Yuasa battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou D

Reaction score
Hi All, I bought my 2006 last year. I can`t figure out how old the battery is. The bike has 4,000 miles. Is it possible this is the original battery? Its a Yuasa GT14P-4. I emailed Yuasa but they didn`t answer. Its a sealed unit. No date. Anyone? Thanks, Lou D

It is possible that it is still the original. I have a 2007 that still has its original battery and works just fine. A lot of people recommend changing them every four years just to prevent a breakdown in the middle of nowhere. I had a Suzuki bandit before and it's original battery lasted about eight years before it finally croaked.

Why replace if it is working and still starting the bike with some authority. I agree that if the cranking is wimpy, it's time for a new one. Batteries can last a long time if they are properly maintained. My 2007 is still happy with the original battery after 60,000 miles.

If the battery struggles to start the bike after a few minutes of rest when the motor is hot (like after putting gas in it), then it's time to replace. Until then, use it. Yes they are a sealed battery.

LOL, took my 'old used, POS' battery off the FJR and put it in the POS 14 HP Sears lawn tractor.

It still cranks the the lawn tractor no problem, so I spent good money for nothing on the feejer... :huh:

You only need to break down once on the road due to your battery going dead before you realize the battery is a maintenance item just like plugs, oil, filters etc. They don't always tell you when they are going to crap out. I know people like to wring out their last pennies worth but as stated in the first sentence. just sayin

1331469561[/url]' post='943075']You only need to break down once on the road due to your battery going dead before you realize the battery is a maintenance item just like plugs, oil, filters etc. They don't always tell you when they are going to crap out. I know people like to wring out their last pennies worth but as stated in the first sentence. just sayin
I have also seen batteries less than a couple of months old take a dump for no apparent reason. Not always, but usually a battery will give you some warning before it goes. Not penny pinching but I don't replace a battery until there are symptoms of diminished capacity or performance.

It's probably the original. My 2005 is still on the original but will be replaced this spring although it has not displayed any problems.

1331469561[/url]' post='943075']You only need to break down once on the road due to your battery going dead before you realize the battery is a maintenance item just like plugs, oil, filters etc. They don't always tell you when they are going to crap out. I know people like to wring out their last pennies worth but as stated in the first sentence. just sayin
I have also seen batteries less than a couple of months old take a dump for no apparent reason. Not always, but usually a battery will give you some warning before it goes. Not penny pinching but I don't replace a battery until there are symptoms of diminished capacity or performance.
I have had new and expensive batteries give up the ghost for not apparent reason.

I do know that keeping your battery on the Battery Tender will extend their life cycle and maintain good performance.