You can get to the edge of the tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, Goto www.utahsba.com 300 bucks for all day incuding lunch
They do it about 2 times a year. Next one is next year. They do have an ART class tho and you can get your racer cert from that. It is 160 bucks but not on the main track. It is on the 1 mile long cart track

30 minutes of classroom 30 minutes of track, all day long

there was 1 instructor for each two students.

Started off slow, max 40mph

By the 5-6 session, Balls out EXCEPT on the straight, 40 MPH there all day long, who cares, the back straight was good and the cuvres had no speed limit
I hope to get in the class next spring. Didn't realize there was a class this fall. Looks like good stuff.

Little time on the track and yes,. the FJR can get all the way to the edge of the tire
In that tire, yes; it has a pretty flat profile. Is it a D220? The Z6 I have is much more 'triangular', meaning it takes more lean angle to get to the edge. You might get to the edge of that one too, but just wanted to point out the differences in profile. Mine is not to the edge after scraping pegs with my paltry 155# weight and stock suspension set up per SR and 'hard'. The problem is I don't know how much more you can lean it without hitting hard parts, and don't want to find out.

I thought the mufflers would touch right away after scraping, but you didn't mention what you have: stock or A/M? Didn't your centerstand touch WAY earlier than engine cases? And side stand on the left? You're definitely leaning that sucker MUCH more than we can on a stock bike; am sure your A/M suspension has A LOT to do with that.

I've been to Superbike school twice, and also love the track (none around here), but I don't have the desire to ride my FJR any harder than I do now on well known roads. But I'd love to be able to keep that pace on new roads if I had more safety margin, but I can't. Not a complaint since I have basically the same clearance now that I've had on my previous ST bikes. This bike handles the best, by the way. If I could only get rid of the surging, I'd be in motorcycle heaven indeed. Later.

JC
I had my FJR on the track too. That is what the pictures are of. The dark rims are because I have an 06AE model and that is how they come

The tire I am running in the picture is a Pilot Power, front and back with 41psi rear and 39psi front. I dont know how you can determine its profile is flat from a picture if you cannot even identify the tire make?

After you drag peg the bike will go ALOT!!! more. Yes, I have hit my center stand on the left side but not that day. I was two up on stock suspension and 3 bags full.

I suspect that my pipes would touch down before other parts however, on the right side I have hit my brake peddle, header, and scraped my faring forward of my header. I again was two up and had to leans it over a bit more to avoid an object (it was the edge of the road I was avoiding)

My bike has the Penske Triple Clicker, Holeshot slipons, PCIII w/holeshot map, G2 and spring mod, and a few other things.

My front preload is all the way up and the bike sits pretty high since I have very little sag now that it is not undersprung anymore.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it!! :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
They taught me how to ride better, faster, and SAFER all at the same time. I am difinatly a better rider for it. Unless you crash, I can tell you the FJR could care less. It is a stout sumbitch. THey did not insist I go fast at all. They worked on Smooth... I would not hesitate to take mine out again, I just think a more purpose built bike would be even more fun there.
Go for it man, You will become addicted!!
Curious how the AE performed on the track. What were your throttle and braking techniques as you went into gentle and hairpin curves. How did the paddle shifter work for your riding. I have an AE and an 05 that I am taking to Fontana CA Speedway for track days. Which bike would you suggest as the best one for my first track day riding?

They taught me how to ride better, faster, and SAFER all at the same time. I am difinatly a better rider for it. Unless you crash, I can tell you the FJR could care less. It is a stout sumbitch. THey did not insist I go fast at all. They worked on Smooth... I would not hesitate to take mine out again, I just think a more purpose built bike would be even more fun there.
Go for it man, You will become addicted!!
Curious how the AE performed on the track. What were your throttle and braking techniques as you went into gentle and hairpin curves. How did the paddle shifter work for your riding. I have an AE and an 05 that I am taking to Fontana CA Speedway for track days. Which bike would you suggest as the best one for my first track day riding?
Since I own an AE, I would take the AE becuase I am so used to it. The Paddle shifter no longer takes any thought for me at all. Muscle memory and all that stuff

I made no adjustments to it at all. I was just practicing being smooth, practicing trail braking (new to me until then). It being an AE made no difference at all. I would choose the AE just because it is cooler (heat) unless the 05 has been modified.

The track is fun, hell, take both of them!

Nope, just remembered, I had a habit of using to low a gear for compression braking and had to shift up to exit the corner. They told me I was leaving "Blackies" and I goess that means pulling to hard and too close to the edge. Higher gear on exit would have solved that i think

Last edited by a moderator:
I am lookin for a used Litre bike and there are several here ranging from 1700 bucks to you name it.
Wanna come play?? it is fun on this track!!
In my humble opinion you would be much better off with something like a SV-650 set up as a track bike than any liter bike.

You will learn much more on corner entrances and exits, braking and throttle control, which all add up to good bike balance and faster times.

Once you master all that you can move up to larger displacement for a few tenths of a second on the straights.

Once again, that's just my humble opinion.

