Yoemite Rider In Collision With Another Harley

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Joe, how's the post incident situation? You and Linda doing OK? Started the claim procedure yet?

Oh, and remind me not to wear my tasseled Bostonians around you guys... Wouldn't want to get beat up! :D

Hey Joe, how's the post incident situation? You and Linda doing OK? Started the claim procedure yet?
Oh, and remind me not to wear my tasseled Bostonians around you guys... Wouldn't want to get beat up! :D
Do they make tassels for your saddlebag spandex ??? :haha:

Hey Joe, how's the post incident situation?  You and Linda doing OK?  Started the claim procedure yet? 
Oh, and remind me not to wear my tasseled Bostonians around you guys...  Wouldn't want to get beat up! :D
Do they make tassels for your saddlebag spandex ??? :haha:
+1

He he he!!!

:rolf:

:tease:

Wow- what a story. Yet again more real-life examples to learn from; glad to hear all were okay. NOW, I am curious; sorry to stereotype, but was the HD rider wearing any protective gear? There has always seemed to be a direct correlation between protective apparel and riding skill/decisions...............

Holly shit, Joseph. I just logged on and found out what happened. Glad you and Linda are OK.

I'm always telling Jacquie when she points out some interesting off the road, sorry I missed it because I'm so focused on the road and traffic. Add to that mix: twisties, cliffs, obstructive curves, traffic, great scenery, a good-looking babe and an occassional errant HD rider.

Steady as she goes until we meet again, Joseph.

The Harley rider was wearing protective clothing. If you look at the picture Joe posted, you'll notice his wife wearing full clothing, and see his jacket draped over his windshield.

I tend to believe his story that he looked away for an instant and when he looked up, the cars had stopped. IIRC, the Park Rangers were flagging the stopped car to move along (remember, all memories are mere "flashes and glimpses"). I remember seeing this guy sliding sideways (he must have hit the rear brake first) at about 35-45 degrees to the line of travel. "Oh-my-God! This isn't good." Glancing in the right mirror and seeing Joe headed to the fog line, then thinking, "Whew, that was close!" Then seeing something spinning on the ground to Joe's left (later realizing it was the left pannier) and Joe stopping. "Oh dang, drat, heck and pshaw!"

Thankfully no "body" was injured. It should remind all of us how a mere moment of distraction can have dire consequences (Uhm, don't tell me you never look away or are distracted by scenery, etc.). The Harley rider was very apoplogetic, and severely out numbered. PennerK was a godsend. So calm and collected, matter of fact, etc. He sure kept the focus and attitude headed in a good direction.

Now, heal, Joe. Get the bike repaired and let's ride. BTW, to add my +1, how's Linda? You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks everyone for the kind, ongoing good wishes. Both Linda and I are fine. No latent injuries have yet surfaced. The only significant effect at this point in time seems to be that while driving today I expected every oncomming vehicle to cross the line into my lane.

I started the insurance process yesterday with a call to my brother-in-law (currently in Asheville, NC - let's all take over my sister's house there sometime and hit the Blue Ridge Parkway/Dragon) who spent years working as a personal injury attorney. He told me to call my insurance company so I did. They started a file and I let them know that I did not need immediate money from them but preferred to wait until I got a check in the full amount of the damages from the other guy's insurance company. I expect to hear from my company's claims adjuster in the near future and from the other company later. I will insist on a partial teardown to inspect for damage that is not visible, particularly under the "seat cowling" (is that the correct name), so my guess is that the bike will be taken in to my local dealer at some point before a settlement is reached.

Ed, thanks for the kind thoughts. Those good looking babes can certainly be a distraction. What did that old bumper sticker say? "Watch My Rear End, Not Hers!"

Hey "Giuseppe"

Just read this thread. Glad you made it and the damage was limited.

MMV was way too premature, bro ;) Yer still a kid at LV

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Stef, glad someone here actually reads the signature lines and "speaks" latin. Oh, and sorry for beating you to the avatar!

Oh, and sorry for beating you to the avatar!
Yeah, I hated you for a while because of that ;) ;) ;)

But seen as how I was born in MCMLI I guess it's yours by right... :p

Stef

But seen as how I was born in MCMLI I guess it's yours by right...
...and it seems as if I got here one day ahed of you. Besides, it might actually be an Allosaur.

Well, I got the word today that the other fellow's insurance company had accepted full responsibility. If I can confirm this tomorrow then there will be no more chasing police (ranger) reports (don't ask) or such. Of course now I have to see how Progressive's claim settlement process works, with my insurer (21st Century) and P.I. attorney borther-in-law waiting in the wings in case of "lack of understanding" on Progressive's part. In the meanwhile, just for fun, check out this "hog" I shot with a camera out the back window of a car last week...

PICT0189.jpg

Givi's new pigskin top box? A Cambodian Harley? I haven't yet figured out if that's a piece of fruit or a cell phone in the rider's hand.

Put de lime in de co-co-nut and eat it all up.......Oh, wait a minute, that's Jamaica, not Cambodia. :lol:

Glad to here tings are moving along, MCML. It will be interesting to see how Progressive "plays-the-game". Get a thorough estimate from your dealer.

After a few phone calls and one re-scheduling, I met last week with the claims aduster. That meeting was followed by a bit of leg work (phone calls, actually) to confirm a few numbers. In the end, the other guy's insurance company agreed to pay for repairs to everything that needed to be repaired. I did not feel at all as if my chain was being yanked.

They offered "full list" replacement cost for OEM Yamaha parts though that is a somewhat fuzzy number with each Yamaha dealer's parts department (I called Kolbe, North Hollywood, Simi Valley, and University from whom I received both list and "delivered" prices) quoting a different price all of which were a bit higher than those in the adjuster's computer program. In every case though, the adjuster ageed to increase his original parts prices to match what the dealers quoted. Parts, of course, will come from Gary/University who's prices are, to say the least, competitive.

The insurance company (Progressive) also prices labor a bit lower than some Yamaha dealers quote (maximum of $75/hour versus $90 for example at Kolbe, though lower at CalCoast) and some of the "remove and reinstall" times in the program are humorous. However, the adjuster was liberal with the labor hours he plugged in to cover those items that were not programmed into his computer (eg replace the reflector on the saddle bag, rekey the lock cylinder, "install" the saddlebag, replace the reflectors that I had added on the rear of the saddle bags) and the total labor they are funding matches the estimate that I had received from my dealer.

All in all, if they actually sent me the check they said they had issued, then I will have been "made whole" insofar as the material aspects of the collision are concerned.

Yosmite entrance fee - $20. Cost of repairs to FJR after being Struck by HD - $2,000. Having good friends there to help in time of trouble - priceless. Thanks again to all.

Joseph,

Glad it's all working out well in the end, even though you don't get compensated for your time or that stain in your pants. See you in Morro Bay.

BTW I had never paid attention to your handle. I didn't know you were soooo old.