Zumo 550 Specific Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I have spent the last few days, since returning from CFO, researching the Zumo 550, and I think it is the unit I want to get. However, I do have a few specific questions I was hoping current 550 owners could answer for me.

1. How big of an SD memory card will the Zumo 550 support. I like to have A LOT of music with me while on the road, and I would like to make sure I can put at least a 2 gig card in the unit for music.

2. Does the speaker phone on the car base really work as well as I have read it does. I will be using this unit for work as well, and being able to sync it with either of my blue-tooth phones and them have a hands free phone would be great.

3. Lastly, as another member tried to ask, if I will be using risers with a techmount, do I have to use the longer arm?

Thanks.

Good choice on the Zumo. I saw that you were looking for an "inexpensive" GPS and even though the 550 isn't exactly inexpensive, it is worth it's weight in gold. I guarantee you'll love it. I highly recommend Buydig.com for good service and the best price. To answer your questions....

1. You can use up to a 4GB memory card. That's what I put in mine.

2. I only used the car base a couple of times, but the speaker phone option seemed to work very well.

3. I have big honkin' handlebar risers and I still have plenty of room with the short Techmount stem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the very direct answers Larry. I was trying to go inexpensive, but the more I thought about it, the more I am thinking to just go top end and not look back. While we are at it, how do you like the MP3 player? I listen to music almost all of the time while on the bike, so I want to make sure it is easy to put music on the unit, and easy to use. From the pictures I have seen of the MP3 screen on the unit, it looks nice.

Thanks again.

1) It accepts SDHC, so, 8GB. If you want a speedier card, stick with regular SD up to 4GB.

2) Use it alot, works fine as a speakerphone.

The MP3 player is not nearly as high fidelity as something like an ipod. If you're anal about sound quality, you'll be upset. If you want a stereo MP3 player in your GPS, then it's perfect. The only cheesy thing is there's no fast way to get to the music player from the map screen. You have to either go to main, then touch the note, or hit the nav button 3 times.

And it doesn't scroll a new song's info when it starts playing. How hard was that to code, seriously?

It's not perfect, but it's the best thing going right now. Upgrade path would be a unit that does what the Zumo does, AND has weather radar overlay. Already has traffic, that works as well as traffic monitors can (none are perfect). The route re-calc is pretty good.

The MP3 player is good. It's VERY easy to load music, either directly via the USB cable, or through the SD memory card. Also easy to access and play music. It does lack any kind of bass or treble adjustment, however, I find the music quality to be pretty good any way. Don't know how you plan o listen to music, but if it's through a Starcom unit, be careful. There is a cable designed specifically for the Zumo-Starcom connection, however, it's not a stereo cable. There is an alternate way of connecting it that does allow you to listen to MP3's in stereo. Let me know if you need more info on that.

I have found this Zumo forum to be VERY helpful in learning the ins and outs of the Zumo. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out.

I agree with all comments above.

One note on the MP3 player: If you want to listen in stereo, you'll need to be wired to the unit -- earbuds or helmet speakers. Music through Bluetooth is mono only.

I've had some problems with the speaker phone, but I'm 90% sure it was a signal strength issue and nothing to do with the zumo.

I'm having annoying problems with phone-zumo-headset pairing. Either the phone or the headset keeps disconnecting -- one or the other, rather randomly. Had the same problem with two phones now (RAZR V3c and LG vx8700). I think I need to delete the headset from devices on the phone. I think what's happening is the phone and the headset try to pair with each other after I've paired them with zumo, and the whole thing just gets confused and then goes and hides in the bedroom (technical description, of course).

My first zumo stopped working the first time I hit a big bump. 15 to 20 minutes or so on the phone with Garmin customer service, trying different reset procedures, and they finally decided it was dead and quickly shipped me another. They sent the wrong unlock code with the new unit, so that took a little more time to sort out.

Despite these glitches and hiccups, I really like the unit. It's amazingly fast. It's very intuitive to use -- my wife never bothered to read the manual but has no problem using it in the cage. Besides music, it handles audio books from audible.com which really made the slab miles go easy on a couple of longer trips I took this year.

