Electric clothing question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian B

Reaction score
Don't hate me for this but I live where it rarely gets below 28 degrees. 5 months out of the year the morning lows are below 50 and I add the extra winter layer. I am debating just getting some Tourmaster winter Elite gloves or getting electric gloves and a jacket liner. I wear overpants and a fleece pullover under my leather jacket when it gets below 50 and I am good until about 35 degrees and my hands start to get cold. I will admit my winter gloves are not that great and need to be replaced with something better. My gloves are currently the weakest part of my winter set but if I go electric I might as well get a vest also.

Here is the question. Do you electric guys turn the stuff on when it is in the 40's or is it too warm at that temperature range? I would prefer to not buy electric clothes if I am only going to wear them 5% of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used my Gerbings in the twenties, but definitely in the teens.

I have glove liners under my leather riding gloves that work well enough for a 40min commute 95% of the time.

I commute in a 'Stitch and don't bother with the electric jacket liner or gloves till it hits about 40 or less. They keep me good till it's seriously cold.

I use my electric vest when the temps drop below 50 degrees. I don't really need it at these temps, but using it allows me to ride with the liner only ( no layering off clothes under my jacket) which gives me a lot more freedom of movement and less time getting suited up. Kind of nice too, when you have a sore shoulder or something:)

QUOTE (Brian B @ Dec 10 2008, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you electric guys turn the stuff on when it is in the 40's or is it too warm at that temperature range?
Everyone reacts differently to cold - I'm Canadian and 34 is "balmy" and my wife is Texan and anything below 6o degrees is "fracking cold!" :) It also depends on the speed and conditions - temps at 40mph down a country road are different than at 75mph in the interstate.

That being said, I'll turn my gear on when it gets to the mid-low 40's. I have a thermostat so I can regulate the gear temps higher or lower.

My Gerbing jacket is comfortable enough that it isn't a pain to wear in the first place. It sure is nice being able to just turn it on if it gets a bit colder than expected as the sun goes down! I find that it is safer too - when you're getting c-c-c-cold you tend not to turn your head as far to check for oncoming traffic at an intersection. With the heated jacket, even the turtle neck is heated so you actually enjoy taking a good look to the left then the right to feel the extra warmth!!

I removed the liner to my jacket and use the Gerbings liner instead. I turn it on about 40 degrees and I'm good to about 25. If I left the fleece liner in, I assume I could go much lower. I also have my Warm and Safe Gloves plugged into the liner when it gets in the 30's.

My Aerostitch Darien has the heated liner and I don't really need it very often. My FJR with the Vstream shield and the fairing flaps extended has excellent wind protection, which is key to staying warm. I probably wouldn't need the electrics until temps went below freezing - heck I used to ride without heat on a Blackbird in temps down to freezing. But once I got the heated liner I figured I might as well use it, so I often plug in when temps dip into the 40's. It also allows me to simply throw my jacket on over a T-shirt and be comfortable.

It was 28 coming into work this AM and I stayed toasty with my thermal liner in my Tourmaster Venture pants, my Widder vest and gloves and my heavy socks in my TCX boots. Also my grip heaters were on high!

If it is 50 degrees in the morning, I don't put on my electrics, if it's 49 I do. You don't really "need" them until it is 45 or so, but it's nice to have that extra warmth. I use my grip heaters to warm up my hands up into the mid 50's.

I rode for years with just grip heaters year round, but the older I get, the more I like that extra warmth.

Pretty much fall in line with everyone else. Other than heavy rain here the last couple of days, been running between low 30's to mid 40's. Found myself hesitating to use it, thought being that I'll look for even more when it gets colder, but found I really enjoy not having to layer up. Much easier in the morning and much more comfortable, with a couple of days of not even turning it on. Use the Warm n' Safe under the top-half of my 'Stich and have been very happy. And yeah, surprising how much I've grown to appreciate that heated collar!

Hey Brian

Dont live to far from you, I wear the Stitch RoadCrafter, and it works just fine by itself down towards the 50's. I have a Gerbings jacket and the G3 gloves and use the dual controller. I just got it a few weeks ago so I'm still in the learning stage. Has not been cold enough yet to turn the heat all the way up. I could ride without the heated gear and be fine, but man, it makes a big differance in the comfort levels. Looking for those sub-freezing days to really check it out, soon!

I dunno. I don't have a thermometer on my bike. I put on the electrics if it's a cold morning, or I'm going to be riding into the night. When I get cold I turn them on. Heat Troller is nice because you can dial in just how much heat you need. Just get the electrics because even if you only use them 5% of the time, you'll be REALLY glad you have them.

I have a Gerbing liner (heated sleeves and collar) that I wear under my winter jacket. I generally put it on if the temp is below 50 or so. If I get cold I turn it on. Otherwise it is just a layer of insulation. I only have an on/off switch so I just flip the switch in the direction needed. I you aren't wearing the electrics, you can't turn it on.

I have a Gerbing liner (heated sleeves and collar) that I wear under my winter jacket. I generally put it on if the temp is below 50 or so. If I get cold I turn it on. Otherwise it is just a layer of insulation.
+1

I really like the Gerbing jacket liner as a layer of insulation under my Vanson leather jacket for below 55 rides. But by the time temps are down in the mid 40's, I'm starting to turn grips and jacket liner on low.

Different strokes for different folks. I'll put on and run my electric vest before I put on any other insulation. I feel I have more freedom of movement than with my bulky (but warm) Aerostich windblock fleece. But from what I've read, your issue is your hands. Since your not using electrics now, I'd recommend V-Strom handguards in combination with some heated grips. This allows good warmth using a lighter glove for better control and dexterity. And you're not tethered to the motorcycle.