zumo---usable with gloves?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never used a Zumo, so I have to plead ignorance.
Here's the stylus that I was looking for, 'specially designed fer motorsickles. I knew I had seen it a few days ago when I was looking for some other farkle:

https://www.bmwsantacruz.com/Merchant2/merc...ct_Code=1250289
Well, I was trying to be a smartass, but not a mean spirited one. I've had some devices -- like my first gps -- where that would have been a really handy little tool. I notice the example on the site shows a rider using it with a Palm device and it looks good for that. But it's overkill for the zumo. It works fine with gloves. I mean, yeah, I've occasionally missed what I was aiming for, but it was more a function of me keeping an eye on the road than the zumo button being too small. And it's easy to move back if you do make a mistake. Again, having it work well with gloves was one of the design goals and I think they did a good job of meeting it.

Zumo 550. No problems at all operating it with gloves.

That thing is friggin awesome. It's wired to my StarCom so it'll give me directions (very handy - the GF and I are going on a nice ride over the weekend and it's going to guide us along the way).

I loaded a crapload of MP3s on a SD card so I also get music.

All I need is the right cable so I can use my cell phone (cable for the StarCom - to - Zumo for the microphone; cell phone - to - Zumo via Bluetooth). Not that I really want to chat while riding, but it would be handy.

Zumo 550. No problems at all operating it with gloves.
That thing is friggin awesome. It's wired to my StarCom so it'll give me directions (very handy - the GF and I are going on a nice ride over the weekend and it's going to guide us along the way).

I loaded a crapload of MP3s on a SD card so I also get music.

All I need is the right cable so I can use my cell phone (cable for the StarCom - to - Zumo for the microphone; cell phone - to - Zumo via Bluetooth). Not that I really want to chat while riding, but it would be handy.
If you will be powering the Zumo and the Starcom off the bike 12VDC you need to use isolation cables between the Zumo and Starcom for both the sound and the mike or risk damaging the Starcom. They are part numbers MUS-04 and MIC-01.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you will be powering the Zumo and the Starcom off the bike 12VDC you need to use isolation cables between the Zumo and Starcom for both the sound and the mike or risk damaging the Starcom. They are part numbers MUS-04 and MIC-01.
Cool.

Thanks for the info!

And just a note to all you new Zumo owners, (or any GPS really) stop by an Office Max or something simular and buy a screen protector for your GPS. I bought a dozen of them in a little folder marketed by the PALM folks. Enough to do my Zumo , my touchscreen Sony camera, everyone in the houses cell phones with leftovers to spare.They are removable and replacable...and will protect your screen from whatever plastic poker you glue/strap to your glove.

KM

A Big no on the TT Rider! I bought one of those and end up with the Zumo because the TomTom was a piece of junk.
Agreed and same here. The Zumo 550 isn't perfect (and, in some ways, a step backwards for Garmin) but it is *light years* better than the TT Rider 2.

I use mine with gloves with no problems. I linked my zumo to my Cell phone I can't talk but I can see on the Zumo screen that I'm getting a call. If it is someone I need to talk to I just pull over and call them back.

I use mine with gloves with no problems. I linked my zumo to my Cell phone I can't talk but I can see on the Zumo screen that I'm getting a call. If it is someone I need to talk to I just pull over and call them back.
I originally did it that way. Most of the time I would just let it roll to voice mail and then decide later if I wanted to call them back.

Then I got the GPS hooked up to my intercom with a mike cable. A couple of weeks back a client called me while I was off riding (playing hookey). He never even knew I was on my bike, the sound quality is that good.

Latest posts