• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB-2003 FJR1300 Starter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankenfeejeer

Reaction score
Looking for a good used starter for my 2003 FJR1300 at a reasonable price. I have been having intermittent trouble starting the Franken bike since the reconstruction and have tried replacing the starter solenoid and battery to no avail. I would like to try replacing the starter without the outrageous expense of buying a new starter.

PM if you have something.

Thanks!!

You did check the condition/location of the starter magnets per the forum write up on the subject from last year, right?

Gary

darksider #44

I'd go ahead and just get another battery. Remember to charge it overnight before you install it in said skoot.

Ah yes, the forum to the rescue. There were some pretty good write ups on the subject within the last year, as well as some pictures for tear down... and feel free to contact those who posted up the info directly by PM through the forum messenger. Most of the guys will bend over backwards to help ya out. That's one of the perks of being on this forum. Keep us posted on your progress.

Gary

darksider #44

It seems that I hang out here constantly, I comment very rarely, and don't really like to post up whiney problems. It's just great to read what other guys have dealt with.

44k seems a bit early for a starter, doesn't it?

Thanks!

44k does seem a bit early but you never know........ It's a big enough job that I would most definitely troubleshoot some things to verify it's the starter. If you do need a replacement starter, ebay is your best bet. Some there will want fairly steep prices but I once got one for $50 shipped.

44k does seem a bit early but you never know........ It's a big enough job that I would most definitely troubleshoot some things to verify it's the starter. If you do need a replacement starter, ebay is your best bet. Some there will want fairly steep prices but I once got one for $50 shipped.
$99+$11 seems to be the only choice on ebay. Wondering if someone here has one for less...

But I hear ya on the checking things out first.

As skooter said 44k seems early. Mine is over 120k and I'm going to do it this spring before the snow melts.

If it needs to be done you can send it to me and I 'll fix it up. It's a pain to get to so do the tests to make sure you need a starter.

Noooooooooooo.............it sounds like you have a skoot that needed a battery and the PO just ran it into the ground. Fjr's start up right off the bat. It's a "one" second thing......it should start. If it don't start up right off the bat.....something is amiss.

.....or skooterG is involved.........

bite me....beotch............

If you could get an automotive amp meter or clamp on amp probe you could diagnose your starter issue with one push of the starter button. The auto amp meter goes in series with the battery cable which can be a nuisance, the clamp on probe simply opens up and snaps around the battery wire. Less than 30 amps it is not the starter, more than 60 amps and it almost certainly the starter.

How did Frankinbike come to be in this condition? Did the engine incur any damage?

How about 260 amps!

Yowzers!

I rescued her from a salvage auction. Some sort of front end collision that fubared the front forks and cracked the frame at the head tube. Swapped the frame and the bike has been outstanding... except for this really annoying, intermittent issue.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like it's time to pony up for a starter.

Same question still hangs in the air... anybody got one?

260 amps
dribble.gif
Does your clock reset when it draws this much current? I'm asking because I'm not sure your battery can produce this much peak current. Was this a shunt or clamp on measurement?

Rewinding remains an option. Expect it to be ~$160 but should have a warranty.

260 amps
dribble.gif
Does your clock reset when it draws this much current? I'm asking because I'm not sure your battery can produce this much peak current. Was this a shunt or clamp on measurement?
Rewinding remains an option. Expect it to be ~$160 but should have a warranty.
Yes it does reset.

I'm thinking I'm going to find a used one and install it then rebuild (or have rebuilt) the other one. That way no down time!

Thanks!

Noooooooooooo.............it sounds like you have a skoot that needed a battery and the PO just ran it into the ground. Fjr's start up right off the bat. It's a "one" second thing......it should start. If it don't start up right off the bat.....something is amiss.

.....or skooterG is involved.........

bite me....beotch............
Replaced battery to no avail.

Thanks!

If you buy a used starter consider having a winding company test it for you. Look at the winding company's test fee like an insurance policy. It's not so much the cost of the starter as it is the work to put a bad starter in and then immediately have to replace it again.

If you buy a used starter consider having a winding company test it for you. Look at the winding company's test fee like an insurance policy. It's not so much the cost of the starter as it is the work to put a bad starter in and then immediately have to replace it again.
Are you trying to convince me that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure? If so, I like it!! If not, then I don't get it...