Looking to get a new GPS, what do you own?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I currently run a perfectly functioning Garmin 276C and really like it. But it's not longer supported by Garmin so it's just a matter of time before it's not so useful I suppose.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Montana, 660LM or the new 350LM. I know the montana can do off road tracking and routing but can the other two. I assume they'll do off road but can anyone confirm that? Couldn't tell from the website.
Still have my Garmin 276c, and after 8 years it still is an excellent option. With that said I bought a Montana 650t in September, it offers tracks, and a host of other features, but asos uses BaseCamp while the 276c uses MapSource. BaseCamp is the new Garmin software as Mapsource is no longer supported, just like the 276c.

There are many ways to skin the GPS cat. The most important question is what features are important to you, and how do you intend to use it.

IMHO the very most important feature for a motorcycle GPS is it must have a means to get the GPS audio directions into your helmet headset. This can be by bluetooth ($$$), cables to some sort of wired intercom ($$) or even just some ear buds plugged directly into the unit ($). Thius requirement rules out many of the GPS units deigned for automotive use.

The second most important feature (to me) is the ability to upload and run routes. Whether it's just heading out on a day ride, attending an organized rally with group rides, or going on a week long vacation ride, I like to have routes mapped out in advance and just follow them. I do not like to just select a destination and let the GPS tell me how to get there, because regardless of whether you select Fastest Time or Shortest Distance these will typically be less interesting roads than the ones you can preselect and put into a planned route.

The next most important feature to me is a bright display that can easily be seen on the bike in direct sunlight. This can be a big problem as on a bike, even with a little display hood, the screens get washed out by the sun very easily.

There are many, many more features and functions that may be more or less important to you personally. A while back I did a full comparision / review of the two most popular motorcycle GPSes that I owned at the time, Garmin's zumo 550 versus the newer zumo 66X series. You should read the details in review and form your own conclusions, but the executive summary for me was that I sold my zumo 660 and bought myself a second zumo 550, as I find that to be a superior unit for my needs. Nothing has changed from that time to alter my analysis. Your final conclusions based on your own requirements may be different.

My wife as the Zumo660, as it was part f her car in disguise, CanAm spyder. I'm using a Nuevi 1490 LMT and work for e like a charme, I got it at Fry's as a factory refurb for $100, instead of a Zumo costing $600. V RPK
Hey RPK, Santa is bringing me a 1490 LMT and wants to know how you feed power to yours on the bike. The supplied plug in adaptor is huge and the cord is chunky, so the cubby lid can't be closed when connected, right?

Thanks in advance and a Merry Xmas to you.
Anybody have an input to the power cord question from Santa?

I have had a Zumo 550 since 2006. I will not leave home without it. The unlimited life time map is great. The digitizer was replaced in 2010, easy task.

What I like about my Zumo is the ability to create a route on the PC and transfer it to the Zumo.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you just want a GPS for the bike, there IS another option besides Garmin. Tom Tom made the Rider and Rider2 which they quit making. I've been running the Rider 2 since 2008. Not the prettiest or highest tech, but I doubt you could find one built as tough as these things. It's like a solid hunk of plastic, and has never failed me. Some great deals on used or refurbished ones on E-Bay. These are completely waterproof and shock-proof. Downside--don't know about map updating anymore. EG's:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TomTom-RIDER-1st-1-Motorcycle-GPS-Navigator-Unit-ZK-Bike-USA-tom-USA-Canada-tr-/181035442193?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item2a268da011

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TomTom-Tom-RIDER-2-2nd-Edition-Motorcycle-GPS-Nav-Set-/130500449336?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item1e626ed438

Tandem 2730's for me. Extremely functional, user friendly, and very affordable. From what people tell me, it's easier to route with than the new stuff. Go figure....

