Zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did it. I took the plunge and ordered the Zumo 550 from PC Nation for 643.80 and the GXM 30 for 198.00

It looks like the I already have the cables I need for the Zumo to work with my Autocom. I talked to the Autocom guy this morning. He told me the audio cable I have set up for my Ipod will plug into the Zumo for XM audio. After I pair my cell phone with the Zumo, the Autocom bluetooth transceiver I already have for my cell phone with be used to receive phone and GPS audio from the Zumo into the Autocom.

I should have it all up and running on Saturday. :exhappysmiley:

Thanks for the help guys.

OK, I'm odd man out, but I probably have a lot more experience with consumer GPS than the others here - my best friend and riding buddy is the largest distributor for Garmin in Canada - he sells $50 million a year of them and I get the pleasure of trying whatever I like.
I presently have a Zumo 550 on the FJR and a Nuvi 780 in the car. I also have a Colorado 300.

But I really have to say that while the Zumo is cute - and it is probably great as a non-technical navigator, I am unimpressed with the display and lack of configurability that Garmin has imparted to the current crop of vehicluar navigators.

My absolute favorite current navigator is still the 276c (and the bigger cousins). It has THE BEST display, THE BEST battery life, a large enough tracklog.

But most of all it is extremely configurable. If I want XM and weather I can go up to the 376 or 476/478 - I can also use it on my boat (if I ever get one).
I chose the 376c for the same reasons you mentioned. NEXRAD weather and 48 hr forecasts are hard to live without after you have used them a while. The XM works well, and keeps the dash clutter down compared to using a separate unit. I use this one every day in the truck and on the bike when I get home.

My biggest complaint is that cheesey plug Garmin designed for the back of the unit. Mine has only been unplugged/plugged about a dozen times and is already broken. Probably would be better if it were a straight plug instead of a 90 deg design (wouldn't be forced to bend where it hits the dash). Only other complaint I can think of is the proprietary memory sticks are not available in a 2 gig size. It takes 3 of the 512 MB (largest available) to fit most of the continental US. Most people would get along fine with one 512 stick, but when you drive 48 states for a living it would be nice not having to reprogram the card every other day.

If you would rather have NEXRAD than the MP3 player, these units are the way to go.

David

In have seen the Zumo 550 posts on this forum but I did not see if one can tell if your getting the latest version of the 550.
So dose any one know how one can tell if they are buying the latest version of the Zumo 550 when ordering from one of the many discount GPS suppliers?

I read on this forum that there have been several versions of the motorcycle mount and several software upgrades since they first introduced the Zumo.

I am assuming any of the 550s can be updated to the latest software from the Garmin web site. And I think they all have XM radio built in if you buy the antenna for XM use.

Oh, if you got one, do you like it? Dose the XM music work well? I have an Autocom Super Pro Avi system on the bike now and I will get the cables from Autocom to hook up the Zumo.

I found at Zumo 550 for 632.95 and a GXM 30 antenna for 182.95 at Erwincomp.com

I have been useing my New Zumo for three weeks I have it paired with A J&M CB and love it.

I chose the 376c for the same reasons you mentioned. NEXRAD weather and 48 hr forecasts are hard to live without after you have used them a while. The XM works well, and keeps the dash clutter down compared to using a separate unit. I use this one every day in the truck and on the bike when I get home.
My biggest complaint is that cheesey plug Garmin designed for the back of the unit. Mine has only been unplugged/plugged about a dozen times and is already broken. Probably would be better if it were a straight plug instead of a 90 deg design (wouldn't be forced to bend where it hits the dash). Only other complaint I can think of is the proprietary memory sticks are not available in a 2 gig size. It takes 3 of the 512 MB (largest available) to fit most of the continental US. Most people would get along fine with one 512 stick, but when you drive 48 states for a living it would be nice not having to reprogram the card every other day.

If you would rather have NEXRAD than the MP3 player, these units are the way to go.

David
Sounds like you'd be best off trading up to a 478 - you get the XM and weather and full on board mapping.

I agree about the power connector, but that thing has 9 pins in a very small space and it is waterproof on top of all that - I went through a couple before I resolved it by not only being careful but as well by lubricating the socket and plug with vaseline.

Latest posts