Zumo 660 + Autocom = Perfection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are just a few thoughts. I have a 550 with XM.

It’s very cool when I pull into a new town and the blue tooth GPS is telling me directions in my ear. I don't have to look at the screen while I'm driving in city traffic.

When I was still a working stiff, I was on call 24/7, so I had to be able to answer the phone on the bike.

The day I retired, I cut the mike boom off the helmet. Phone still goes through the 550 when I get calls but I answer them on my time frame.

When I ride by myself, the XM is awesome though I do have to use earphones to listen.

Sure would like that larger screen.

Nice job on the install guys!

So guess what I'm saying is each to his own. To me the GPS with blue tooth is one of best things I did to my bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me just add that when Trent told me he was going to wait for the 660 and not get the 550 I ragged on him big time.....

Having just installed it for him I had it here for a few days and got to play with it a little, I will say that the 660 is way way faster than a 550 it loads maps really quick and the speaker feature is kinda nice.

On the minus side I like the XM feature and the ability to hold 50 routes of the 550 so i think i will wait until the ycome out with a new one that WILL do XM and holds more routes.

Just my 2 cents.

R

Thanks Johnny. To be honest if I knew how long it was going to take for the 660 to come out I would have broke down and got the 550. I am loading music on the micro SD card now but if it is too slow I too might just use the iPod but I want to have both for a while to see which one I like better. Right now, I can't find the damn slot for the microSD card so I better pull out the manual again. :shout:

Let me just add that when Trent told me he was going to wait for the 660 and not get the 550 I ragged on him big time.....
Having just installed it for him I had it here for a few days and got to play with it a little, I will say that the 660 is way way faster than a 550 it loads maps really quick and the speaker feature is kinda nice.

On the minus side I like the XM feature and the ability to hold 50 routes of the 550 so i think i will wait until the ycome out with a new one that WILL do XM and holds more routes.

Just my 2 cents.

R
The 660 will hold 20 routes and as many as you need on your micro SD card.

Ok, so with the grill on the back for a speaker, how is it waterproof? Are the holes not really holes?

Ok, so with the grill on the back for a speaker, how is it waterproof? Are the holes not really holes?
Now that is a great question jekirby! It says yes under waterproof and it has (IPX7)? Link

"rated to the marine IPX7 waterproof standard, which means that the GPS can withstand 30 minutes submerged 1 meter (3 feet) under water. In addition, those below with voice prompts have a way to plug in an earphone or intercom interface, so that you can hear the voice prompts on your motorcycle. Any GPS with a built-in speaker will not be waterproof, or water resistant!"

How can it be waterproof like they say if it has a speaker in the rear? Interesting....

Beg to differ. Nothing against the 660 of course. I like my Zumo 450 and I like my Blackberry 8100. The last thing I need or want is to be hectored by a GPS talking to me and the next to last thing I want is to talk or be talked to on the mobile phone while riding a motorcycle. I despise the cagers texting and yakking on their mobiles while driving so why add to that? I do listen to music and I will use bike to bike or intercom transmissions but cell phone on a bike? What's next? Espresso attachment?
There was a time I thought just like you and then I tried it. It is less distracting than using a push to talk for GMRS because you push one button to answer and one to hang up and you can do this with both eyes on the road. The question is can you talk and ride at the same time. If you can't muti task then you should not try it. You can set the GPS to mute and you do not need to hear it talking to you. It only talks to you if you set a route and not in the standard driving mode. The GPS will not give verbal directions if you are on the phone; not until you hang up. Like Richard said some of us make money on the phone.
I am not an advanced life form, it appears. With my GMRS I use a PTT button mounted on the bars where my left hand rests so it is one click to key the mike and transmit. Let go to listen. There is no dialing no receiving. Intercom is vox operated so PTT is not necessary. Perhaps you are more dexterous than I am, I don't know. There is a limit to how many technological inputs I can stand while riding I suppose. Good for you and good luck with your set up. Mine works just fine.

