Zumo 550 / XM / 2010 Maps?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
So here's the dealio. I upgraded my maps to 2010NT, (had to remove just about everything optional to get it to fit, including all the MP3's on the unit (10 stock songs) all the voices except (1) US Jill).

Went for a ride, things were good for about 40 minutes then my XM quit. It didn't even recognize the puck.

Tried my backup puck, tried the car mount, nada.

So tonight I erased the dang thing and installed the backup image I made (entire Garmin drive) before the update and life is good again.

The 2010 maps are bigger, I suspect once the drive fills up (via the tracking log) that the XM quits working. So does anyone have this combo working?

The folks at Garmin are stumped and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $150 to get my 2010 maps installed.

-MD

Last edited by a moderator:
SD card? A friend recently had a long ordeal with his 550 getting maps downloaded. He thought the download went well, since it worked fine here in FL. He traveled to GA and it didn't work. He spent alot of time on the phone with Garmin finding the problem. Seems it loaded only states that touch oceans????, since there wasn't enough memory for all the states!!!!!!! He picked up a SD card and claims he got it downloaded, with Garmins help. I thought about upgrading my 550 before my trip to Alaska, but didn't because the trouble he had. My 550 died in the Yukon anyway and probably won't have it fixed. Going to buy a cheap GPS and throw it in my tank bag.

I just updated my map on Friday. I went for a ride Saturday for about 5 hours or so and didnt have any problems at all. I will have to mess around with it and see. I do have XM as well and everything functiond properly....

SD card? A friend recently had a long ordeal with his 550 getting maps downloaded. He thought the download went well, since it worked fine here in FL. He traveled to GA and it didn't work. He spent alot of time on the phone with Garmin finding the problem. Seems it loaded only states that touch oceans????, since there wasn't enough memory for all the states!!!!!!! He picked up a SD card and claims he got it downloaded, with Garmins help. I thought about upgrading my 550 before my trip to Alaska, but didn't because the trouble he had. My 550 died in the Yukon anyway and probably won't have it fixed. Going to buy a cheap GPS and throw it in my tank bag.
I could put the maps on the SD card as supplemental[TM] maps that will override the onboard maps. But I don't want to do that. I need the SD for backup music, not ever going out on a multi-day trip w/o a back up plan to the XM (which is tunes on the SD card).

I may try to load them on again tonight since I have a known good working config saved off.

FWIW, it appears that the 2010NT maps may be the end of the road for the Zumo in terms of fitting all the maps on the main unit (not on an SD card).

I really don't want to back to the realm of picking and choosing maps, or selections of maps (one of the reasons I stopped using the Quest I).

How much space does the map take up and how much internall memeory does the unit have?

Sorry to ask but still at work....

How much space does the map take up and how much internall memeory does the unit have?
Internal has or is a 1.20gb flash.

I originally had EVERYTHING including Antarctic, norther CA, and Mexico, and it was full. I just re-upgraded my 2009 image but left off Santa land, the upper most part of CA, HA, and a couple island that I'm likely not to ride too. :glare:

I have 44.6mb free and about to go see if my XM still works.

I'm interested to hear what you find too. I too use the SD card (mine is 8GB) for storing backup music and Zumo manual.

Well that was epic FAIL... If I don't download everything, or at least a selection of maps I get an 'could not unlock maps error'. So maybe my unlock code is jacked up or something.

For me the disadvantage of having the maps on the SD Card is simply, it takes up space (and is slower to load).

My Zumo 550 won't read cards bigger than 2gb, unless they recently changed that with a firmware update and I'm not aware.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking to buy the lifetime update using my AMA discount. My unit is the GPSMAP 478 and the Garmin rep warned me that eventually the maps may become too big for my unit. I asked him how big the memory is in the 478 (note that add in cards are not an option for this unit) and how much space the ocean data takes up in case I decide to delete it to make room for the road data. He checked with engineering and they do not know how big the memory is in the 478 nor do they know how much space the ocean data takes up. He just said that if the unit gets full, only install part of the US. I also asked him about backing up the ocean data for the future in case I decide to delete it and he said that, since the memory cannot be seen by my computer, I could not back it up. Therefore, I was very interested in this thread where it says 2010 is much bigger so I might have problems with my first update.