Yamaha Touring Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Crab

Reaction score
I know that a lot of you don't think too highly of the Yamaha Touring Windshield, but I wanted to share my experience.

I'm 6'0" with a 32" inseam. I bought my '07 FJR about a week ago and the first thing that I noticed on my maiden ride home was this absolutely unbearable vibration/buffeting of my helmet with the stock windshield fully extended. It was crazy, it even vibrated my teeth!

After much researching here (and elsewhere), I decided to start with the lowest-cost option and work my way up. I was able to purchase a used Yamaha Touring windshield from a member here and I installed it tonight.

So, what is my experience with this new windshield? Absolutely amazing! With the shield fully extended, I had -zero- buffeting and -zero- wind noise (well, almost)... it is absolutely wonderful! No need to continue on my quest, I am quite happy with Yamaha's solution.

Just thought I'd share.

Steve

My second Yammie touring shield is on my bike and another almost new one bought from a forum member is in the wings waiting to go on. Love them. Then again, most don't.

My second Yammie touring shield is on my bike and another almost new one bought from a forum member is in the wings waiting to go on. Love them. Then again, most don't.
+1 on the yamaha touring windscreen. I have used it since new (2008) and it works great for me. The stock is still in the box and has never been used.

SPU how the hell do you go through so many windscreens? I think I have only a few nicks from some rocks but other than that it is still like new. But then again my eyes have been on the downhill silde lately.

Dave

I also have a OEM Yamaha touring shield and feel it performs very well, significantly better than the stocker. Also have a Rifle and a -3" Cee Baily shorty with light tint.

The touring shield also provides a decent amount of non-turbulent air flow in the down position. The Rifle provides the best coverage and less back pressure, which is more critical for pillion riders.

As for looks and around town (100 mile rides) the Cee Bailey -3" is my favorite and works surprisingly well at speed in the "up" position. My pillion does have difficulty at 75mph and up speeds requiring more stress to hang on with the wind blast though.

[ SPU how the hell do you go through so many windscreens? I think I have only a few nicks from some rocks but other than that it is still like new. But then again my eyes have been on the downhill silde lately.

Dave
A lot more gravel, bugs, etc. in the sticks around here my friend. We get to ride faster in the more open spaces compared to New England as well. Stuff hits it at an accelerated pace.

And if a shield gets a nick or two in my line of sight that I can't polish out, it drives me nuts so I retire it. I still have the stocker around somewhere...

Shields are like women! everyone has their own opinion of what works for them! Personally, i am also 6 feet and have a 32 inch inseam and found the Yammy tall shield not to my liking. i felt it buffetted too much. I now have a rifle and am totally pleased

Yeah I'm 6'2 and pretty much everything is too small including the VStream if I had a desire for 'complete protection.' Still plenty of wind noise and buffeting. With spacers installed I really like the stock and my Cee Bailey sport shield, which keeps my head in clean free air even in the up position. The VStream is great when it is cold out though.