Yellowstone NP and Ravens

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverbear

Reaction score
My wife and I just returned from a 2800 mile round trip from So. Cal to Yellowstone NP on our 2003 FJR. On the way we visited Zion, Brice, and Grand Canyon North Rim National Parks. The trip was hands down awesome. We would do it in a heartbeat again if we had the time and money. The scenery and riding experience was beyond our imagination, even though we've been riding for more than 20 years now.

One funny incident occurred to us in Yellowstone NP, that I would like to share with you. We parked in the lot next to the Old Faithful visitor center. We ate at the deli, and walked around the geysers waiting for Old Faithful to do it's thing. When the time drew closer to the erruption we sat down on the bench and paitently waited - taking note of several ravens in our view. A park ranger came by picking up trash, and he commented that the ravens are one of the smartest birds he has ever seen. He recalled when he watched a raven open a back pack zipper on a motorcycle seat. My wife an I smiled at the story as the guy continued on perforiming his duty.

When we returned to our bike I noticed that my jacket had a bird dropping on it. Miffed at the site, I started to wipe it off with a tissue. As I looked down at the pavement I noticed a bright green and orange ear plug rolling in the wind. Interesting - I thought it is just like the ones I use. Next, I saw some rubber bands scattered around - much like the ones I carry on my tank bag. I glanced on my tank bag and -- OH S**T! The vinyl map cover of the bag had several holes pecked in it, but the zippers were closed. I looked into the side pockets, and noticed that everything was messed up in them, clearly not the way I left it. This is when a lady came by and told us that two ravens had a field day with our tank bag until someone was kind enough to scare them away, and put our scattered belongings back into the pockets.

So, take caution, if you carry a zippered bag on your bike in Yellowsone NP, then take it with you on your walk, or cover it up. And, yes, the ravens are that smart - they will unzip a bag and go through its contents faster than you can imagine.

Silverbear

Glad you recovered your belongings, yellowstone is on my #1 list next year. We covered 2400 miles from Laguna Hills, Reno (WFO) to Craterlake Oregon, then down the coast back home. It was also a fantastic and unforgetful ride, no mishaps, just one pair of lost sunglasses I forgot on the seat....Maui Jims...$$$