Looking to get a new GPS, what do you own?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not trying to steal a thread but I'm in the same boat, that I'm looking for a GPS too. I want bluetooth,waterproof, to be able to load maps from street and trip software, and to be able to listen to music on a SD card. Is there anyway to do this for under 700.00?

.... so the cubby lid can't be closed when connected, right?

Don't close the lid. what I do. I run 2 GPS's when doing multi day trips. Plug a chord with 2 female adaptors and plug the GPS's into these. Leave the lid open. I use to obsess about having the lid close and finally asked myself why.

When I ran one I had carved out part of the tray when the lid closes onto it and could close the lid down on the GPS chord if thin enough. My Nuvi 855 was fits this bill. Not sure if it really matters if the lid is closed when it is raining either.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
This,

51YYWETv09L_SL500_AA300_.jpg

+ Google Maps, and hand written directions have served me well over the years.

The last thing you need when dragging oversize loads is narrow twisty streets or dead ends.

BTDT on the scoot using GPS too many times.

Trusted it last week to get me to Peterborough Ontario.... Let's just say I wasn't a happy kamper.

Me too... love that unit & hope that it doesn't go tits up anytime soon. I don't think there's any of the newer units out there that can compare to it's ability to be customized. & you know what??? Those units may no longer be supported by Garmin but there still crazy expensive!

I currently run a perfectly functioning Garmin 276C and really like it. But it's not longer supported by Garmin so it's just a matter of time before it's not so useful I suppose.

I'm not trying to steal a thread but I'm in the same boat, that I'm looking for a GPS too. I want bluetooth,waterproof, to be able to load maps from street and trip software, and to be able to listen to music on a SD card. Is there anyway to do this for under 700.00?
Yes, buy a Zumo 660 at someplace that sells for less than MSRP. For instance https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-zumo-660.html has it for about $650 with lifetime maps. Might even be able to find it cheaper with a little online searching.

I have the 660 for about 4 years now and it gets daily use on my FJR and has been subjected to lots of rain and still work great. Paired to my Sena SMH10 bluetooth headset and everything gets piped into the helmet. Check www.mishacycles.com for best pricing on the Sena and great service from a fellow FJR rider. Mention this forum for additional savings.

Yes, buy a Zumo 660 at someplace that sells for less than MSRP. For instance https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-zumo-660.html has it for about $650 with lifetime maps. Might even be able to find it cheaper with a little online searching.

I have the 660 for about 4 years now and it gets daily use on my FJR and has been subjected to lots of rain and still work great. Paired to my Sena SMH10 bluetooth headset and everything gets piped into the helmet. Check www.mishacycles.com for best pricing on the Sena and great service from a fellow FJR rider. Mention this forum for additional savings.
But, for $50, you can get the 350 model:

https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-zumo-350lm.html

My wife as the Zumo660, as it was part f her car in disguise, CanAm spyder. I'm using a Nuevi 1490 LMT and work for e like a charme, I got it at Fry's as a factory refurb for $100, instead of a Zumo costing $600. V RPK
Hey RPK, Santa is bringing me a 1490 LMT and wants to know how you feed power to yours on the bike. The supplied plug in adaptor is huge and the cord is chunky, so the cubby lid can't be closed when connected, right?

Thanks in advance and a Merry Xmas to you.
Hey YummYam,

I ended up buying a extra small USB 12v adapter for now. I plan to farkle the OEM Garmin cable up and hook it to my fuse block as an extra circuit. Sure thing with the cable missing you won't get the live feed of traffic, but that's the way I did it.

Good luck

V

RPK

Yup...Search web sites that specialize in GPS sales. I don't remember where we got them, but my brother and I bought two refurbished Zumo 660s for around $500 with awesome warranties, if I remember right.

In my opinion, refurbished is the only way to go. Issues are fixed, and way cheaper. Besides, if you buy a new one and send it in for warranty, they send you a refurbished one anyway.

They come just like new in box units with all the accessories and parts you need to set it up. Just like the new units, they have some glitches, but the last software update was really good. No issues since.

Bah!! Travers the country as our foreskins forefathers did.. A paper map and these..Fer shitsakes Bemeerdons made it to Kanada this way.

heftyBaggies_l.png

I've been using an old Nuvi 265W(w/bluetooth). I don't generally ride in heavy rain but have the baggies handy just in case....

And yes, will tidy up the wiring today!

1226121948.jpg

My wife as the Zumo660, as it was part f her car in disguise, CanAm spyder. I'm using a Nuevi 1490 LMT and work for e like a charme, I got it at Fry's as a factory refurb for $100, instead of a Zumo costing $600. V RPK
Hey RPK, Santa is bringing me a 1490 LMT and wants to know how you feed power to yours on the bike. The supplied plug in adaptor is huge and the cord is chunky, so the cubby lid can't be closed when connected, right?

Thanks in advance and a Merry Xmas to you.
I've got the 1450 which I believe uses the same OEM power cord as 1490. It plugs in fine and "cubby lid" closes without issue on my 2007.

Will the 350 LM zumo work with the street & trip software and let you listen to music?
The 350 LM only works with Basecamp to plan routes. Keep in mind the Bluetooth on it only works to connect to a headset, it does not handle phone calls or music. The unit has no music capability at all.

Why anyone would buy this over the more capable Zumo 660 baffles me. The 660 includes MP3 capability and A2DP stereo bluetooth. Comparison here.

I don't know why someone would want 350 over 660, there must be some good benefits that 350 has over 660.

Will the 350 LM zumo work with the street & trip software and let you listen to music?
The 350 LM only works with Basecamp to plan routes. Keep in mind the Bluetooth on it only works to connect to a headset, it does not handle phone calls or music. The unit has no music capability at all.

Why anyone would buy this over the more capable Zumo 660 baffles me.

+1000

My 660 has worked in temps down to 13 degrees and been through torential downpoors for hours at a time. After several updates to the unit all is well. Garmen did release the 660 to early with some hicups. Does everything I want it to do.

Dave

+1000

My 660 has worked in temps down to 13 degrees and been through torential downpoors for hours at a time. After several updates to the unit all is well. Garmen did release the 660 to early with some hicups. Does everything I want it to do.

Dave
Well, I trust you all, so I will look got a 660. It appears that $650.00 is a price going now.

I don't know why someone would want 350 over 660, there must be some good benefits that 350 has over 660.

Why anyone would buy this over the more capable Zumo 660 baffles me.

It was a rhetorical question. The 350 continues a trend that has been going on for a long time, for Garmin to discontinue the better product and replace it with something less capable or useful.