zumo---usable with gloves?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean

mst3kguy
Reaction score
i'm considering purchasing a zumo based on the positive reviews both by consumers and websites. my biggest gripe about the one i have now, a magellan roadmate 2000 (i know, but it's cheap and it gets me where i need to go) is on the bike and in motion, it's hard to use with gloves. can you perform all the needed functions on the zumo when on the bike at speed with a pair of race-style gloves? a buddy of mine who's a pretty hardcore m/clist made the argument that with his garmin that has buttons, he looks down much less often until he gets the screen he needs; he can just feel for the button and operate what he needs to, keeping his eyes more on the road and less on working the gps.

the other contender is the tomtom rider 2, same question from above.

thanks,

dean

cincinnati

I've never had any problem using the Zumo with gloves. The buttons on the screen are enlarged with on the motorcycle mount and smaller when using the car mount.

No problems with Zumo and gloves and I have some big ol paws!

A Big no on the TT Rider! I bought one of those and end up with the Zumo because the TomTom was a piece of junk.

JW

It works but there are times when I have had to tap the screen a few times to get it to register.....when messing with the volume settings for nav and music....

I often try to mess with the music player and those or smaller icons for the adjusting of the volume and sometimes do not want to play nice, but otherwise it is fine.....

I often get the button 'next door' when attempting to push the one I want. Sometimes frustrating, but not unlivable.

[SIZE=8pt][Edited to sound less negative about the Zumo 550 because it really works as advertised.] [/SIZE]

On occasion, while riding in traffic, wearing heavy winter gloves and trying to the spell the name of the cathouse adult theater church I'm in a hurry to get to, I sometimes miss the letter I was aiming for. Definitely not a big deal.

I probably shouldn't be typing while riding anyway. Not that I do that... :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that the touch screen on my Garmin C550 (auto version of a Zumo) works on pressure, not the proximity of your finger. So if you had some sort of pointy rubber thing attached to the tip of your index finger on your left glove you'd be in fat city...

Last edited by a moderator:
It works but there are times when I have had to tap the screen a few times to get it to register.....when messing with the volume settings for nav and music....
I often try to mess with the music player and those or smaller icons for the adjusting of the volume and sometimes do not want to play nice, but otherwise it is fine.....

Tip:... You don't have to go to the MP3/XM screen to adjust the volume... Just hit the speaker button then the -/+ buttons on the side.

Yes it works well, or well enough with all my gloves except my big ass heated Gerbings, those can be a tad frustrating.

I have the TT Rider 2 and use it with gloves on all the time without too many problems.

A recent software update added a few more features, but I still think the Zumo is a better unit than the TTR2, and I only bought the TTR2 as it was cheaper and included a bluetooth headset, (which I no longer use!).

Deani,

I just completed a 4,500 mile trip with a Zumo 550 to the Hill Country, Big Bend NP, and the Ozarks. I had 21 routes stored for this trip along with a 1000 songs. I successfully tapped away on the Zumo with most of my taps being done while underway. It is a great unit. Nav and music sounds came through a SmartCom Digital which is a great addition to onbike sound. Check out the S plug earphones and Motorola Bluetooth to earphone adapter at Cyclegadgets for a complete setup.

No issues with it for me. I love the thing...music.....phone...oh yeah and the gps thingy too.

Deani,
I just completed a 4,500 mile trip with a Zumo 550 to the Hill Country, Big Bend NP, and the Ozarks. I had 21 routes stored for this trip along with a 1000 songs. I successfully tapped away on the Zumo with most of my taps being done while underway. It is a great unit. Nav and music sounds came through a SmartCom Digital which is a great addition to onbike sound. Check out the S plug earphones and Motorola Bluetooth to earphone adapter at Cyclegadgets for a complete setup.

Assume you mean a Starcom Digital. I just bought a Starcom advace from Jeff at Bike effects (the best place to get your Stacom IMO) and agree they are nice units.

Also, thanks for the lead on the Cycle Gadgets adapter.

Those are pretty funny. Totally unnecessary for the zumo. Maybe handy for a Palm, though. And probably real good for picking your nose.
Never used a Zumo, so I have to plead ignorance.

Here's the stylus that I was looking for, 'specially designed fer motorsickles. I knew I had seen it a few days ago when I was looking for some other farkle:

https://www.bmwsantacruz.com/Merchant2/merc...ct_Code=1250289
hmm, nifty, but i'm thinkin' duct tape and a paper clip. ( :

dean

cincinnati

Latest posts