Zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim'sonDFJR

Reaction score
I've got the Zumo now mounted using the Techmount Stem system, works great, although I question if it will loosen up over time. I am pleased with Zumo so far, and plan to put a Bluetooth receiver in my helmet next.

Here is my question: the weather cap on the cradle doesn't stay on when the Zumo unit isn't there. The small magnetized bar in the cap doesn't hold it in place, and if it did touch the pins my guess is it would short out the fuse. Am I missing something? Thanks

Tim

The magnet is only for when it is NOT in use. To act as a cover it is pressure fit.

Also, do a lot of research before going to a BlueTooth helmet set up. I have seen/heard of LOTS of problems with them, plus, the Zumo will not BlueTooth music.

I'll check the weather cover again when I get home, but I do not believe it snaps down under pressure when the main unit is removed.

When using the ZUMO with XM radio (music); that doesn't work with the BlueTooth connection?

Tim

My zumo will play music to my scala rider team. It sounds poor but it does work. Although it would not work with my Moto razor???-but it worked great with my Nokia-go figure. If you have any questions just let me know.

Nor would you want it to. BT is for phone, and phone only. Run the stereo cable for MP3/GPS audio and happy will you be.

Also, BT doesn't do stereo. Dealbreaker for me.

Garmins (2820, zumos, etc) will not bluetooth anything but directional and telephone audio.

All music (XM, mp3) is restricted to the hardwire ports (either the side headphone jack or the audio port in the motorcycle power line).

If both music AND gps are in your future, you're better to look at getting either a simple audio mixer into earbuds or investing in a quality intercomm unit. Neither needs to have Bluetooth, and I recommend against going bluetooth in your helmet as there has yet to be a proven reliable motorcycle solution presented. the germans at Scheuberth have a nice one that they subcontracted to nokia and I believe have re-branded for BMW's helmets, but they're not exporting that setup stateside....pity.

So, use your garmin for music and gps and bluetooth phone link controls all in one, pipe the garmin into an intercomm (or headphone/earbuds w/mic) and drive on. My vote is still to stay away from bluetooth helmet setups. The ones out there now that I've tested at the stealership are crapola (chatterbox's stuff is so hyped and yet so buggy, never saw one unit drop and reconnect so many times).

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIT, if anyone is looking for earbuds, RadioShack has a set of noise-cancelling buds for about $20. I find them very comfortable in the helmet and very good at cutting down b.s. noise.

The weather cap broke off om my 550, and Garmin swapped out the motorcycle mount. I think they may have changed the composition of the cover. Have not put the mount back on the bike yet. There is a 14 page thread on the zumo fourm about the cover rotting off.

Im using a Nolan 102 and motorola razor with no issues. Believe the zumo does bt the MP3, but it is in mono. XM requires hard wire.

Jeff

I was mistaken, with external power and in the motorcycle cradle, the Zumo will bluetooth MP3, but not XM. And Remmos is right, it is transmitted via bluetooth in mono, not stereo.

The magnet is only for when it is NOT in use. To act as a cover it is pressure fit.
Also, do a lot of research before going to a BlueTooth helmet set up. I have seen/heard of LOTS of problems with them, plus, the Zumo will not BlueTooth music.
Got the magnet/not in use part, but the pressure fit does not hold the cap, no way no how.

Got the magnet/not in use part, but the pressure fit does not hold the cap, no way no how.
Weird. Mine appears to use the locator studs on both sides of the connection pins as the pressure point to hold it in place.

Mine started the rubber rot syndrome, called, Zumo sent a new cradle, I sent the old one back.

New cradle is much better in that 1) no rubber rot on cover, 2) no more 'fuzzy' audio from XM due to poor pin connections.

I have the Zumo with XM connected to a Starcom Advance. Music works good, but too much of a hassle to get the phone dialed in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait a while and it will break off like mine did. I just cut it off completely and do without it.

Yep, me too. I guess I just have to leave the terminals exposed to rain/washing etc. So far so good.

What a POS cover!

Steve
Sounds like a great niche market for someone to get into...nylon or even machined replacement weather covers for Zumo cradles...just a thought for the industrious...I'm too damn lazy.