in each saddlebag, but then somebody may walk away with all the clothing that you left on the sidewalk when you emptied your saddlebags to put the helmets in. Even my crotch rocket has a helmet lock from the factory...

I've only heard of one Givi trunk detaching itself, and my speculation on it was crudded up gunk in the latch, not allowing the latch to fully engage. Mine has survived two lowsides without detaching, and was fully loaded in one of those. Stayed on the bike, and no damage to contents, including a laptop.

I have no issues with the Givi.

Get the Givi. Looks better, more spacious, less expensive, and with Givi's rack, stronger.

I have no issues with the Givi.

Get the Givi. Looks better, more spacious, less expensive, and with Givi's rack, stronger.

+1 on the Givi

I also prefer the looks of the Yamaha trunk. That said, it is outrageously expensive, as is the required mounting bracket.

I have a 2008 with the factory trunk, with back pad. My wife says it's very comfortable, and doesn't push her forward. However, she is relatively small, or in reality, "average" size. If your passenger is larger, I suppose it could be an issue. My wife always wears an armored jacket (with built-in rudimentary spine padding), so I'm pretty sure she'd be just as comfortable without the trunk pad there. If your passenger is coming from a cruiser, and she's used to leaning way back on a sissy bar, she'll have some adapting to do.

Yes, it's a pisser about the helmets. It's so close to being able to fit 2 helmets nicely, that it's hard to believe they overlooked that in the design phase. One other bitch.....how can you design such a fantastic sport tourer, with the hard luggage that you will likely pack full for an extended trip, and then not put a helmet lock on it? Sure, a helmet will fit in each saddlebag, but then somebody may walk away with all the clothing that you left on the sidewalk when you emptied your saddlebags to put the helmets in. Even my crotch rocket has a helmet lock from the factory...

Our experience is the same as yours. I think it looks cleaner on the bike then a Givi, but it costs A LOT more. If you have to get two helmets in it, then a Givi is the way to go.

I have the matte black E52 Maxia on my '07. No pics, but everyone has told me it looks pretty good hanging on the back. It holds 2 helmets w/Scala rider units attached to them.

For what it's worth, when going for the Yamaha trunk, be carefull not to overload it - weightwise speaking, so no two-four of beers in there - as it seems even with the plate reinforcement the unit can crack, just like mine did when had by the previous owner('06).

Also, avoid really bumpy roads - or smooth roads with bad-ass potholes - as the up and down shock seems like it might also be a contributor to breakage of the Yamaha top case. Good Luck!

I was lucky enough to get a color-matched E52 for my '03, but I would have gotten one in neon green if that's all I could have had at the time.

DSC02471a.jpg

I also would have done without the backrest had I known. Now you know. Don't get the backrest. It takes up enough space to crowd your passenger, and her jacket's pack pad is enough cushion against the case anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the matte black E52 Maxia on my '07. No pics, but everyone has told me it looks pretty good hanging on the back. It holds 2 helmets w/Scala rider units attached to them.
My V46 matches my 07. You might still be able to find one like this.

592396690_photobucket_6217_.jpg

I bought a Givi E52 maxia from a forum member and it has the back pad on it. My wife has never mentioned any issues with the pad pushing her forward. Also, I was lucky in that the PO had the case painted a silver that pretty much matches my 06AE, but there are a couple of resources here on the forum that apparently do a stellar job of painting cases, so get what you can get and don't worry about the color. That's 'easy' to fix.

And for the record, I think the Givi looks better than the stocker (at least the one I have does!).

For what it's worth, when going for the Yamaha trunk, be carefull not to overload it - weightwise speaking, so no two-four of beers in there - as it seems even with the plate reinforcement the unit can crack, just like mine did when had by the previous owner('06).

Also, avoid really bumpy roads - or smooth roads with bad-ass potholes - as the up and down shock seems like it might also be a contributor to breakage of the Yamaha top case. Good Luck!
Saxman is right on the bumpy roads , :angry2: I went on a ride with a couple of buddys & some of the roads were not the best <_< so 2 days later i was checking out me 07 & found the bottom of the Yamaha box broken & it looks cracked real bad. :angry: So i`m off to dealer friday to see if Y.E.S. will cover it (i really hope so) If i have to buy another box it will either be a Givi or Shad, not the factory yamaha one.

I was at the dealer today putting down my deposit on my shiny new (to me) 2007 FJR. The bike is pretty much stock, but does come with the Yamaha trunk mount already installed. So, with that said, I'm going to go with the Yamaha trunk. While I was there, the dealer pulled up the recall notices for the bike and there was one recall for the Yamaha trunk. Apparently there's a new reinforcement modification kit from Yamaha which resolves the cracking issue.

Except it doesn't quite. There are still cracked boxes that have been through the recall.

But good luck with it. There are a ton of them out there with no problems.

There are other recalls that affect '07 bikes, make sure yours is checked for those. There's an altitude issue with the ECU, and a MPG readout on the LCD panel, gets locked at 17mpg and never works again. Somehow. Your dealer can find out nearlt instantly if they've been done on your bike.

There are other recalls that affect '07 bikes, make sure yours is checked for those. There's an altitude issue with the ECU, and a MPG readout on the LCD panel, gets locked at 17mpg and never works again. Somehow. Your dealer can find out nearlt instantly if they've been done on your bike.
Thanks. It looks like the ECU altitude recall has been performed, as well as the ignition switch recall. Didn't see anything about the MPG display recall, I'll ask. Thanks again!