Zumo 550 Specific Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve,

That is interesting since absofmaine currently has them at $679.00. Did they have some kind of special going on when you got yours?

I still haven't gotten around to buying a GPS. Having another child kind of put a few farkles on hold, and the cold weather made me change the priority of the farkles I wanted. Need to extend the riding season as much as possible, so winter gear was #1 on the list. Maybe my next bonus check in Feb.

Steve,
That is interesting since absofmaine currently has them at $679.00. Did they have some kind of special going on when you got yours?

I still haven't gotten around to buying a GPS. Having another child kind of put a few farkles on hold, and the cold weather made me change the priority of the farkles I wanted. Need to extend the riding season as much as possible, so winter gear was #1 on the list. Maybe my next bonus check in Feb.

I guess $679 is likely what I paid. It was 5 or 6 months ago and I just remember it was ~$650, well under the $1000 list found at most retailers.

I know how you feel, I just paid $$ for a Russell seat on the group buy (saved 20%?) and front and rear suspension upgrades. Not excatly in my budget but felt it had to be done.

Thanks again to Tom for doing most of the work and saving me $$$$

Steve

Several more comments.

1. Cracking rubber plug to cover contacts is fixed by a brand new cradle. Mine arrived in 3 days, no cc charge. Great service.

2. MP3 quality is 90% by my ears, er6 buds via Starcomm. BTW, 90% quality factor is waay good in my book given the environment.

3. XM radio rocks. Sound quality is 100%, now I hardly ever use Zumo mp3.

4. Oh, as gps, it mostly works. Some maps in my area are way confused, but since most all gps makers user the same map sources, all therotically will be confused the same.

I don't pretend to be much of a do it yourselfer, but I'd like to take a shot at wiring my Zumo 550 on my 07 fjr.

Anyone care to give some instruction on wiring this puppy??

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't pretend to be much of a do it yourselfer, but I'd like to take a shot at wiring my Zumo 550 on my 07 fjr.
Anyone care to give some instruction on wiring this puppy??

Thanks!
Sure, the red wire with the "+" on it goes to the + or possitive terminal on the battery, and the black wire with the "-" on it goes to the - or negative terminal of the battery. The other end gets screwed down into the plug in the cradle, The included wire is already fused, so no need to buy an inline fuse.

I'm sure if you can wire up your 808 , you can do this....

Plug and play.

KM

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this is too newbie oriented -- but you'll want to solder or crimp some ring terminals like these to the wires for easy battery hook-up.

And this esteemed forum even offers soldering tips in this thread.

Instead of going straight to the battery, you can install a lighter socket in the fairing somewhere and solder the plug to the zumo wires. That's definitely handier if you take it on and off the bike a lot. I soldered a plug on the zumo that fits my battery tender socket since that was unused when I was riding anyway. You can see where I put the battery tender and lighter sockets on my 03 in this thread.

Just a quick addition to the question about the SD card size: It will accept up to 8GB cards (and maybe more?), but will only recognize 1000 Mp3 files, so depending on the compression level you are using for your music, you may have a lot of unusable space on your memory card (for Mp3's at least, you can save routes, maps, etc in the extra space instead). This may be something that is cured later with a firmware update, but is a problem right now.

Just a quick addition to the question about the SD card size: It will accept up to 8GB cards (and maybe more?), but will only recognize 1000 Mp3 files, so depending on the compression level you are using for your music, you may have a lot of unusable space on your memory card (for Mp3's at least, you can save routes, maps, etc in the extra space instead). This may be something that is cured later with a firmware update, but is a problem right now.
Good info, thanks. Now that I have a Zumo 50, I only have a 2 Gig card in it, but it might be worth the money to upgrade to a 4 or 8 gig to have the extra space, just in case.

Sure, the red wire with the "+" on it goes to the + or possitive terminal on the battery, and the black wire with the "-" on it goes to the - or negative terminal of the battery. The other end gets screwed down into the plug in the cradle, The included wire is already fused, so no need to buy an inline fuse.I'm sure if you can wire up your 808 , you can do this....

Plug and play.

KM
Well yeah, this I can do. Maybe I should have been more specific and said I was thinking about wiring into a switched circuit, say tail light?

Has any mounted their Zumo on an N/Line shelf?

If yes, do you have any pics?

It appears that I will need to mount my Zumo dead center where the cut out is in order to clear the windscreen when it's in the down position. The bracket will attach to the shelf but the Zumo will be hanging in mid air. Anyone else had to deal with this problem?

Thanks in advance.