Zumo Mount FRIED

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DailyCommuter

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Reaction score
My ride home from work last night in the driving rain smoked my Zumo mount. The unit itself is fine but it doesn't get power from the mount anymore. It works fine in the carmount, so I know its just the cyclemount giving me problems. Apparently even though the zumo is waterproof; the mount is not. Anyone ever experience that before? They are $85 bucks to replace. Hopefully Garmin will warranty it! I will report back to the group on Garmins Customer service here as I know you will all want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Granted like I said "driving rain" like when I got off in my garage the puddle in the lap of my rain suit poured off on the floor. I knew something was wrong when during the ride a message popped up on the screen saying,"the usb cable is plugged into the wrong port" funny I thought I don't have anything plugged into a usb cable. But I would have thought if there was a problem the supplied in-line fuse should have blown. Not so.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I noticed about the mount was the XM connector is exposed to the elements and since I do not have XM I filled it with silicon. Did you have the black cover over the connection between the unit and mount, or was the unit in the mount?

call garmin.

they treated me well on a broken screen out of warranty.

unfortunatley dead bike mounts from water is not an unheard of problem. go to the garmin forum some good info there.

Garmin replaced one mount for my Zumo no charge simply because the rubber plug for the audio out plugs came off. They don't have a replacement plug so they sent the whole mount gratis. I've had superb customer service from Garmin.

What I noticed about the mount was the XM connector is exposed to the elements and since I do not have XM I filled it with silicon. Did you have the black cover over the connection between the unit and mount, or was the unit in the mount?

I was riding with the gps in the mount

Garmin replaced one mount for my Zumo no charge simply because the rubber plug for the audio out plugs came off. They don't have a replacement plug so they sent the whole mount gratis. I've had superb customer service from Garmin.
I hope I get the same treatment

I had a mount fail in the rain also. Garmin replaced it under warranty.

My second mount started acting up with static after warranty was up. I had to replace it, $60 after shipping from eBay.

FWIW-

I had a buddy drop a rented Concourse on a trip to cali, it was a very slow speed put down gently in the grass in the middle of steep switchback that he should not have tried to park on (?). His Zumo 550 was in the tank bag not being used (can't remember why), but the screen busted from being tossed around.

He actually called Garmin, and told them what happened and asked if they'd cover it. The laughed at him at first, then compromised and charged him $59, to replace the screen. That is pretty good customer retention policy.

I've ridden moderate rain with the 550 cradle for about an hour, no problem. I can see how they could easily get wet internally though.

I just finished a 2500 mile ride and it rained every day. Some of the heaviest t storms I've been in, with hail etc. The zumo worked perfectly through it all, even tho the little rubber flap thingie that covers the earphone and mic plugs was missing ( I did have plugs in). In my experience, Garmin is very good at replacing stuff that fails.

I had a handheld Garmin Rino 530 GPS go bad a few months out of warranty and they replaced it free. I was pleasantly surprised, although I had a backup plan because my credit union Visa card I used to buy the GPS automatically doubles warranties up to one year (so it would have been covered under that 2yr total warranty).

i got an Email from Garmin support telling me to return it to them for replacement. I will post what happens.... counting on good service.

I wanted to post up right away on this. Yesterday I spoke with customer support, she told me to ship back the broken motorcycle mount, so I was figuring "here we go, it'll be 2 weeks before I get this thing back" so I shipped it ups 2nd day to speed things up. Today ups shows up and gives me a box exactly like the one I shipped, I was like wtf not enough postage? Nope not my box, they overnighted a new one to me before they even received the defective one! NOW THATS SERVICE. Garmin now has a life long customer! So I'm up and running again. I couldn't believe how much I disliked riding with no music. Off to Laconia and Vermont tomorrow with about 12 guys for a day ride and my Zumo is coming along for a ride. All vendors should take this as a perfect model of great customer service! Ah-hem.