The reason the uniit can be waterproof is that the speaker has a sealed, plastic cone. It serves as a gasket.

And, I am surprised that the unit doesn't seem to lock into the mount.

Congratulations Trent! I know you have been waiting for that thing for a while. I bought the 550 and have been happy with it except for how it shuffles mp3s. I think I might go back to the ipod for that. I got a factory refurbished one and only paid $529 for it.
I love being able to make calls when I am traveling. It helps to keep me from getting tired. It really helps when I am out in the middle of nowhere and I am tired of listening to podcasts or music and just need the mental stimulation of talking to someone.
john,just talk to the guy jogging next to you......................lol.just kidding buddy,richards laughing his ass off on that one.

Alright here is our 10-day trip in .gdb format for each day of the ride with 79 waypoints. The learning curve for this thing is steep but I am sure it will pay off in the long run. After you load the file into MapSource you can go to View and select open in Google Earth and do a fly by to see the roads you will be taking. Are there any Garmin pro's that can tel me if this looks correct? I was hoping there was a way to load the address, phone number and confirmation numbers once you arrive at your hotel. It would be cool to have that info pop up as you are arriving.

Wide Hogs III 2009 Ride

Thanks for the photos, Very much appreciated. As these are now release does anyone have a recommended site for the best price? Very nice looking unit.

Dave K

Thanks for the photos, Very much appreciated. As these are now release does anyone have a recommended site for the best price? Very nice looking unit.
Dave K
If you are an AMA member you can get 20% off right from Garmin.

Looks good!! I do like the bigger screen. Doesn't it do MP3's?

Just wondering why you still need/want the iPod.

I'll stick with my 550 for now, but it sure is nice to have multiple options...

People who have ridden my bike and used my helmet, have commented about it being "a cockpit", with music, GPS instructions, cell phone, Bike2Bike and radar detector sounds. I totally agree and I like it that way. I want my eyes up and forward.

Looks like I'm going to find out how the 660 does with a Starcom when it arrives to replace my current 550/Starcom setup.

Question ?: Does the 660 accept the same audio cables as the 550? I assume yes.

Question ?: Is the power cable for the 660 base the same as the 550, or must that be changed?

The difference between the 2 Jeff is that the 660 has 1 cluster of wires that leaves the mount (much cleaner looking) and is long enough to go all the way to the front of the tank (by seat) there are 5 wires.

1 3.5 mm female

2 2.5 mm female

3/4 power/ground

5 is something to do with a traffic receiver (not sure what that is) but it looks like the same end as my XM antennae.

R

Looks good!! I do like the bigger screen. Doesn't it do MP3's? Just wondering why you still need/want the iPod.

I'll stick with my 550 for now, but it sure is nice to have multiple options...
Putting together play lists on MicroSD cards sucks when all of your hard work was already done on the iPod. Having said that I now have a 4GB and 8GB playlist I worked on over the weekend so now there is no need for the ipod but I was not sure I wanted to commit the time.

crap..more decisions... I had a trusty 2610 that just gave up on me during SFO. I was thinking I would get a refurbed 2610, since I have all of the cables and a mount set up.

Then I thought, hrm, the 550 would be nice....

now there's a 660.... :huh:

The difference between the 2 Jeff is that the 660 has 1 cluster of wires that leaves the mount (much cleaner looking) and is long enough to go all the way to the front of the tank (by seat) there are 5 wires.
1 3.5 mm female

2 2.5 mm female

3/4 power/ground

5 is something to do with a traffic receiver (not sure what that is) but it looks like the same end as my XM antennae.

R
Can the 660 be setup to transmit only the phone conversation over bluetooth and leave the nav instructions and MP3 over the 3.5mm audio? The 550 had this ability and it makes for a breeze to hook up to an older (Pro7 Sport) Autocomm - just plug the 3.5mm into the audio in port of the Autocomm and get the Autocomm bluetooth dongle to plug into the 2.5mm phone port of the Autocomm.