ZUMO Replacement Screws, and Mounts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
As I think most people know, I put together a group buy for the replacement ZUMO security screw / knob.

I had to replace my ZUMO motorcycle mount this morning, since the audio on the original mount was cutting out intermintently last week, and was totally gone as of Thursday. Fist off, a HUGE kudos to Garmin, for sending me a replacement mount in 2, that is TWO, days, free of charge and no questions asked.

OK, now on to the reason for this post. When I was changing out the mount this morning, and swapping out the security screw, I noticed there was a tiny, I mean tiny, O ring between the main body of the mount, and the top plate. When I unthreaded the original screw, I was careful to not loose this O ring. I then held the mount up right, and managed to get the o ring to drop back into the pocket in the top of the mount, where the security screw threads into when locking the mount. After a few tries, I was able to get the replacement security screw / knob to thread through the O ring, so that it is now just above the threads on the screw when it is installed in the mount. I hope that makes sense.

I only mention this because the first time I changed the screw out, I didn't even notice this O ring, and I think it will help to keep the replacement screw / knob in place, and may help to keep water out of places you don't want it going. Then again, it may be nothing at all, but I thought it was worth a post.

Good luck if you try to save the O ring, and reinstall it. The sucker is small.

WOW Tim. Great find. I was wondering what is holding that screw and how I am going to assure that I am not going to loose new screw.

Watched really carefully when I removed my factory screw. Didn't see a rubber o-ring. I knew one was supposed to be there but it didn't come out with the factory screw. I hope it is still in there if it is supposed to be. Might remove the new screw and see if I can find it just to be sure.

When I replaced mine, I was looking for it. I ordered replacement security screwdriver from Garmin a while back and it came with a new security screw and this really tiny o-ring. That is the only reason I knew it would be there and it was when I removed the original security screw and put the group buy one in. I believe it sits in there pretty well if you are careful during removal of the old one.

What I'd like to know is how have you removed the small gold (metal) circlip that keeps the original screw from being removed from the mount? That sucker is tough to get at.

What I'd like to know is how have you removed the small gold (metal) circlip that keeps the original screw from being removed from the mount? That sucker is tough to get at.
I didn't. I just used my fingers and gently pulled up as I unscrewed the original screw with my fingers and it unscrewed and pulled out. I screwed the tumb screw in and that was that.

I didn't. I just used my fingers and gently pulled up as I unscrewed the original screw with my fingers and it unscrewed and pulled out. I screwed the tumb screw in and that was that.
+1. Just unscrewed it, and then screwed the new one in. I didn't even notice the small gold clip of which you speak.

I haven't been able to pull the screw out even with needle nose pliers! (Yes, that is after unscrewing it for half a day. Well, maybe not quite that long.) Stops at the circlip. ??? I'll try again and will post results. It's a new unit; maybe it's something Garmin recently added?

+1. Just unscrewed it, and then screwed the new one in. I didn't even notice the small gold clip of which you speak.
Same here, what clip? Nice job on packaging the replacement screws Trigger, that same package now holds my original security screw and the screw driver.

Finally got the original screw out. Because the metal circlip was at the very top of the lower set of threads, it had to be removed before I could screw the screw out completely. I've also got the rubber o'ring. The circlip must be something Garmin went to recently so that a screw could not be removed with difficulty.

Call me the O-ring butcher. I saw the o-ring, carefully tried to get the security screw to screw through the o-ring. And promptly busted the rubber o-ring.

I'm not too worried. I have the gps in and out of the cradle at least 4x daily, will make a habit of screwing the screw in when the gps is dismounted. Plus, the security screw would have to 'unwind' through the threads before it call actually fall off.