Zumo 550 Extended Warranty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
As I've said in an earlier thread, I've never owned a GPS before. Therefore I have no experience with their reliability, especially on a bike.

I can get a 3-year 100% parts and labor warranty on my new Zumo 550 for $87. Is it worth it?

As I've said in an earlier thread, I've never owned a GPS before. Therefore I have no experience with their reliability, especially on a bike.
I can get a 3-year 100% parts and labor warranty on my new Zumo 550 for $87. Is it worth it?
Who is this warranty from? I can't speak to the Zumo specifically, but I've had my Quest for 3.5 years and it's never failed me.

at $87 that's more than 10% of the cost of the unit right? Would you have spend $1300 on YES? Is this an actual Garmin warranty or is it a 3rd party like Circuit City or Best Buy's extended warranty?

Since the Zumo has no moving parts (no hard drive), I would think it would be just fine. Garmin is pretty solid stuff, even the eTrex I had went through hell on a dirt bike until that fateful crash, but the warranty probably wouldn't have covered that.

Personally I'd pass...

I never purchase extended warranty on ANYTHING. I buy good stuff and hope for the best. If something fails I figured I've saved $$$$ on not buying rip off warranties that I fix it or replace it. I am tempted though buy D&H cycle YES warranty for ~$350 but have 10 months to think about it and likely won't use it even though I've already had my new '07 FJR in for clutch issue (pick it up today after 17 days in shop!!!!).

I also have a Zumo 550 and wouldn't waste my $$.

So long answer=no

Steve

Jeff,

It you purchased your new GPS on credit card, your credit card may add up to a year of extra warranty. My AMEX card does!

Best Regards,

Shane

I belive Garmin only warranties their GPS for 1 year and does not offer longer warranties, but many places sell a 3rd party warranty that has a lot of very fine print-which basically seems to say "Thanks for your money!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Zumo and I wouldn't waste the money on an extended warranty. Most electronic devices will fail out of the box if they are going to fail. Also, the companies that manage the extended warranties for the OEMS are not interested in keeping your device running. If something does go wrong with it they will try to put the blame on you and not cover the failure of the device.

It you purchased your new GPS on credit card, your credit card may add up to a year of extra warranty. My AMEX card does!
VISA Signature will double your warranty. However, there is some paperwork you have to send in.