Zumo 550 pin outs?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldryder

Reaction score
I have a zumo 550 that suddenly won't work in either the car or bike cradle. It's not the Zumo battery and the unit still powers up fine from the USB cable.

Since it's unlikely both cradles suddenly went bad I'm suspecting the Zumo unit.

I'd like to apply 12v directly to the correct pair of contacts on the bottom of the 550 but have been unable to find a diagram that identifies the pin outs.

Looking for a link to such a drawing or schematic.

thx in advance for help.

Mark in MN

In the past I have revived a couple of cradles... odd however that both the car and bike cradles would crap out at the same time...... remove fuse, work some contact cleaner into the pins, move the pins up and down with a wood or plastic popsicle stick (or similar). Do this a couple of times. If bad, it may not revive it right away, might have to sit a while. This should be done a couple of times a year as preventative maintenance or when you see a hint of green corrosion..

Check the fuse and the power and ground wires to your power source. Looking at the cradle, +Power pin is the third from the left, back row. I forget where the ground is, on the far right..... you can find it with an ohmmeter continuity check (but stay away from the power pin).

If the unit is charged by the USB cable (shows charged on the menu screen), and won't boot up, it's not the cradle. Check to see the battery is charged.

Clean the contacts on the bottom of the Zumo with a pencil eraser, then some contact cleaner. Try it in your cradle. Working yet?

Next. remove the battery and similarly clean the contacts, and clean the mating contacts (carefully). Reinstall and test.

If all checks out good, and still not working, then we'll have to move on to hard or soft reset.......

Last edited by a moderator:
being of simple mind, i thought i could go out and run a meter across the pins of a known good cradle and tell you which one was power and which was ground. not that simple. the one that has batt voltage is easy enough-looking down on the cradle from the front it's the third from the left, bottom row. simple enough to check your cradles for power. ground is a different matter. a bunch of pins read batt voltage, a bunch read 1/2 batt voltage a bunch read no volts and the rest read somewhere in between (with meter positive probe on batt+ and meter negative probe checking each cradle pin) (fluke dvom).

i CERTAINLY would NOT put 12v directly to the bottom of the Zumo until someone from Garmin told me which contact(s) to ground.

if you charge it from the usb does it shut down as soon as you unplug it from the usb? there is a small second battery in the zumo, soldered to a circuit board, that can cause some weird stuff to happen if it dies iirc. charge it by usb overnight?

Mark, I have had two 550's, my current one lost all voice commands, on motorcycle cradle and car. I sent it to an outstanding company www.palmdr.com, they immediately reformatted firmware, replaced battery and rubber button for $78.00. They have oustanding customer service and turn around time. Hopefully they can give you advice or help repair if necessary. Art