Zumo 660 + Autocom = Perfection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
Let me start by saying the Zumo 550 is a great GPS but I decided to wait and go with the Zumo 660. I wanted the larger screen, the speed of changing screens and having the entire screen be a touch screen. XM was not a driving force for me so I pulled the trigger and it showed up earlier this week. I started thinking to myself this might be a good time to add a communications system and wanted to move forward with the Autocom due to all of the feedback I have had from fellow riders I trust. Yesterday was the first time I had a chance to test it out and the clarity even in the triple digits was nothing short of amazing. I have a Motorola 9600 radio but decided to buy a Kenwood and have it powered under the seat so I am not charging it each day. Com1 is the bluetooth cell phone, Com2 is the GMRS Kenwood and Com3 will be the iPod. I also added a powered antenna for added distance on the Kenwood radio that they say will increase the actual range by 600%? Not sure about that but twice the range would be nice.

I pulled into a gas station while I was on the phone with my wife and when I turned off the bike I lost her in my headset and thought the call was over but all of a sudden I could hear her continuing to talk from the speaker on the rear of the 660! Pretty cool and I am not really sure how she could hear me so clearly but she said I sounded great so it makes me think the microphone on the Autocom must have still been working? I love my FJR but it is like having a new bike. I can't believe I did not do thins sooner. If you are on the fence about having a GPS or communications devices just do it, you won't be sorry. :yahoo:

Interesting. I had heard the 660 wasn;t shipping until next week.
I placed my order about 6 weeks ago directly through Garmin via the AMA discounts link provided on their web page. They told me the 12th and then that was delayed to the week of the 20th. I was over at Fairlaners (Richard's) house and we had a chance to test it side by side with his 550. He spent the fist 20 mins trying to figure out how he was going to swap out his 550 for the 660. The larger screen is so much brighter!

I spent 3 hours doing the updates with the unit pluged into my computer. I would have thought it would have shipped with all of the latest software but it had 2008 software and it allowed me to upgraded to 2010.10 and skip the 2009 software upgrade. I have a lot to learn about this unit and using the GPS as a whole. I would like to make my maps in Google Maps and then add then rather than learning how to use Map Source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information.

I am waiting on mine, which is coming to me through Garmin's largest Canadian distributor (the owner is a riding buddy of mine). As I said, Garmin has pushed back the official release to the 7th of May - he and I are both awaiting our units - but he tells me that there are software issues . . . .

Now you have yours. Very strange.

If you are getting a techmount to mount the 660 it will need to be trimmed and new holes drilled for it work and look nice.

R

Thanks for the information.
I am waiting on mine, which is coming to me through Garmin's largest Canadian distributor (the owner is a riding buddy of mine). As I said, Garmin has pushed back the official release to the 7th of May - he and I are both awaiting our units - but he tells me that there are software issues . . . .

Now you have yours. Very strange.
Canadians always seem get everything last. :ph34r: I have not seen any major software issues but I have seen one screen have some issues and the hour glass would come on and off until I changed screens. These aren't great shots but here they are on the bike while it is resting in the garage a few mins ago.

These aren't great shots but here they are on the bike while it is resting in the garage a few mins ago.
Did you have to do anything to your Techmount to get the 660 to fit on the Techmount platform properly?
It needed to be cut down almost an inch and rounded at the corners for a clean look or it would have stuck out over the top. As far as securing it the back of the Zumo; there was nothing special that needed to be done. The holes all seemed to line up.

Nice pics.

I have a Stem nut ball mount which won't require any modifications whatsoever and costs less than half of the Touratec. I do suggest going that route, but you should invest in some blue Loctite if you do. Then again, I don't have my unit yet so there could be other issues I have yet to encounter.

Two questions/comments

1. Why is the battery meter so low?

2. Why did you put your PTT assembly where you did? I have my Autocom PTT installed as they intended, tie wrapped right to the grip, right at the inner edge. That way I can press the button and operate the toggle without removing my hand from the grip and the thickness (thin-ness?) doesn't get in the way of what I need to do . . . then again, I don't ride an AE, so that could be a factor.

I'd love to know.

Two questions/comments
1. Why is the battery meter so low?

2. Why did you put your PTT assembly where you did? I have my Autocom PTT installed as they intended, tie wrapped right to the grip, right at the inner edge. That way I can press the button and operate the toggle without removing my hand from the grip and the thickness (thin-ness?) doesn't get in the way of what I need to do . . . then again, I don't ride an AE, so that could be a factor.

I'd love to know.
1. The battery is so low becuase it took me 3 hours of downloads to update to the lastest version of the Zumo software. Each time I thought it was done here came another download. Then I would check it again to see if it was up to date and it make me download another large file. All kidding aside, it took me 3 hours of downloading updates once I plugged in the unit. I was also listening and testing out the audio book feature so that is my the battery is so low. When the bike is on it is being powered form the battery I just did not turn the bike on for the shot.

2. I do not use my powered push to talk button very often and I like to have it out of the way. I had the Motocommand I mounted it on the left grip but I found my large hands did not like sharing this space with something I did not use all of the time so I had it mounted up and out of the way. The thing I wanted to know was why was the powered button almost twice as much as the non powered button. He did not have any of the non powered buttons in stock so I bought the powered button. Oh yea, I also don't like it in the way of my sifter on the AE. :rolleyes:

These aren't great shots but here they are on the bike while it is resting in the garage a few mins ago.
Did you have to do anything to your Techmount to get the 660 to fit on the Techmount platform properly?
It really did not need to be cut down but it looked better that way, also it did need to have 2 more holes drilled to make it work.

R

Beg to differ. Nothing against the 660 of course. I like my Zumo 450 and I like my Blackberry 8100. The last thing I need or want is to be hectored by a GPS talking to me and the next to last thing I want is to talk or be talked to on the mobile phone while riding a motorcycle. I despise the cagers texting and yakking on their mobiles while driving so why add to that? I do listen to music and I will use bike to bike or intercom transmissions but cell phone on a bike? What's next? Espresso attachment?

What's the difference between talking on a cell phone or talking on a bike to bike radio??????????

Just one button to push to answer it, and some people make money from their phone.

R

Beg to differ. Nothing against the 660 of course. I like my Zumo 450 and I like my Blackberry 8100. The last thing I need or want is to be hectored by a GPS talking to me and the next to last thing I want is to talk or be talked to on the mobile phone while riding a motorcycle. I despise the cagers texting and yakking on their mobiles while driving so why add to that? I do listen to music and I will use bike to bike or intercom transmissions but cell phone on a bike? What's next? Espresso attachment?
There was a time I thought just like you and then I tried it. It is less distracting than using a push to talk for GMRS because you push one button to answer and one to hang up and you can do this with both eyes on the road. The question is can you talk and ride at the same time. If you can't muti task then you should not try it. You can set the GPS to mute and you do not need to hear it talking to you. It only talks to you if you set a route and not in the standard driving mode. The GPS will not give verbal directions if you are on the phone; not until you hang up. Like Richard said some of us make money on the phone.

Any chance you can provide a picture of the back of the unit? The reason I ask is I would like to see how easy it is to transfer from bike to car. Also, with the included mounts do you feel it would be easy to transfer from the techmount to the car mount provided? I am torn between the 660 and 550 but fear the price on the 550 may soon drop to a much more justifiable range.

It is very easy to transfer to a car mount just as a 550 is, hot so easy to remove from the techmount as it is mounted with 4 bolts and 4 nylock washers. I also heatshrink the exposed threads for a cleaner looking install.

R

Any chance you can provide a picture of the back of the unit? The reason I ask is I would like to see how easy it is to transfer from bike to car. Also, with the included mounts do you feel it would be easy to transfer from the techmount to the car mount provided? I am torn between the 660 and 550 but fear the price on the 550 may soon drop to a much more justifiable range.
The 550 and the 660 were exactly the same money after the discount if you ordered through the AMA. It comes down to what is important to you. Here are some of the photo's I just took for you.

Congratulations Trent! I know you have been waiting for that thing for a while. I bought the 550 and have been happy with it except for how it shuffles mp3s. I think I might go back to the ipod for that. I got a factory refurbished one and only paid $529 for it.

I love being able to make calls when I am traveling. It helps to keep me from getting tired. It really helps when I am out in the middle of nowhere and I am tired of listening to podcasts or music and just need the mental stimulation of talking to someone.