gps mounting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie

Reaction score
This has probably been covered a dozen times but where would you guys recommend calling to help with gps mounting and wiring? I have a Garmin 765T I want to mount and would like to get in touch with a place where I can get everything I need.

Thanks

ed

GPSCity.com has been great for me.

Ram mounts in stock, low prices and free shipping for orders over 25.00.

I ordered from several different places for what I wanted: MCL, gpscity and powerlet.

DSCN1241.jpg

The power socket is wired directly to the battery with a 7 amp in-line fuse so I can use it for air compressor, battery tender, etc.

I ordered from several different places for what I wanted: MCL, gpscity and powerlet.

DSCN1241.jpg

The power socket is wired directly to the battery with a 7 amp in-line fuse so I can use it for air compressor, battery tender, etc.
Do you have a ziplock bag you can throw over the whole deal in case of rain?

Yes and no. I unplug the gps and remove it from the cradle, put it in a ziplok baggie (ziplok down), then put the ziplok part thru the cradle at the bottom and snap the gps back it place, plug it in and zip it up. I find it better this way b/c I can pull it taut in front so the screen is easier to read. It sounds weird, I know. I'll see if I can get some pics of what I mean.

edit: I don't worry about covering the power socket. It's not the standard cigarette lighter. It's o-ring sealed to keep the rain out when in use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and no. I unplug the gps and remove it from the cradle, put it in a ziplok baggie (ziplok down), then put the ziplok part thru the cradle at the bottom and snap the gps back it place, plug it in and zip it up. I find it better this way b/c I can pull it taut in front so the screen is easier to read. It sounds weird, I know. I'll see if I can get some pics of what I mean.

edit: I don't worry about covering the power socket. It's not the standard cigarette lighter. It's o-ring sealed to keep the rain out when in use.
Here's what I do- gps in baggie, feed baggie ziplok down thru cradle, feed power cable and/or earbuds up thru the bottom, the zip it up. Simple.

DSCN2781.jpg

DSCN2782.jpg

I use a Tech Mounts stem mountand then have a RAM QD mount, putting the base onto the stem mount and buying several of the adapter plates to put on my two GPSs (Nuvi 265 and Nuvi 1350). To power everything up I use a Burns Moto USB socket with SAE adapter to mount to my SAE charging cable that sticks out of the right fairing. I use a standard USB cable, and wrap it around the mount several times to remove the slack.

Works like a champ! I also picked up a single-to-dual SAE 'splitter' that lets me power two devices from the SAE pigtail, so I can eventually run my phone or Yaesu VX-8DR ham radio handi-talkie (just got the Bluetooth adapter installed in the h/t). The Burns adapter also lets me charge my phone, or Scala G9 headsets, while on the road.

Re rain, I find that when I'm actually moving there isn't any rain on the GPS. A zip-lock bag is sufficient for waterproofing, though.

Good luck!

.....To power everything up I use a Burns Moto USB socket with SAE adapter to mount to my SAE charging cable that sticks out of the right fairing. I use a standard USB cable, and wrap it around the mount several times to remove the slack......
Good luck!
Folks need to be careful about what they use to power their gps. Older models like my Garmin 780 are unusable when charging via USB port, hence my use of a power socket instead.

Hmm. I recently bought the RAM mount system for my Garmin 1490T. Since I bought my FJR used, the previous owner had installed the MCL risers and mount points, which made the use of the RAM system just a 1, 2, 3 act. I power my Garmin with a cigarette lighter power cable, this is a small version so it fits this auxiliary power outlet in the fairing box (who in the right mind would create such a hole!! I'm 6'4" and have shovels, not hands, so working with this box is a true pain!!) Mines is position on the stem nut, which I like best, since it doesn't force me to look away, if I need to look at my Garmin, instead of the mount points offered on the grips.

Mines is position on the stem nut, which I like best, since it doesn't force me to look away, if I need to look at my Garmin, instead of the mount points offered on the grips.
That's kinda silly, you don't use mirrors <_< ? Would you consider that "looking away" too?

It may seem when looking at the pics from the side that the gps is stuck way out yonder but when seated it's actually halfway between the speedometer and the mirror and it blocks the full view of neither when properly adjusted. I prefer shifting my gaze outward as that for me is a natural glace. Besides- it's not like anyone glares at the gps for any length of time- it's a glance. Really, for a glacing moment what difference what direction: out, up or down?

I've used both, a stem mount and a clutch reservoir mount. IMO I think the clutch reservoir mount is by far the safest and easiest to use. The stem mount does look good, but for me, the clutch mount is a lot easier. Your attention from the road is far less with the clutch mount. It looks like the clutch mount would block your view of the mirror but it doesn't obstruct it at all. You can see how looking at the stem mount would require moving your eyes further from the road, unless you look directly in front of your bike.

0222.jpg

Some of us don't have a clutch to mount on, so the Rambone is working very well for me.