Yamaha Travel Trunk recall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VB_FJR

Reaction score
I'm not sure how many of ya'll have the Yamaha trunks (I know the Givi trunks are pretty popular) and this may also apply to the other trunk users as well (not the recall, the warning in the letter). This is a direct quote from the letter:

"If you do own this travel trunk, however, we want to alert you to a condition that does not meet our standards for quality. Due to insufficient vibration dampening between the trunk and the required attachment plate (rack), it is possible for the trunk's base to fracture if the trunk is heavily loaded.

{Next paragraph deleted as it is not relevant]

In closing, let us take this opportunity to remind you that this travel trunk is designed to be used instead of saddlebags. Do not use the trunk at the same time as the saddlebags because of the increased risk of overloading your motorcycle. Also remember not to overload the trunk itself - maximum load capacity is 11 pounds."

Nowehere do I recall seeing or hearing that the trunk was to be used instead of and not with the saddlebags. At EOM 2005 the wife and I were one of quite a few riders using both. On a typical trip we have both saddlebags, the trunk and the tankbag fully loaded as well as the GPS, MP3 player and Chatterbox all onboard. Have we been lucky or is Yamaha being too conservative?

If you'd like to see a copy of the letter, email me as the forum won't allow me to attach the image ([email protected])

Nowehere do I recall seeing or hearing that the trunk was to be used instead of and not with the saddlebags. At EOM 2005 the wife and I were one of quite a few riders using both. On a typical trip we have both saddlebags, the trunk and the tankbag fully loaded as well as the GPS, MP3 player and Chatterbox all onboard. Have we been lucky or is Yamaha being too conservative?
I received my letter a couple of days ago and am having the recall performed tomorrow. I read the "trunk is not to be used in conjunction with saddlebags" disclaimer somewhere before but I just chalk it up to legal stuff and Yamaha covering themselves from liability. My opinion is to just make sure you don't overload the total weight of the bike, use common sense when loading the trunk and saddlebags, and remember that stuff happens on the road so be prepared (and don't be too surprised) when something breaks, etc.

I will get the recall done ... and I will continue to use my trunk and saddlebags together.

Aghhhh! I lost the topcase (lightly loaded, Maybe 3 lbs.) on the Richardson Highway, Alaska between mile 204 and 114, last night. I spent 6 hours looking for it and could not find it. the bracket was broke. The Richardson has many frost heaves and I did hit a large pot hole. If this case comes off at speed (70 mph) would it break open? I could not find any pieces or evidence of it on the highway. Would it stay together and roll like a ball? I would send a phot of the case if I had my digital camera. It is in the case.

Any suggestions? The bike was purchased used from Northern Power Sports in Fairbanks with all 3 cases attached. This is the only time I heard about using only the top case.

Thanks

email [email protected]

907-320-0216 :angry:

Nowehere do I recall seeing or hearing that the trunk was to be used instead of and not with the saddlebags.
I got my notice today as well.

Regarding using the topcase and the saddlebags at the same time, my manual specifically advises against that. Don't know about earlier years.

Do I follow the manual's advice?

No.

Aghhhh! I lost the topcase (lightly loaded, Maybe 3 lbs.) on the Richardson Highway, Alaska ...
Sorry to hear that. That really stinks. Hopefully you didn't lose anything to valuable. Did you backtrack the entire 90 miles?

It probably depends on the circumstances as to whether the case would break open but my guess is that neither the top case nor its latch is strong enough to withstand a significant impact with the road. If I'm wrong, great. But I bet those suckers bust open more than not.

BTW ... and I know alot of people do this ... I find myself frequently checking my mirrors and reaching back with my hand to verify that the cases are still with me. I guess it's another thing that I'm paranoid about.

"BTW ... and I know alot of people do this ... I find myself frequently checking my mirrors and reaching back with my hand to verify that the cases are still with me. I guess it's another thing that I'm paranoid about."

FYI.... You can purchase 2 small Pins at Lowe's or Home Depot and drill the appropriate size hole thru the lower black plastic bracket that the side cases sit down in. These Pins are drilled on one end for a retainer pin to slide thru to secure them. Bag removal takes an extra 30 seconds but you'll most likely eliminate the worry while you're riding. Just a suggestion!

Bobcat

Tenn.

Oh yeah, I got the recall notice on the Trunk also.

"BTW ... and I know alot of people do this ... I find myself frequently checking my mirrors and reaching back with my hand to verify that the cases are still with me. I guess it's another thing that I'm paranoid about."

FYI.... You can purchase 2 small Pins at Lowe's or Home Depot and drill the appropriate size hole thru the lower black plastic bracket that the side cases sit down in. These Pins are drilled on one end for a retainer pin to slide thru to secure them. Bag removal takes an extra 30 seconds but you'll most likely eliminate the worry while you're riding. Just a suggestion!

Bobcat

Tenn.

Oh yeah, I got the recall notice on the Trunk also.
Adding the pins is a good bit of insurance on the side bags. I am still using my cracked top case and to ensure it doesn't come off, until the new one comes in, I use a wire tye from the topcase handle to the baseplate. Very simple and it cannot come off even if the latching mechanism lets go.

Is there any info on year range on this? I have a trunk but no letter.
2003 thru 2007

LC
TY dude
Don't most riders use the Top and Saddle bags at the same time? Is this a problem with other ST's? Has any FJR owner had a problem with a cracked subframe?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am getting ready to pull the trigger on another FJR. I strayed from the family and want to come home. :smilingsmiley:

Have a Yammie Top Case but no recall letter. Funny that it seems y'all that got the letters don't have the case, and us that do have the Yammie case don't have the letters. Oh well, I'll give my local stealer a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Have a Yammie Top Case but no recall letter. Funny that it seems y'all that got the letters don't have the case, and us that do have the Yammie case don't have the letters. Oh well, I'll give my local stealer a call tomorrow and see what they say.
does yamaha know you're the current owner? did you buy it 2nd hand? if so, did you get the warranty transfered? if you bought it new, did your dealer properly notify yamaha? check with yamaha corp to make sure the vin and you are linked in their system.

I got the letter late last week. Took it out to the local yuks and they had to get into their system to find it. Said they'd order the parts and give me a call in a week to ten days when the parts come in. WTF? I know this is Wyoming but we do have UPS, FedEx, USPS in this city!! But, I digress. I use the trunk with the bags whenever we're two up and haven't had any problems yet. Did a 2500 mile trip with the wife to Idaho, Montana and back here last year fully loaded. We don't put much in the trunk either. Usually just jackets and raingear. It's mainly for the wife's comfort as a backrest.

does yamaha know you're the current owner? did you buy it 2nd hand? if so, did you get the warranty transfered? if you bought it new, did your dealer properly notify yamaha? check with yamaha corp to make sure the vin and you are linked in their system.
Don't worry about the warranty - they're gonna fix it regardless of whether the warranty is expired or not.

I never got a letter either... and there is is - on my avitar!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I received a letter about the trunk recall in July. I called the dealer and they ordered parts. They were backordered. I waited weeks, months calling infrequently being asured they would call when the parts come in. I called yesterday Nov 21 and the parts "just came in". Now I need to schedule an appt for service sometime next week. Anyone have any advice on this mod? Simple enough to let the techs at it? I guess in the worst case the top box could be cracked and need replaced. Should I stick around and see the parts come off? Does the new part/mod fix the problem? What other recalls should I ask about for the 2006?