Zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EasyRider

Reaction score
In have seen the Zumo 550 posts on this forum but I did not see if one can tell if your getting the latest version of the 550.

So dose any one know how one can tell if they are buying the latest version of the Zumo 550 when ordering from one of the many discount GPS suppliers?

I read on this forum that there have been several versions of the motorcycle mount and several software upgrades since they first introduced the Zumo.

I am assuming any of the 550s can be updated to the latest software from the Garmin web site. And I think they all have XM radio built in if you buy the antenna for XM use.

Oh, if you got one, do you like it? Dose the XM music work well? I have an Autocom Super Pro Avi system on the bike now and I will get the cables from Autocom to hook up the Zumo.

I found at Zumo 550 for 632.95 and a GXM 30 antenna for 182.95 at Erwincomp.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had mine almost a year now, and I LOVE it! I have the XM subscription as well. The firmware is updated automatically, and Garmin Tech Support has been phenomenal. My motorcycle cradle started causing the music to cut off about two to three weeks ago. My warranty replacement should be here in a few days.

There are some issues with the Zumo connecting to an Autocom, so check out the Zumo forums or call Jeff at bikeeffects.com for details.

pcnation.com and buydig.com were the most competitive prices I saw when buying it. Be careful though where you do buy, if it is not an authorized retailer, Garmin may not honor the warranty. Both pcnation.com and buydig.com are authorized dealers.

I like my Zumo and have had no trouble connecting to an Active 7 Smart AutoCom.

It's (the AutoCom) an older model that I purchased from a member on this Forum but it works well.

I have the isolated cable(1314) for the Zumo (stereo) and the Stereo adapter cable (1187) that allows either the AutoCom headset or earbuds.

Both are 3.5mm

I receive Zumo Nav instructions and use the MP3 (which is in stereo) player.

You should have no problems with the XM music hookup either.

Yea, what Ponyfool & Capt. Bob said.

I ride with some HD guys & they were giving me grief until we pull into a small town to stay over night. There was rodeo in town, everything was full. Used the Zumo to find the closest hotel & got us all setup. "How did you do that? With the GPS." After that I turned into the information officer. How many miles, better road, next gas station, weather, etc.

OK, I'm odd man out, but I probably have a lot more experience with consumer GPS than the others here - my best friend and riding buddy is the largest distributor for Garmin in Canada - he sells $50 million a year of them and I get the pleasure of trying whatever I like.

I presently have a Zumo 550 on the FJR and a Nuvi 780 in the car. I also have a Colorado 300.

But I really have to say that while the Zumo is cute - and it is probably great as a non-technical navigator, I am unimpressed with the display and lack of configurability that Garmin has imparted to the current crop of vehicluar navigators.

My absolute favorite current navigator is still the 276c (and the bigger cousins). It has THE BEST display, THE BEST battery life, a large enough tracklog.

But most of all it is extremely configurable. If I want XM and weather I can go up to the 376 or 476/478 - I can also use it on my boat (if I ever get one).

OK, I'm odd man out, but I probably have a lot more experience with consumer GPS than the others here -...
I agree a little. I've had dozen's of GPS's -- all Garmin.

If you're a gadget freek, or really want technical GPS, go for the 276/378/478. The user interface stinks, but the capabilities are great. To input an address you have to select a cursor, then paddle up and down the alphabet to select what you're trying to spell. They take a while to learn and get used to, but are fantastic and have numerous capabilities (e.g., the 378/478 can also overlay NEXRAD radar on the map with subscription)

If you just want a simple navigation device, go with the zumo. It doesn't have near the capability that the 276&up have, but the touch screen interface, and simple finding of destinations may outweigh the technical capabilities of the 276&up.

This weekend my Zumo 550...

* Saved $35 by allowing me to stop at night, search for area hotels, and use bluetooth to call for rates/availability without ever leaving the helmet.

* Found the nearest gas station and shortest route to it, to allow me to fill the FJR with 6.184 gallons of gasoline just before dark in the mountains. In other words, I did not have to hitchhike in Banjo Land. Priceless!

* Did nothing stupid and worked basically well in some very adverse weather conditions.

I'll keep it for a while.

P.S. Garmin has a one year warranty, and so far, they really mean it! They fix whatever the crap goes wrong for one year.

EastKY003.jpg

I'm happy with my 550. It's been used and abused, vibrated to death, well almost death, and it just keeps working.

MapSource, on the other hand.. takes some time to learn.

P.S. Garmin has a one year warranty, and so far, they really mean it! They fix whatever the crap goes wrong for one year.
By the way, for those of you who don't know...

VISA will double your manufacturer's warranty (up to three years) if you purchase with your Signature VISA. You must have the Signature VISA which is not automatic even if you're a platinum cardholder. It costs nothing extra for the extended warranty. You do have to send in copies of your receipt and warranty information. They then keep it on file if you ever have a claim. No deductible.

So far, my Toshiba Regza LCD tv and Garmin Zumo warranties doubled.

As far as the Zumo, I do like it. I have to say, though, that it went out on the ride to Laguna GP last year. May have had to do with the lightning and pouring rain we rode through. But over the weekend, it started doing wierd things and gave me strange messages about a usb cable. Then it finally just completely locked up. This was before I dropped it (I swear!). Sent it back to Garmin and they replaced the whole thing no question. They also gave me the map update for '08 for free. Bueno!

I really don't have that much issue with City Navigator. A little unwieldy, but nothing I haven't been able to manage.

Have really enjoyed my Zumo and also have the XM puck.

Have had to "FIRE" the sexy lady that gives directions a couple of times. She has even tried to send me the wrong way on a one way street in Duluth.. but all and all it has been easy to use.

Also moves easily between the FJR and the truck.

Thanks for all the help guys. All the input was helpful in making a decision . I like the GPS 376C line. The weather feature would be really cool, and I want to go for it, I just don't like the high monthly fee.

And I do realy wont the Traffic feature on the Zumo 550, but cant get it with the GPSMAP line. So it looks like it will be the Zumo 550 for me.

Zumo 550 here, bought through BuyDig. Great situation all around, although it rides in my FJ Cruiser more lately, with my seatless FJR idled... :unsure:

For anyone considering a Zumo... Amazon has new ones for $430, and the GXM 30 hockey puck antennas for $185... free shipping. That's less than I paid for my 2610 a few years ago... including the antenna. And it comes with the motorcycle wiring/mount, which I had to buy seperately for the 2610...

For anyone considering a Zumo... Amazon has new ones for $430, and the GXM 30 hockey puck antennas for $185... free shipping. That's less than I paid for my 2610 a few years ago... including the antenna. And it comes with the motorcycle wiring/mount, which I had to buy seperately for the 2610...

Take a look at that again, you save $430 but the unit is $669.

Latest posts