Zumo Mount FRIED

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent. That sort of service seems a lost art. The Goodwill PR Garmin gets for it will be read by many. I have had a total of 5 different GPS units and all were Garmin and it will stay that way.

Good on Garmin.

Now on a personal note, I don't see that you mentioned whether the unit was still under warranty... I only ask as mine has suffered many rainy days and will occasionally go on battery power halfway through the day or sometimes takes a little "finesse" to get powered up in the morning.

mine's been in every bit of weather for two years, parked outside most of the time, riding in everything CA can throw at me, still no problems.

My ride home from work last night in the driving rain smoked my Zumo mount. The unit itself is fine but it doesn't get power from the mount anymore. It works fine in the carmount, so I know its just the cyclemount giving me problems. Apparently even though the zumo is waterproof; the mount is not. Anyone ever experience that before? They are $85 bucks to replace. Hopefully Garmin will warranty it! I will report back to the group on Garmins Customer service here as I know you will all want to know.

Excellent. That sort of service seems a lost art. The Goodwill PR Garmin gets for it will be read by many. I have had a total of 5 different GPS units and all were Garmin and it will stay that way.
Which is exactly why I pasted a link to this thread in the orriginal email that I sent to Garmin support!

<br />Good on Garmin.<br /><br />Now on a personal note, I don't see that you mentioned whether the unit was still under warranty... I only ask as mine has suffered many rainy days and will occasionally go on battery power halfway through the day or sometimes takes a little "finesse" to get powered up in the morning.<br />
<br /><br /><br />
Yes it was under warranty. What I found when I removed the mount was there was a crack in the housing which I assume is how the water got in there. Don't really know how it cracked. I may have over tightened the mounting hardware :unsure:

Can't read all the replys, but last year coming back from MOTO GP in IKE My Zumo crapped out the same way. No longer was getting charged. It is not a charger. It is Zumo. They sent me a new charger first and it did not solve the problem. Followed up by the new Zumo unit and whola.

Call Garmin.

I'm not a big fan of Garmin right now. My 550 is displaying the static through the headphones that a lot of people get. I've done most of the contact cleaning tricks that have been on the forums, but finally got sick of trying to fix their poor design. I contacted them via email yesterday, after being told by the automated VM that the call volume was "extremely heavy", and that the wait was expected to be 30 minutes. The response to my complaint was directions to do a SW reset, and when I replied, asking why a SW reset was mentioned as a solution to what is clearly a HW issue, I was told:

I would be happy to help you. I am sorry that you are experiencing static and I know that it is frustrating. I have to follow all troubleshooting steps before I can replace something as defective that may not be. Have you tried a separate headset with the device as the cradle does not give audio on the motorcycle? I am asking you to go through these steps because your device is no longer under warranty and there would be a charge for replacing the mount. The cost of the replacement would be $59.99 plus shipping and handling if purchased through Garmin. The part number is 010-10962-00 if you would like to do an internet search as you may be able to find it for a lesser price. Thank you again for contacting Garmin International.
Nice..... a design issue that they have known about since the first 500/550 was sold, and their resolution is a suggestion that I look for the best place to pay for a replacement. Great CS, Garmin!

6/26 edit: Thank goodness for Discover's free warranty extension. Garmin will get it's money for a new cradle, but it's not coming from me!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem with mine when it was about 2 years old. Moisture got in the cradle. There is a computer type of ribbon connector that connects the many mounting pins to the internal circuit board. Water got between the + and - ribbon connector and burned the little gold strips, not far from the end. Being a long way from home, with my routes now gone, I disassembled the cradle, cut the end off the ribbon connector, scraped away the protective coating ever so carefully and was able to reinsert the ribbon connector into it's socket. HA! It worked!

I bought another when I got home, disassembled it and coated the exposed part of the ribbon connector with silicone grease so the water can't short it out again. I also use silicone grease in the connector sockets to prevent corrosion, especially the XM plug.

I had the same problem with mine when it was about 2 years old. Moisture got in the cradle. There is a computer type of ribbon connector that connects the many mounting pins to the internal circuit board. Water got between the + and - ribbon connector and burned the little gold strips, not far from the end.i
That's exactly what mine looked like!