Zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechJunkie

Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion on the best place to purchase a Zumo 550? I found a site on the net that is selling them for 479.00 plus 14.00 shipping. You just worry a little when someone is selling something like this significantly less than everyone else.

All suggestions welcome.

Anyone have an opinion on the best place to purchase a Zumo 550? I found a site on the net that is selling them for 479.00 plus 14.00 shipping. You just worry a little when someone is selling something like this significantly less than everyone else.
All suggestions welcome.
That's a great price, and since the 550 is getting a bit long in the tooth, maybe its legit. I bought mine through Amazon.com last summer, and it was priced at something like $679 with free shipping. They shipped quickly, and it included the full warranty.

If I remember right, Garmin was not providing warranty support for 550's bought through auctions, but your case doesn't appear to be an auction or "buy it now" type of ebay deal.

The other thing about the 550 is that, like the FJR ignition issue, they can go belly up and die without warning. A larger number of people have experienced this and reported the problem on the Zumo forum, including me.

When the problem first started to surface, it appeared that Garmin would pay overnight shipping both ways and do the turnaround in one business day. As the problem grew in scale, this generousity waned.

They replaced mine and paid return shipping, but it was via ground shipping, rather than overnight or 2nd day.

Before you commit to buy one, make sure Garmin is going to support a purchase through that vendor, and then also make sure they've actually got it in stock. If both questions have the right answers, it sounds like an excellent deal.

I would buy mine again, in spite of the failure.

I would also check out the vendor at resellerratingsdotcom to make sure you are not getting ripped off. (Not required for Bikeeffects, who have a first class reputation).

All suggestions welcome.
Check out the web for reviews or problems with the company. There are several companies that are bogus. They advertise significantly lower price but they may or may not actually ship a valid product. If the price seems to good to be true there may be a reason.

All great suggestions. I was going to call Jeff at Bike Effects before I purchased anything.

Anyone else have a suggestion on a reputable dealer that will provide competitive prices I will give them a try.

Thanks again for the replies.

Just want to say that Garmin treated me really well recently.

My Zumo 550 was flaking out when the start way point and destination way point were the same.

They replaced the original unit with a refurbished unit for zero cost, including new cables, power adapters, etc.

..and in the end, it wasn't a Zumo 550 issue at all; rather a generic problem with MapSource.

When all is said and done, I have a 'new' fresh warranted Zumo that has a brighter display and newest map installed.

Thumbs up to Garmin, they ROCK!

Be careful.

I've been searching, reviewing on the net, in this forum, and many of the net Zumo's for under $500 are scams. I found some a couple for around high $400 and they all turned out to be bait and switch scams. Check the sellers out first.

I'm still searching and looking.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Techjunkie,

I have the Zumo 550 and I like the unit. I also like that it has bluetooth in the event you have a communication system it will hook up and give you directions. I have a Macintosh computer and had to buy the CD for Mac with an additional on-line down load in order to make route maps, etc. I don't like that when I set a route and I am part way into the route and then turn on the Zumo that it tries to take me back to the start of the route. I haven't figured a way out of that yet. Other than that, it's a great unit and I would buy it again.

Brain Surgeon

Techjunkie,I have the Zumo 550 and I like the unit. I also like that it has bluetooth in the event you have a communication system it will hook up and give you directions. I have a Macintosh computer and had to buy the CD for Mac with an additional on-line down load in order to make route maps, etc. I don't like that when I set a route and I am part way into the route and then turn on the Zumo that it tries to take me back to the start of the route. I haven't figured a way out of that yet. Other than that, it's a great unit and I would buy it again.

Brain Surgeon
Wow. That sounds like a SERIOUS defect -- or maybe I just don't understand.

I'm a mac user, too. So if I get one of these, I'll have to do without the route finding features? Or what?

If it sounds too good to be true.... well, you know the rest.

For electronics, I always but from a reputable retailer, or web seller.

I just bought mine from Amazon $663 out the door delivered.

Me and several friends of mine bought ours at PC nation around 650 these low ball guys will try and sell you a bunch of extra stuff.

I bought mine at gpsdiscount.com for 679.00 free shipping. It was a new unit with factory warranty, not a refurbished unit. You have to watch some of the cheaper priced venders are for reman units. I was satisfied w/gpsdiscount.

Good Luck Art

GPSdiscount in a good company I have bought several GPS units from them. Pc nation has the Zumo 550 for 648 with free shipping I tried to find a refurb unit and could not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine at newegg.com, but it looks like they are @ $689 today, or $40 more than I paid, about 2 months ago.

All suggestions welcome.
If it sounds to good to be true....

It's a scam. I tried ordering one from one of those :asshat2: s

When I called to 'verify my internet order,' the guy on the other end of the phone tried telling me that the Zumo needs a 'special high speed' 8BG memory card... WTF?! When I didn't bite, he called me a "player" and, suddenly, the Zumo was "backordered" and my order was cancelled.

Anyway....

Amazon has good prices.

Can't go wrong with Jeff at BikeEffects.

I bought mine at BuyDig.com

Stick with the reputable companies.

I recently bought mine from PCNation. Great service and fast shipping. Like others, I tried the super cheap New York dealers. It was all a bait and switch scam. One asked me if I wanted the 2008 version or the 2005 version :dribble: . I asked him what the price difference was. They told me $459 for the 05 and $649 for the 08. I said that I would take the 05 version and would probably be able to update for free from Garmin. Lo and behold, they didn't have any in stock. Save yourself the hassle.