There's a good forum at https://www.zumoforums.com

(Edit: Oops. Lar already mentioned the forum. I just sent you to the same one.)

Again, thank you all. I will be using my Ei6 ear buds, so no worries on getting stereo music from the unit. I will start to look through the Zumo forum for some more information. Funny that I didn't find that forum when I tried a Google search.

The seemingly random Bluetooth disconnection can be caused by your phone's voice message beep, loss of service/signal beep etc.

My Motorola-Q phone beeps when those things occur. Since that "beep" is not normally sent to a headset, I believe Motorola substitutes a line interruption instead, which would produce a "click" to the headset. When Bluetooth to the Zumo 550, the line interruption causes loss of Bluetooth connection.

The Zumo is not perfect, but IMHO it's as close as you can get today. It's certainly better enough than the other units to justify the extra cost IMHO.

I also agree with the above. I only have a 1gig card with MP3's, but I have the XM radio , and , the traffic and weather with it.

With the ERi earbuds, both music sources sound GREAT, and I am a closet audiogeek. (I actualy have a degree in audio engineering)

The speaker phone works great in the car, but a bit hard to hear on the highway if you have the top down.(obviously)

The bluetooth-phone thing has work fabulously for me, most folks are completely surprised to hear that they are talking to me while I am on the bike going "a bit" over the speed limit on the interstate.

The unit has been invaluable on many trips, car or bike and I highly reccomend it.

KM

Since this thread was brought up, I figured I'd ask just to verify.

The Zumo only uses batteries, as opposed to the Street Pilot 2820, which can be hooked up to the bike for power, correct?

(sorry for hijacking TriggerT)

The Zumo only uses batteries, as opposed to the Street Pilot 2820, which can be hooked up to the bike for power, correct?

That is not my understanding. I am almost positive that the Zumo can be wired to the bike for a constant power source. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

The Zumo has both internal batteries and a connection to on-bike power. When it's docked, you get power from the bike's electrical system; the batteries allow you to use the unit while it's off the bike.

Not that you'll have a choice, but I'd opt for a non RoHS version.

From what I've seen so far, I'm not impressed with lead free solder joints vibration durability.

Not that you'll have a choice, but I'd opt for a non RoHS version.
From what I've seen so far, I'm not impressed with lead free solder joints vibration durability.
?? whuuut?
RoHS units generally are assembled with lead free solder and IMHO it seems more prone to vibration induced cracking compared to 63/37% tin/lead solder.The RoHS units more than likely must be shipped to Europe, but if the stateside units are soldered with tin lead then it's not an issue.

Here's something else to consider about electronic items that are assembled with lead free solder.

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071005/ap_on_hi_te/tin_whiskers

211mjyo.jpg

Score, I guess I just read Garmin's site wrong.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...pareProduct=382

7th item down.

No you read it right , but misunderstood what they are saying. The Zumo has a battery, so the unit will work off either of the cradles ,(car and bike) as a handheld.

The Strreet Pilot has no battery, and only works from external power...so you can't use it off the bike.

The battery on the Zumo charges when on the cradle when it is on or off..(provided it has power going to it) There bluetooth phone functions only work when it is in either of the cradles however...

KM

Score, I guess I just read Garmin's site wrong.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...pareProduct=382

7th item down.

No you read it right , but misunderstood what they are saying. The Zumo has a battery, so the unit will work off either of the cradles ,(car and bike) as a handheld.

The Strreet Pilot has no battery, and only works from external power...so you can't use it off the bike.

The battery on the Zumo charges when on the cradle when it is on or off..(provided it has power going to it) There bluetooth phone functions only work when it is in either of the cradles however...

KM

Thats not quite right, the bluetooth phone will work wether its in the cradles or not. But you wont hear it unless its either in the car cradle which has a built in speaker or you have the zumo paired with a set of headphones. In which case it dosent have to be in any cradle to use the phone features.