Zumo maps question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrunDog

Reaction score
Yo peeps, got me a zumo and have been a little hung up on the mapping thing.

The zumo comes pre-loaded with the City Navigator North America NT 2008 map. I was able to update to the 2009 map for free (yay). Now I have both maps on the PC and the 2009 on the zumo.

So I have some questions:

1. Why do they provide the MapSource software? Is it only to manage routes, waypoints, etc?

2. Since the whole map is loaded (or preloaded) on the GPS, then I do NOT need to download maps (e.g. Southeast, etc) to it, correct?

3. If I know that I am not going to travel to the western half of the US, would it make sense to upload only the map sections that I think I will need in the eastern half, thereby freeing memory and increasing speed (theoretically)? If so, how to I remove the whole map from the zumo and only load the sections I want?

Thanks in advance!

-BD

The Mapsource program is used to make your own routes that you can then download to your Zumo. You can plot a route on the Zumo but because of the small screen size, it takes a while.

The whole map is on the Zumo so no need to load different regions.

I don't know about your third question. Check out the Zumo forum for a wealth of info.

Also consider the security screw group buy being put together on this forum now.

The 'download maps' feature is for those devices that don't have the entire map preloaded.

I suppose that removing sections of the maps and the POIs that go along with them might make searches faster, but they don't necessarily, since you can limit searches to states/provinces and so on.

No, you cannot unload part of the map system from the Zumo.

Mapsource is also used for research, and to print out directions and maps, such as the rather nice one of my recent road trip from Montreal, through the PA hill country, down through the BRP, Deals Gap and Cherohala to Nashville and back via Cincinatti as depicted on the clickable image below.

Last edited by a moderator: