Zumo 500 Screen Replacement How-To

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great guide. Wish I had this when my screen went kaput after 65,000 miles of usage. I shipped my old unit back to Garmin and received a refurb back. It's working great now, but I would've rather spent $50+shipping and use my own Torx screwdriver than the $150 it cost to replace through Garmin and not even get my original device back.

Great guide. Wish I had this when my screen went kaput after 65,000 miles of usage. I shipped my old unit back to Garmin and received a refurb back. It's working great now, but I would've rather spent $50+shipping and use my own Torx screwdriver than the $150 it cost to replace through Garmin and not even get my original device back.
+150....Dollars that is. Same happened to me.

The good/bad news is touchscreen resistive digitizers don't last forever, so maybe in a couple of years you can save that $150!!

decided to check out current option of changing screen & digitizer on my Zumo 550 since about every 2 years of lotsa use, it has failed in the past. As you can see, this is still available on ebay from the same reputable supplier in Hong Kong as I and others have purchased from:

Advertised as brand new part at $55:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390220760322

refurbished $35 (I went back to check and this is what I purchased last time in Fall 2010):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-FULL-LCD-Screen-Touch-Digitizer-For-GARMIN-ZUMO-550-79mmx64mm-/330667765387?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfd55ae8b

hope this helps someone

Mike in Nawlins'

Yeah, good thinkin', Mike.

Me being the owner of two 550's, I should at least have one replacement screen on hand at all times A few weeks ago, as the weather was getting warmer, I noticed I was getting more phantom button pushes. I was getting ready to order another screen, but decided to just disassemble the unit and back off the 4 screws that hold the touch screen to the front plastic frame. This seems to have fixed the unit for now. But I know from past experience that it is just a matter of time before the screen will go fully TU and need to be replaced.

But it's still the best MC specific GPS available IMO. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm mferriter and I approve this message.

I've done it, it's easy. $50 for the screen replacement and about 30 minutes of labor.

I also did a write up of the screen replacement procedure, complete with a few pictures and posted it here.

This is a procedure to replace just the digitizer, not the LCD behind it, which makes the part cost much less than $10 shipped. I bought a couple of spares and keep them on hand so I won't need to wait when (not if) one goes again.

The guy I have been buying the digitizers from is mingxing200808 on eBay. He is in Hong Kong so it does take a couple of weeks for the screen to arrive, but he is a very reliable seller and good to deal with (I have bought 4 screens from him so far).

Here's a link to a current eBay auction.