I have had a Zumo 550 for five years and I highly recommend it. It is motorcycle specific, vibration proof, water proof, download routes from PC, on and on. The only problem is that it is discontinued, if a new one is available on the internet they ask $800, and used ones go for $500+. This continued demand for a discontinued model indicates Garmin really got it right.

I am sorry I can't expand, this is my only experience with mc GPS. An iPhone just won't do, I have one.

It would be very difficult for me to pay $500 for discontinued model such as 500 or 660. A new 350 model sells for $200 more.

Another issue is that when you get a used 500 or 660 model, I don't know if you qualify for Life Time Map update .

My wife as the Zumo660, as it was part f her car in disguise, CanAm spyder. I'm using a Nuevi 1490 LMT and work for e like a charme, I got it at Fry's as a factory refurb for $100, instead of a Zumo costing $600. V RPK
Hey RPK, Santa is bringing me a 1490 LMT and wants to know how you feed power to yours on the bike. The supplied plug in adaptor is huge and the cord is chunky, so the cubby lid can't be closed when connected, right?

Thanks in advance and a Merry Xmas to you.
Anybody have an input to the power cord question from Santa?
This is how I will be powering my Garmin 3790 on the bike : https://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-usb-power-cable.html

This is actually the product I purchased : https://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-bare-wire-power-cable-for-nuvi-series-and-zumo-220.html

Got some money for Christmas and I've decided to get GPS for the FJR so I'm going thru this process right now. I've decided to get a tech mount replacement stem nut and put a ram ball on it with a medium extension. I've decided on a Garmin 2595LMT that I just got from Best Buy for $179. Ram mounts has a GPS holder just for that model that will go on top of the extension. It's not waterproof, though, so I think I'll also get their Aquabox for when it might rain. I figure the whole cost for everything will run me about $300. I'll take some pics when I get it all done.

Sandwich Baggie works great, I agree for the rain
smile.png
I would not use a sandwich bag. Pay the $$$ and get a GPS that is designed for a motorcycle. You will not regret it. A quality GPS is similar to an aftermarket suspension on the FJR. Get it and you will not regret it.

I have had a Zumo 550 for five years and I highly recommend it. It is motorcycle specific, vibration proof, water proof, download routes from PC, on and on. The only problem is that it is discontinued, if a new one is available on the internet they ask $800, and used ones go for $500+. This continued demand for a discontinued model indicates Garmin really got it right.

I am sorry I can't expand, this is my only experience with mc GPS. An iPhone just won't do, I have one.
I like my Zumo 550, but I did not like the digitizer crapped out at 3.5 years. Nearly $700 and it gives it up in 3.5 years. Give me a break. My experience with the digitizer is not unusual. I fixed my digitizer by doing some research on the web. The entire affair is documented on my web page.

With digitizer crapping out at 3.5 year the the Zumo 4/5xxx series is not something proof.

Another issue is that when you get a used 500 or 660 model, I don't know if you qualify for Life Time Map update .
You do still qualify for lifetime maps. I've got that on both of my 550's, the last one was bought ~ 6 months ago.

550's can be bought for less if you do your homework. The zumo 350 is a nice unit. It will not pair to a phone and it does not have XM or MP3 audio capabilities, but those are certainly not required features. It does have an audio output jack and Bluetooth output capability to a helmet headset, so it seems like it would be a good choice for those concerned about the "obsolescence" of the 450/550 models.

I like my Zumo 550, but I did not like the digitizer crapped out at 3.5 years. Nearly $700 and it gives it up in 3.5 years. Give me a break. My experience with the digitizer is not unusual. I fixed my digitizer by doing some research on the web. The entire affair is documented on my web page.

With digitizer crapping out at 3.5 year the the Zumo 4/5xxx series is not something proof.

The digitizer replacement is just something I just plan on doing to my zumo 550s every couple of years. It is not difficult or expensive to replace yourself. I've stocked up and have two new digitizers on the shelf (from China), so if one of my units starts to screw up I'm ready to replace it.