I am lookin for a used Litre bike and there are several here ranging from 1700 bucks to you name it.
Wanna come play?? it is fun on this track!!
In my humble opinion you would be much better off with something like a SV-650 set up as a track bike than any liter bike.

You will learn much more on corner entrances and exits, braking and throttle control, which all add up to good bike balance and faster times.

Once you master all that you can move up to larger displacement for a few tenths of a second on the straights.

Once again, that's just my humble opinion.
I agree with you and actually started looking at the 600 class machines yesterday. You are correct sir!

Hey Cdog,

Call me and let me know the next time there is one of these classes you went to, I'd love to come along.

Maybe even ride.....

I think you have my number, IM if you don't, thanks.

Hey Cdog,
Call me and let me know the next time there is one of these classes you went to, I'd love to come along.

Maybe even ride.....

I lost your number but can IM you. It is FUN!! Hey you ever get that triple clicker shock in from GP yet??

Yea, I am lookin at a cheap one. No need to toss a new one down the track...... Seen one for 1700 today... Not yet...... Not the right one. I am gonna buy used for sure....

Cdog..... look around for police impound auctions or salvage title bikes (repairables) in your area. I know here in the northeast you can pick up bikes like that CHEEEEP, and do minimal fixing to get it on the track. Shit, who needs a title on a track bike? I was thinking the same thing myself until I remembered I still have to dump a ton of $$ into my dirtbike. :rolleyes:

Yea, I am lookin at a cheap one. No need to toss a new one down the track...... Seen one for 1700 today... Not yet...... Not the right one. I am gonna buy used for sure....

Cdog..... look around for police impound auctions or salvage title bikes (repairables) in your area. I know here in the northeast you can pick up bikes like that CHEEEEP, and do minimal fixing to get it on the track. Shit, who needs a title on a track bike? I was thinking the same thing myself until I remembered I still have to dump a ton of $$ into my dirtbike. :rolleyes:

Now, I had not considered police impounds. I dont care about the title either. It would not be "streetable" anyway. Thanks

Another benefit of riding smaller displacement bikes is they are muuuuuuuch easier on tires that the 750's and larger bikes.

Which = more track time for less $$$ :yahoo:

There is also a valid point.......... I am sold, just made an offer one a SV 650. See if it flies. Nice lookin bike!!

Cdog was test driving a new track bike the other night, of which I got a couple pics of and wanted to share with all.

0917071922.jpg

0917071921.jpg

I am still working on ATGATT with him.....and leaving his truck keys OUT of his pockets when riding!!

0917071954.jpg

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Hey Cdog,

Maybe even ride.....

I lost your number but can IM you. It is FUN!! Hey you ever get that triple clicker shock in from GP yet??

I still have your number, so I'll just give you a call.

Ya, I got the shock last week but do not have it installed yet because.....

I just installed some Remus Hexaacone slip ons, that really shouldn't effect anything. So I put some miles in with those just to make sure everything is on the level.

Then I installed some Michelin Pilot 2's that I wanted to get a feel for before I installed the shock. I love the feel of the tires so far but have a bit of vibration around 90 to 110 mph that think is from the front tire not balanced correctly, which needs to be resolved.

I just wanted to make one change at a time so I know what I'm dealing with, I know the slip ons shouldn't make a difference in handling but stranger things have happened, right?

Thanks for the info bud!

Hey Cdog,

Maybe even ride.....

I still have your number, so I'll just give you a call.

Ya, I got the shock last week but do not have it installed yet because.....

I just installed some Remus Hexaacone slip ons, that really shouldn't effect anything. So I put some miles in with those just to make sure everything is on the level.

Then I installed some Michelin Pilot 2's that I wanted to get a feel for before I installed the shock. I love the feel of the tires so far but have a bit of vibration around 90 to 110 mph that think is from the front tire not balanced correctly, which needs to be resolved.

I just wanted to make one change at a time so I know what I'm dealing with, I know the slip ons shouldn't make a difference in handling but stranger things have happened, right?

Thanks for the info bud!

No Problemo. You wanna come buy we can balance that front tire. I got the stuff/tools/weights and it is pretty easy to do. Andrew (Ovale) and Sherri (Joyful) will be at my place this weekend anyway so you can meet them

I dont know how you can determine its profile is flat from a picture if you cannot even identify the tire make?
Because the picture is pretty clear, and am not blind (it's like telling me I need to know your exact weight to determine you're a lot heavier than me -if you're the one on post #32). Never claimed to know the brand (I asked you for it), and no need to. Now I know Piot Sports have what I consider a 'flat' profile. What's up with this crowd, geez.

On a happier note, thanks for the info on dragging hard parts, but with stock pipes, am afraid they'd be the first to touch before anything else. Later.

JC

ELP, Dude I was ribbing you. And that is not me in the post #32. It is my fat twin brother who looks exactly like me.

My Holeshot cans are a little higher than my stockers are but not a whole lot.

I am trying to get a used SV650 right now that is all set up for the track. Hope Hope Hope..........