Yamaha Travel Trunk recall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only bought my bike in june or july and purchased the trunk through the parts department at the same time. My trunk actually had the recall paperwork in the box warnning me to check for features on the trunk to make sure it was the updated model. I did and it was. Then when I brought the bike in for the first 600 mile service they replaced the trunk mount again saying it was for the recall. I guess mine is twice as good now! :rolleyes:

Anyone have any further advice on this mod? Simple enough to let the techs at it? I guess in the worst case the top box could be cracked and need replaced. Should I stick around and see the parts come off? Does the new part/mod fix the problem? What other recalls should I ask about for the 2006?

Anyone have any further advice on this mod? Simple enough to let the techs at it? I guess in the worst case the top box could be cracked and need replaced. Should I stick around and see the parts come off? Does the new part/mod fix the problem? What other recalls should I ask about for the 2006?

The recall consists of a steel plate being added to the bottom of the box. It also entails replacing the mounting bracket on the bike also. The updated version has a couple of small ribs that have been added for extra support where the plastic is bent at 90 degrees from horizontal to vertical when looking at the top surface where the trunk would actually sit.

The recall consists of a steel plate being added to the bottom of the box. It also entails replacing the mounting bracket on the bike also. The updated version has a couple of small ribs that have been added for extra support where the plastic is bent at 90 degrees from horizontal to vertical when looking at the top surface where the trunk would actually sit.
Thanks! That's what I was wondering. Seems like the mod should be easy and solve potential problems.

I also noticed your hacks and will search for info on the throttle spring and barvarian jumper. I'll start with the throttle first and think about the jumper mod. Let me know what you think about these.

I just picked up a new box from flea bay...box, mount, upgrade package and backrest for $400 delivered!!! Took all of 60 seconds to install the steel plate and another 5 min to mount the backrest pad and the box itself. My advice is get it from the dealer and do it yourself.

Cary

I ended up with a extra mount and steel plate...I have it in the for sale section if anyone tired of waiting.

Cary

Had my topbox recall reinforcment kit put on today in about an hour at the dealer. ECU is on order. These are the only two recalls they had for the 06.

I have the "new and improved" top case, installed a month ago. Noticed the latch on the right side case sitting in the latch pocket, completely loose. The latch and screws were still there. Checked the top case and the screws were about to come out of the latch too. Reinstalled and tightened the screws on all the cases. How do you spell Loctite?

I had mine done at the same time as the ECU swap this week. They didn't change the attach plate because they said I had the newer version already. Hmm... Have to go look closer.

I had mine done at the same time as the ECU swap this week. They didn't change the attach plate because they said I had the newer version already. Hmm... Have to go look closer.
The tech bulletin above shows the differance so check it out to keep em honest. Notice my box doesn't bounce around as much it used to. Still need to get that ECU.

The tech bulletin above shows the differance so check it out to keep em honest. Notice my box doesn't bounce around as much it used to. Still need to get that ECU.
I can't get that link to work anymore. Is the tech bulletin still there?

I can't get that link to work anymore. Is the tech bulletin still there?
I had to remove the bulletins from my server due to a nasty little letter that came in the mail from Yamaha's legal dept. Apparently they are not too fond of people posting copies of bulletins on the web, something about copyrights. I would suggest being very carefull if you plan on hosting anything like that...they are watching. BTW the only place I posted the bulletins was on this forum.... <_<

Last edited by a moderator: