ZX14 vs FJR comparo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great shots. I took the FJR out yesterday and the ZX14 out today. If I had to pick just one, it would be the FJR. The 14 is just too f-ing fast. No way to hold it in double digits. And with the FJR, I still feel like I could ride across the country.

For pure fun, the 14 kicks A.

Good problem to have, choosing between the two, no?

I had the pleasure of riding a ZX14 last sunday, And holy shit, Was that fun! I almost didn't want to get back on the FJR!

What a well balanced machine! I could see myself getting one in addition to the FJR.

I ride both the FJR and the ZX14 equally now. Frankly, I prefer the FJR. The 14 is definately faster and is more fun. But, it's actually too fast. The FJR is just right, not too hot and not too cold.

I have a 2008 ZX14 and a 2005 FJR. Both bikes are top of the line motorcycles. I ride the FJR more for touring because thats what it is- a sport tourer. I love the ZX for f@!&king around and for shorter trips. It's great to own both of them - they complement each other.

I have a 2008 ZX14 and a 2005 FJR. Both bikes are top of the line motorcycles. I ride the FJR more for touring because thats what it is- a sport tourer. I love the ZX for f@!&king around and for shorter trips. It's great to own both of them - they complement each other.
Same bikes, exact same experience. I put 3x the miles on the FJR. Glad to have both.

Thanks for the comparo Texan. I have a '06 ZX-14 and I am going to look at a '05 FJR tomorrow.

For those considering a 14, '06 and '07's with the flies removed, after market exhaust and power commander have the same power as the newer modded 14's. I lost 26 lbs on my bike with a full Yosh exhaust. The 14 has monumental brakes and is extreamly reliable.

I also have a '00 Suzuki SV650 naked V-twin. Weighs 411 lbs with the tank full and Yosh exhaust. The 14 is a good cornering bike for it's size but you need to keep pressure on the handle bar in a corner. The SV needs no pressure and loves the corners with after market front and rear shocks. It's a successful track bike against other bikes with more power. Figure 12.0 @ 110 in the 1/4. With a Corbin seat it is an inexpensive, reliable, fun ride.

Thanks for the comparo Texan. I have a '06 ZX-14 and I am going to look at a '05 FJR tomorrow.
For those considering a 14, '06 and '07's with the flies removed, after market exhaust and power commander have the same power as the newer modded 14's. I lost 26 lbs on my bike with a full Yosh exhaust. The 14 has monumental brakes and is extreamly reliable.

The 14 is a good cornering bike for it's size but you need to keep pressure on the handle bar in a corner. The SV needs no pressure and loves the corners with after market front and rear shocks. It's a successful track bike against other bikes with more power. Figure 12.0 @ 110 in the 1/4. With a Corbin seat it is an inexpensive, reliable, fun ride.
You can set the chassis nearly anyway you want. My ZXer wanted to dive into turns. I reset the chassis to my specs per the owners manual and now it handles like you describe.... that's the way I prefer it. I did the same thing to my Feejer. I want to control the turn. It's one of those subjective thingies.

Here are the comparo pics.
Another observation about the ZX14. It feels electric. The torque is so instantaneous, it does not feel like any other internal combustion vehicle I have ever driven. Twist the throttle at any speed in any gear, and the bike instantaneously pulls forward. And it pulls hard.

If you're in Austin and we go riding together, take a spin on my bike and see what I mean. (but please don't drop it :eek: )

frontfjrvs14.jpg

rearfjrvs14.jpg

sidefjrvs14.jpg

othersidefjrvs14.jpg

anglefjrvs14.jpg

topfjrvs14.jpg

topfrontfjrvs14.jpg

Another observation about the ZX14. It feels electric. The torque is so instantaneous, it does not feel like any other internal combustion vehicle I have ever driven. Twist the throttle at any speed in any gear, and the bike instantaneously pulls forward. And it pulls hard.

If you're in Austin and we go riding together, take a spin on my bike and see what I mean. (but please don't drop it :eek: )

topfrontfjrvs14.jpg
Wow! That is a terrific stable there...no wonder you are a proud papa.

Reading this thread is like giving crack to a druggie. I have been eying an 09 metallic green ZX-14 for a few weeks now. I think "I NEED one honey"!!! (looks around for possible household items to sell) :ph34r: :ph34r:

"Reading this thread is like giving crack to a druggie."

Ditto. Fawkers are just tessing us.

Brock's new short can dual titanium full exhaust (CT model I think) just about makes me wet my pants.

There is a Utube video of it. looks awesome, not too loud, plenty mean, light at hell. :love:

That exhaust + light wheels + PC iii w/ tune + a sargent seat; would put the halloween ZX14 in dream bike territory.

Last edited by a moderator:

frontfjrvs14.jpg

rearfjrvs14.jpg

sidefjrvs14.jpg

othersidefjrvs14.jpg

anglefjrvs14.jpg

topfjrvs14.jpg

topfrontfjrvs14.jpg
Thank you so much for these side by side pics. It made my decission harder though. I can't afford both so I have to make a decission weather to sell the 14 and get the FJR or just keep the 14 and buy another FJ1200 (old school). By the way, Sargent cycle has a nice seat for the 14. I have it on my bike and it is very comfortable, and it looks good too.

Last edited by a moderator: