YES Warranty Cancellation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ice Man

Reaction score
Back in November 2005, I traded a 2004 VStar in for a 2005 FJR ABS (purchased the FJR from a dealer in Austin, TX). The next day, I sent the YES Warranty I had purchased for the VStar back to the Yamaha dealer in New Braunfels, TX (where I purchased the VStar) asking them to cancel effective the date I traded it in on the FJR. After a written follow-up with the dealer in January 2006 and no response, I phoned the Yamaha dealer in New Braunfels, TX and asked about the status -- the Finance mgr told me he would call me back, which he never did. So I wrote to Yamaha complaining about the poor service from the Yamaha dealer in New Braunfels, TX. Yamaha finally responded indicating they would credit the dealer's account and I should receive my refund in March. What lousy service -- you notify the dealer in early November of the cancellation and you don't hear squat from them. Then, you have to write to Yamaha to get some satisfaction, but you have to wait til late March to receive your refund.

Suggestion: If you decide to cancel your YES Warranty, be sure to send a copy of your request to Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA; 6555 Katella Avenue, Cypress, California 90630. If you don't, your dealer may offer you the same poor service that the Yamaha dealer in New Braunfels, TX has provided to me.

Didn't realize you could cancell a extended warranty and receive a partial refund. How was this prorated?

The dealer is supposed to figure the pro-rata unearned portion of the warranty cost and return it to you in event of cancellation. The start date is the date of purcase of the warranty. If you bought a 5 year warranty exactly one year ago, then you should receive 80% of the cost of the warranty in the form of a refund. 4 years divided by 5 years = 80%.

Thanks Iceman that information is good to no. Always learning stuff on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most folks just use the YES as an additional selling perk to help with the resale price; transferring it to the new owner.

I suspect this is the same dealer I purchased my FJR from. I was underwhelmed with their knowlege of the bike when I picked it up.

They didn't use loc-tite on the bag locks.

They told me the battery was under the seat.

They were unaware that there is a handle under the left side of the seat to get it up on the centerstand.

Seemed like nice enough people, just not real sharp on the FJR. I figure it's because they have had very little experience with them.

Have not heard anything pro or con about how well they repair problems. Hopefully I won't need to find out.

I know that if you have a warranty on a vehicle as in auto or truck, the warranty is transferable if done within the proper amount of time after the sale of the vehicle or you can just notify the company and they will refund the remaining amount to the registered owner. But a warranty is a good selling point if still in effect when the vehicle is sold. Painman. <>< :D