ZX14 Dreaming

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're all making it sound way too good! Now I need to look at my retirement plan one more time..........................

Today, I rode my ZX to a BMW store sponsored "Bike Swap" day. I rode up, backed up to the curb, and before I had my helmet off, I had a bunch of folks swarming all over the ZX. Their looks were kinda like this: :dribble:

So methinks that the ZX14 & 'Busa have a definite following among the masses.

The silver and chrome was all a'sparklin' in the sun. Wow! :yahoo:

Between yesterday and today, I have purchased an ambient temp gauge, an analog clock, and some BMW winter waterproof/windproof gloves. :blink: Here's a pic of the little gauges- temp on one side, time on the other.

Close-ups003-1.jpg

Somebody STOP me! :p

Don't walk. Run! to the dealer and buy the sucker..........

Last edited by a moderator:
My 57 year old neighbour has a new zx14 and rides it with cowboys boots on his feet.
As opposed to cowboy boots on his hands? Where else can you wear them other than your feet... LOL
Forchristssakes...try and stave off one smartassed comment by wording things carefully and then get blindsided.

F%#king Canadians!

Wait a second, I R one...DOH!

If your in halfway decent physical shape then buy one now. I have the 2008 Blue Saphhire and there is nothing negative I can say about the bike. It handles great, the braking is excellent, the riding position is very comfortable and I'm 6'1" 220 lbs, and the acceleration is almost , well maybe just as good as sex. ;)

If you feel reasonably competent then go for it. I will be 70 next year and ride the FJR with exuberance. Gee, I would really like to have an R1(as second bike) but think the riding position would be uncomfortable. With that in mind we are not in our 20's 30's or 40's and more caution is prudent. No way my reflexes or endurance iare as good as it was 30 years ago. Guys over 65 should not be pulling more than a wheelie a week.

By the way, if anyone in my area would like a demo on a ZX14, contact me. Or just motor in to Monroe Motorsports and see Aaron or Nathan. They'll fix you up.
What price is the ZX-14 selling for? Can a good deal be had?

Well, I'm in great shape and you guys convinced me so I checked with my wife and she said no way.

On the other hand I rode the FJR up CA Hwy 1 yesterday and loved every second of it!

Thanks.

I guess a deal depends on what you want out of the deal. :unsure:

I got pretty much what anyone can get from any dealer. I probably paid a bit more... but I get exemplary dealer service from Aaron, Nathan, Ben and the bunch.

One small example: I lost a bodywork fastener. They just found one, installed it and said "Go ride!".

They've installed several of my farkles for free. (yes, I did purchase the stuff from them, but still....).

Priority service. Not much, but nice.

Pickup me up or take me home. Not much, but nice.

Discount on most parts.

I guess it all depends.

I guess a deal depends on what you want out of the deal. :unsure:
I got pretty much what anyone can get from any dealer. I probably paid a bit more... but I get exemplary dealer service from Aaron, Nathan, Ben and the bunch.

One small example: I lost a bodywork fastener. They just found one, installed it and said "Go ride!".

They've installed several of my farkles for free. (yes, I did purchase the stuff from them, but still....).

Priority service. Not much, but nice.

Pickup me up or take me home. Not much, but nice.

Discount on most parts.

I guess it all depends.
So one would expect to pay msrp most everywhere here in the states?

I got a little over $1000 off.

I think there's places around (like the D & D FJR deal) where the OTD price is pretty good.

Well, I'm in great shape and you guys convinced me so I checked with my wife and she said no way.
Aww man, why the Presidential veto? Was it a purely financial argument, or a more emotional objection?

My wife was vehemently opposed to me getting a ZX-14 when I first started expressing interest in it in '06. Thought for sure I was going to kill myself on it. I didn't argue too strongly because I didn't need it, and was quite satisfied with my ZZR1200.

But then early last summer we were prowling the bike shops, as we are oft wont to do, and as usual, I would sit on and quietly lust for a 14 every time we saw one on the floor. Then one day, my wonderful wife said, "I know you really love that bike... why don't you just get one?"

:yahoo:

The point is, she finally realized she's my wife, not my mother, and that if I'm not killing myself on the ZZR, I'm probably not going to kill myself any deader on the 14.

It's now or never. You're in good shape, you're an experienced rider, and you want it. If it's important to you, talk to your wife some more. IMO, there needs to be a damn good, solid reason for something to get nixxed off the bucket list. Life is too short.

Aww man, why the Presidential veto? Was it a purely financial argument, or a more emotional objection?

My wife was vehemently opposed to me getting a ZX-14 when I first started expressing interest in it in '06. Thought for sure I was going to kill myself on it. I didn't argue too strongly because I didn't need it, and was quite satisfied with my ZZR1200.

But then early last summer we were prowling the bike shops, as we are oft wont to do, and as usual, I would sit on and quietly lust for a 14 every time we saw one on the floor. Then one day, my wonderful wife said, "I know you really love that bike... why don't you just get one?"

:yahoo:

The point is, she finally realized she's my wife, not my mother, and that if I'm not killing myself on the ZZR, I'm probably not going to kill myself any deader on the 14.

It's now or never. You're in good shape, you're an experienced rider, and you want it. If it's important to you, talk to your wife some more. IMO, there needs to be a damn good, solid reason for something to get nixxed off the bucket list. Life is too short.
Mostly financial and "you don't need it, you wouldn't ride your FZ1 when you had two bikes". I'll use your approach and wear her down over time!

Mostly financial and "you don't need it, you wouldn't ride your FZ1 when you had two bikes". I'll use your approach and wear her down over time!
I'm willing to the bet that wouldn't happen with the ZX14. <_<

You'd probably find yourself on the 14 most of time, and taking the FJR for longer rides and/or when the carrying capacity is needed. The two complement each other nicely.

You'd probably find yourself on the 14 most of time, and taking the FJR for longer rides and/or when the carrying capacity is needed. The two complement each other nicely.

Ummmm....Yea! What he said! :clapping:

2008_0223Image0017-1.jpg

and................

Stephen3-31-2008016.jpg

You're too old only when you're in a nursing home!
Corollary Rule: You need to do this shit NOW, before you get to that nursing home!

And you don't have to be 65 to subscribe to this school of thought. If there is something you want to do in life, do it now, right now, while you can. While you are physically able. While you still have your health. While you are still alive.... hey, you don't know what tomorrow may bring..... :unsure:

Get the bike.
Warchild thinks I am 107 years old but he is mistaken, he's somewhat close but not correct. I believe you are as young as you feel and I keep the flame burning by living life to its fullest, one day at a time.

WC is right on in his advice,"You need to do this shit NOW". I recently got an 05 YZF R1, went to a professionally sponsored novice track riding school and I can tell you honestly it is one of the best decisions in my riding experiences, which go back to 1955.. I have found even at my age, I can ride my own ride and do it quickly and safely. I realize I will never be as good as the pros or more experienced trackriders, but I can still go fast as I can handle safely and get a real "high" from the time I spend on the track. Usually do appx. 90-100 miles per track day and although I do do feel somewhat tired when the riding is over, I am not exhausted the next day. I am truly grateful that I found the R1 and I would not trade the experience on it for anything. :D

When I was diagnoised with chronic arthritis of the spine years ago, Ankylosying Spondylitis, my mother said, "well I guess you'll have to get rid of those bikes." And my response was, "I'll get rid of those bikes when they pry them out of my dead, cold, crippled fingers." So yes, do it now, whatever bike you decide. And the point is, have fun while your doing it. Just don't be caught one day when its too late on a couch watching the history channel saying, "man I wish I would have bought that bike!" PM. <>< :yahoo:

There's not much more gratifying and inspirational to me than seeing an older (than me) gent enjoying a sporting machine, be it motorcycle, car or or otherwise. Gives me hope for the (not too distant) future!

Next on my list: a Ducati 1098!

I have to agree, when I sat on the 14, it was very comfortable for a sport bike. I'm almost 6' and the reach and seating position was very neutral. No tip-toeing to reach the ground was good as well. Great bike. PM. <>< :D