SE Ohio Ramble '14 - Let's get there and back

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extrememarine

Reaction score
Warning – this is a “don’t be a jackass and crash” post. I speak from experience – Annette tells me I’m a jackass everyday…

As we close in on the Ramble weekend, many of us will be dusting off our rides for the first time this season. Many from points south will be well into their riding season. I fall into the first group – it’s just the nature of the beast with living in Michigan.

Whether it’s your first 500 miles of the year, or you’re clicking through 5000 for the season, this discussion is well worth the time spent – Let’s take a step back and think about things for a minute.

I think “The Pace” by Nick Ienatsch is a good place to start. Here’s a link to the full article on Motorcyclistonline.com: The Pace. We gather at these events to share a common passion for the rush of what two wheels on a twisty road does for us. Take a minute, read this article – or re-read it – and think about what it means to you.

This rush that the road brings happens at a different cadence for every single one of us. It can even vary day to day. I have good days, where everything clicks – the bike, tires, road, me – and its heaven. I have days where things aren’t necessarily off, just a tad ‘not on’. I’ve learned to recognized those days and accept them when they happen. It’s a day that I just enjoy other aspects of the ride – and I’m thankful to have it to enjoy. I ask each of you attending to do the same – enjoy every day. I know I do.

It’s been noted that the attendee list has grown this year. Maybe it’s due to the long winter, maybe it’s because there’s a curiosity growing about these flat, straight, and boring roads we keep talking about in southeast Ohio. Although there will be some attrition, we’re still looking at probably the largest gathering I can remember. Keep in mind that the Ramble brings minimal organization – there’s no t-shirts, no formal dinner, no swag, no ride group assignments. With the numbers showing now for attendance, we do need to discuss a few things that might help everyone have a more enjoyable time.

In the past, WheatonFJR has done a truly spectacular job with organizing ride groups, trying to match up riders by pace and experience. That approach depends on each rider being very honest about where the stack up skill wise – it requires a serious ego check to work. Everyone needs to take a hard look in the mirror and assess what pace they are able to run.

Typically, there are three ride group paces – 2-up sight seers (my preferred group), moderate, and spirited. 2up & sightseers typically will run at or below the posted speed limit, limit passing on the double yellow. The moderate group pace will typically stay close to the posted speeds on the straights while running through corners smoothly at or above the posted corner speeds. The “spirited” group typically arrives at rest stop shouting “Ya-effing-hoo” along with the distinct smell of heated sintered brakes filling the air. As a general rule of thumb, pick the group you think you fall into, and then drop one down.

And remember, just because someone is 2-up, don’t make the assumption that they will ride a “stop and smell the roses” pace.

No matter what group you think you fall into, the most important point is to ride your own ride. I’ve been in groups where I was in over my head and had to swallow the lump that says today is not the day. It happens – enjoy the day for what it is, and ride at the pace that allows you to do just that – enjoy the day.

The Pace, Ride your own Ride, and now let’s talk group spacing.

With so many riders attending, we do need to spend some time setting up each days ride; more importantly, some suggestions for the groups. We typically have two loops mapped out. An east loop and a west loop. The east loop uses the playground east and north of Marietta; think east of I-77, north of the river, and south of I-70. The west loop is west of I-77, south of I-70, north of the Ohio border, and east of Columbus.

We usually recommend a 10 minute launch interval for the groups in the morning – faster groups out first, slower out after. This ensures that the groups remain separated on the road, and we avoid having a 20 bike parade stuck behind a hay wagon. The suggestion is going to be that we have half the group run the east loop and half run the west loop on the same day, and flip the second day. Another strategy we can use is having the groups alternate running the loops clockwise vs counterclockwise. We’ll fine tune this once the routes are finalized – look for more discussion around Mid-April on this specific topic.

