Do you trust this reply?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sradek

Redbird!!
Reaction score
I found an ad for a 2006 FJR A.

Here's my response to the ad text:

Why are you selling?

What's the condition of the MC? Any spills, scratches?

How many miles on it? What service is done on it - by dealer or by yourself?

If service done by dealer - do you have service records?

Was break-in advice (re: tach RPM) followed?

Is it all stock or anything done to it?

Is title clear?

Can you email me pics?

What size are the (2) Helmets and (2) coats?

The seller replies:

I'm selling due to future plans for children. The bike has just over 3800 miles and is in showroom condition. The break in period was followed and the last service/oil change was done by the dealership at 500 miles as recommended by the factory. The next service is at 4500 miles. There is a lien with my credit union, however the title can be received on site if the purchase is done with cash. The picture on the website is the only picture I have available. It is currently covered and locked up until someone wishes to view it in person. The helmets are extra large and an extra small. The sizes are the same with the riding coats. If there are any other questions that I can answer please don't hesitate to ask.

=============

My reply to him ...

"I'm selling due to future plans for children." Please explain. This reason is beyond my understanding.

What's the purchase date?

You must understand, I can't come to CA to pay you in cash. I can't take the risk anyway. There are other ways to pay.

I think an escrow account is the only way to do this transaction. Look at escrow.com.

If you provide me with information about your credit union, maybe we can make something work.

Is my mind playing games or is this guy scamming? Why is he selling for 10,900? Something doesn't seem right. Just money issues ...? But he doesn't come out and say it. I know biker mentality, they are honest to a tee.

Why are you selling?

Is title clear?

Can you email me pics?

The seller replies:

I'm selling due to future plans for children. The bike has just over 3800 miles and is in showroom condition. The break in period was followed and the last service/oil change was done by the dealership at 500 miles as recommended by the factory. The next service is at 4500 miles. There is a lien with my credit union, however the title can be received on site if the purchase is done with cash. The picture on the website is the only picture I have available. It is currently covered and locked up until someone wishes to view it in person. The helmets are extra large and an extra small. The sizes are the same with the riding coats. If there are any other questions that I can answer please don't hesitate to ask.

=============

My reply to him ...

"I'm selling due to future plans for children." Please explain. This reason is beyond my understanding.

You must understand, I can't come to CA to pay you in cash. I can't take the risk anyway. There are other ways to pay.

I think an escrow account is the only way to do this transaction. Look at escrow.com.

If you provide me with information about your credit union, maybe we can make something work.

Is my mind playing games or is this guy scamming? Why is he selling for 10,900? Something doesn't seem right. Just money issues ...? But he doesn't come out and say it. I know biker mentality, they are honest to a tee.
The $10,900 is pretty unbelievable for a 06 Cali bike. Most sell new for 14 or $15,000+, although with some heavy searching you may get one for $13,000.

Where in Cali is the bike? There's a lot of forum members in Ca, maybe we can do a drive by and check it out for you?

Why are you selling?

Is title clear?

Can you email me pics?

The seller replies:

=============

My reply to him ...

The $10,900 is pretty unbelievable for a 06 Cali bike. Most sell new for 14 or $15,000+, although with some heavy searching you may get one for $13,000.

Where in Cali is the bike? There's a lot of forum members in Ca, maybe we can do a drive by and check it out for you?
Yes, the price seems low and so ... suspicious. The reason for selling seems a bit odd.

I will ask for the bike's address and get back.

CISCO sold his 2,500 mile bike because of a new kid that was planned, so I guess all that is odd is the price.

Tell us where he's form and someone in CA could surely check it out!

Last edited by a moderator:
CISCO sold his 2,500 mile bike because of a new kid that was planned, so I guess all that is odd is the price.
Tell us where he's form and someone in CA could surely check it out!
+1 on local inspection.
Could well be just poor command of the english language and a desperate vendor looking to end his payments.

- and if there is a lien, you make your check out to the credit union at their location and get them to sign off on the title

con job . ask him for the vin number and see what you get . i bet a big fat zero . and if he does have a number see if the info checks out with his name and adress.

I don't understand why you're looking in Kali, especially if you're willing to go to CT to ride a K12. There are many 06As closer to NJ than Kali. I pointed out a dealership in PA that was auctioning brand new 06A last week, in fact. Have you tried asking your dealer if they can do the legwork and locate one for you?

con job . ask him for the vin number and see what you get . i bet a big fat zero . and if he does have a number see if the info checks out with his name and adress.
I think its a scam, but:

I wouldn't just give out my vin number if you asked.

What you could do is ask what the name and phone # of his dealer was and call them. Ask them if they have any records.

Plus if I was selling I don't know how comfortable I would be about not getting cash or a cashiers check. I've never used an escrow service for purchaces and I don't know if I'd want to bother learning how if it were me selling something as hard to get as an 06 FJR.

With the bike being a Cali bike then certainly there are plenty of Cali citizens that would want it if it's real.

I went to Georgia from Ohio to get my barely used 03 and paid a premium to get it. There will be plenty of people willing to travel.

sounds legit bank or credit union wont release title to out of state buyer without verifying funds- cash is quickest way to get title in hand. I buy and sell heavy equipment and find cash is the fastest way to purchase. if you ride off with an orginal title match up vin with unaltered vin on bike with no liens attached and its handed to you by the bank or credit wont be a problem

Yeah, I can't say 'scam' right off on this. My boss almost got bit by a buyer on his truck. Brought a cashiers check to him from some podunk bank. The buyer told him to just take it to Western Union who'll cut you $$$ no questions asked. My boss told him he'd cash it at his bank and then give the keys to him.

Good thing he did. It was a fake cashiers check.

So I get the cash only. I sold my SV cash only. Any legit buyer gets that. But I wouldn't fly to CA from NJ for a buy. I'd stay local, go with the $$$ in hand, check the bike out, and if I felt comfortable with everything I'd buy it.

sradek,

Dude, it's time to move on. Don't waste your time. There are plenty of '06s for sale and if you pay a few hundred more for something closer to home, so be it.

I've always followed my gut with these things - don't let your heart get in the way. I was bidding on an '05 K12GT a few months ago and lost the bid on ebay. Then some guy e-mails me and says the winning bidder fell through.

He said I had to process funds via bank transfer to his bank in FL, but the bike was in NC! He said he "owns businesses in both FL and NC." I said there's no way I'm sending money anywhere until I see the bike. He said "Meet me in NC and I'll show you the bike. If you don't like it I'll give you your money back."

Yeah, right. Like I said, move on.

lots of fake cashiers check in this area software is out there to print checks some have set up 1-800 numbers on checks so when you call they pretend like they are a legit business and its some body at a residence-cash works for me although if over 10,000 the bank will have you fill out an irs form (no big deal) other than too many of them might get you an audit

lots of fake cashiers check in this area software is out there to print checks some have set up 1-800 numbers on checks so when you call they pretend like they are a legit business and its some body at a residence-cash works for me although if over 10,000 the bank will have you fill out an irs form (no big deal) other than too many of them might get you an audit
In the case of the FJR he's buying, not selling.
When selling privately, you need to be very careful

If you don't live in cali why would you want a cali bike? Diff emmision restrictions.

If you do go for this and take cash, you take cash to the credit union where you can be assured the cash is applied to the bike for a clear title. I would not do it. there are 06's listed on the forum for sale closer to you. Also, I am sure there new untitled bikes still at dealers. Some dealers on e-bay for 12,600 last lime I looked.

I does sound like a scam but I will say that from time to time I sell things or otherwise raise cash for my kids and if somebody pressed me for details I'd tell 'em to piss off. Just a thought.

In the case of the FJR he's buying, not selling.
When selling privately, you need to be very careful
I realized that I was only indicating why the seller would want cash and in current times I wouldnt consider it to raise a flag on the purchase