Looking to get a new GPS, what do you own?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a member of the male species(hehe, I said member)....I have no requirement for gps or maps or directions from someone other then me, myself and I.

What is your budget and what features are important to you? If you are looking for a new water-resistant, motorcycle GPS, your best choices are the Zumo 660 or 665 (if you want XM). Bluetooth? Headset compatible? Routing? New? There are great choices in discontinued GPSMap and Streetpilot series. Nuvi automotive GPS units will work if you are willing to work around the weather. Your question is too wide-open, like asking what motorcycle should I buy?

That said, most riders would be pretty happy with a Zumo 550 (discontinued) or Zumo 665. Pretty big coin for either one, but they will do pretty much anything your could ask for.

My wife as the Zumo660, as it was part f her car in disguise, CanAm spyder. I'm using a Nuevi 1490 LMT and work for e like a charme, I got it at Fry's as a factory refurb for $100, instead of a Zumo costing $600.

V

RPK

Just like any other question you would ask on this forum, you will get a variety of answers. There will be issues with any of the products we could name.

Dad and I both run the Garmin Zumo 660. It does exactly what we need it to do, it works great in the truck as well as on the bike. I love mine, I know Dad likes his very much as well. I did lots of research before we bought and for us the Zumo 660 was our best option. It has worked flawlessly in the rain, has never missed a beat, and looks good on the bike.

Nuvi 1450 LMT with lifetime maps and traffic. The GPS goes for $120 on sale and is completely waterproof inside the ram Aqua Box. Been thru many a storm with out any issues.

Functional yet pretty damn ugly.

P1010540-M.jpg

How does one see with all that crap in the way? As a man, you should be able to figure out where yer going......

jes' sayin'......

I don't need XM, just a GPS, waterproof.

I own a Garmin Nuvi 550, but would like to get something new. My maps are from 2010, I know I can pay $60.00 for LifeTime Maps.

I see Garmin made a 350 model, but for $699.00, I think that's little high for me. Again, I just want a map part of GPS, don't use/need weather, XM, MP3, etc.

Thanks Everyone.

Ohh, I think Garmin is crazy for charging so much for motorcycle GPS units. Costco has great GPS for $199.00, I just wish it was waterproof.

If it had Bluetooth, I'd order a Montana tomorrow. But it doesn't, so I'll keep my lieing 2820 till it dies.

Or I through throw it off a cliff.

Edit: PWI. Captain Morgan can't spell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a zumo 665. Ive had good luck with it and I like the xm radio. Do some research on MOTORCYCLE specific gps and you will figuure it out. If you have specifis questions come back to this thread or reply to an existing thread and Im sure we can help you out.

I've had the Zumo 665 for about a year now. Insanely expensive, buy totally worth it to me. Love the XM, MP3, being able to find restaurants &hotels in strange places & call ahead through your cell.

I have run my 660 for 6 years in all kinds of weather. It survived my LT being totaled, and was the only thing I could take off the bike of value. I have dropped it many times and it still does it's thing well. I know they cost a lot of money but now six years old and still going so 100.00 a year so far on the cost to own. I know others run non motorcycle GPS and it is fine. My Karma is not that good so I spent the money. It and Lifetime Maps have worked very well for me but YMMV.

walmart has plastic bags you should look into that
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/148063-gps-mounting/?p=997829

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I like my Garmin Nuvi 780 but it's the only one I've owned. Some nice features:

- SD card slot. Holds music or map files. If someone else has a Garmin with an SD slot we can share files quickly and painlessly.

- audio output jack for earbuds. I typically just glance at the screen but it's nice having audio directions when in urban surroundings.

- if listening to music and directions from the 780, the music stops, then gives directions, then plays music.

- Bluetooth.

- Pick-a-spot directions. Meaning if you decide to detour, zoom in and touch the screen to pick the spot. Then touch "GO". Poof!! Instant directions to there. Also very handy in unfamiliar urban territory.

And a few more that I never use. The downside is that it locks up if you put more than about 800 songs on the card. If yer patient and shop around you can find lifetime updates for $60 or so.

My wife as the Zumo660, as it was part f her car in disguise, CanAm spyder. I'm using a Nuevi 1490 LMT and work for e like a charme, I got it at Fry's as a factory refurb for $100, instead of a Zumo costing $600. V RPK
Hey RPK, Santa is bringing me a 1490 LMT and wants to know how you feed power to yours on the bike. The supplied plug in adaptor is huge and the cord is chunky, so the cubby lid can't be closed when connected, right?

Thanks in advance and a Merry Xmas to you.

I currently run a perfectly functioning Garmin 276C and really like it. But it's not longer supported by Garmin so it's just a matter of time before it's not so useful I suppose.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Montana, 660LM or the new 350LM. I know the montana can do off road tracking and routing but can the other two. I assume they'll do off road but can anyone confirm that? Couldn't tell from the website.

Don't listen to odot he has mutiple peroballities, he introduced you to three of them, Me, Myself, and I.

I do a Garmin Nuvi 780. Has all the stuff I need, Bluetooth, MP3 player, Maps, touch screen, etc. No it's not water proof, but I just throw a Zip-Lock bag over it with a rubber band (ala Fairlaner), works fine. I can alos buy about three of these to one Zumo. I've had mine for three years or so, It's mounted on my steering stem (hehe odot, I said mounted on my steering stem), works great!