Zumo XM antenna install question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifrik

Reaction score
I read somewhere that someone mounted their XM antenna under the rear seat. Is that possible? Does it need to be out in the open?

While I don't have an XM pod for my Zumo, the seat on the FJR is plastic, so you could mount the antenna there - it might not be so effective if someone is sitting on top of it, mind you.

While I don't have an XM pod for my Zumo, the seat on the FJR is plastic, so you could mount the antenna there - it might not be so effective if someone is sitting on top of it, mind you.
I've had my XM antenna under the rear seat, it works well solo. The few times i've had the wife on the bike (since installing the XM) i didn't notice any problems. However, just recently when i had some luggage strapped to the back seat for a longer trip i could see an obvious reduction in signal, to the point of being annoying. So the XM puck is now on top of the Givi topbox.

I read somewhere that someone mounted their XM antenna under the rear seat. Is that possible? Does it need to be out in the open?
My understanding is metal blocks the signal entirely and plastic not so much. The only way to know if you're going to be satisfied with the signal strength is to give it a try.

I mounted my XM antenna inside the fairing on the left side behind the glove box. Works great and cant be seen. It 's pretty much just stuffe in the area with a ton of foam padding, havn't thought about in years.

I mounted my XM antenna inside the fairing on the left side behind the glove box. Works great and cant be seen. It 's pretty much just stuffe in the area with a ton of foam padding, havn't thought about in years.
So your antenna is not pointing at the sky, actually sounds like its 90 degrees out, and still works fine - interesting.

I've got the same antenna, but a 2820 GPS... and it's mounted under the back seat held in place by the elastic strap that is towards the back. Seems to work fine so far.

Thanks for sharing your method Lake Powerll, yesterday while working on the bike i decided to try your general idea. I relocated my XM puck to the RHS corner of the top fairing, right behind the OEM fuse block. That area is completely vacant an the XM puck fits in very nicely and is naturally positioned almost at the perfect angle. So far in that location i get full signal even parked in the garage.

I followed Lake Powell's advice and did the same. Works good!