This gathering has typically been an incident free event; everyone rides there, and rides home. There have been a few ditch surfers here and there. My .02 cents on that is if someone decides to smell the roses before they stop, then that person is not left alone – whether they continue on or decide to return to the hotel. Someone stays with that rider the rest of the day. Often, we jump up after a surfing event and everything feels alright. That’s the adrenaline talking. Sit down, lie back, and let your system collect itself. It might take a few hours for those fractured ribs to start talking to you, but when they do, they do…

So, ride your own ride, enjoy the day, and let’s have a great freaking time!!

Wayne

Well said.

And since I know my status, I may as well request a slot in Group 1 (sightseer/leaf peeper/general novice).

Since this winter was the coldest and snowyest in 25 years I would venture to say that there will be an above average amount of gravel on the roads. Be very careful going into turns where visibility isnt the best.....which is a big portion of those roads!. I had to do a "safe exit" last year when i came to the bottom of a hill with a sharp turn and couldnt get slowed down enough because of the gravel. Wherever rain water travels so will the gravel!! Have a blast but be safe first!

Do many 2ups ride with the spirited group? If conditions allow, we prefer 15-40% faster than corner speeds indicate (50 when marked 35 or 35 when marked 25) and any "safely" traveled speed on straights including >80 sprints. Where should we go to fit in with the rest of the riders?

Thanks for organizing and providing this information!

I can't wait to get my t-shirt! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll the guy at the back of the slow group, with my turn signal on, holding up a group of Harleys.

Good refresher and tips Wayne, thanks :)

My riding posse always includes da' Steamer and Wine Guy. We know each other and our pace differs depending on our mood; available site seeing and conditions. We pretty much always are above the limit, the curves posted (like AllenC mentions) are about 10-25 over. The post by blrfjr got me thinking, we may see additional gravel and fine stones from this past winter. Adjustments may be made accordingly. The abrupt sharp turns over the crest of the hills always has me wondering. I try to have my GPS zoomed in enough to give heads up on these. Not always a safeguard however as the maps are not quite perfected.

BTW- 45 Days Remaining (for the Thurs ride-in guys anyway)

I was leading Jim last year on his VFR1200. It was an EXTREMELY slow ride (he was having vision problems, on a new bike, on twisty roads he's not used to riding on). I don't think we got above the speed limit once on Saturday. I didn't mind be extra cautious on his behalf, as I was very rusty after a long winter lay off myself. He seemed to settle down a bit on Sunday on the ride down to the New River Gorge. With some instructions over the Sena about lane positioning and sight lines, then playing follow the leader, he was picking up the pace noticeably.

I think I have him talked into a TC ARC class this summer.

Thanks for the thread, Wayne. I think we can all use the reminder.

This has been the longest PMS winter in a very long time for many of us northerners. The few times I have been able to get out this winter, between wet and sandy roads and frost heaves, the roads have been so bad there was no need at all to have a Radar Detector, if you catch my drift.

I suspect the roads will not have been ravaged quite as badly in SE Ohio, and it may be easier to bite off too much too soon. Completing the ride is far more important than a few seconds of adrenaline boost.

I'll the guy at the back of the slow group, with my turn signal on, holding up a group of Harleys.
Dammit Geek, leaving the turn signal on is my job. I have not booked a room yet and I'm a little scared of the larger group ride thing since I'm not comfortable in that setting. If I do make it I'll either be riding solo doing my own thing during the day and hook up with one or two other riders max.

Dammit Geek, leaving the turn signal on is my job. I have not booked a room yet and I'm a little scared of the larger group ride thing since I'm not comfortable in that setting. If I do make it I'll either be riding solo doing my own thing during the day and hook up with one or two other riders max.
Don't worry, this will not be a cluster ****. Have you no faith in extrememarine's ability to get people to pay attention. Besides, you ride at the front...so in a sense, you are alone.

Wayne, well said. Coming from CA and now living in PA, I have started riding this spring and was surprised at the loss of touch from the extended winter and Lyme's last summer. I'm dialing it way back until the roads are clean, and I'm still not used to the shorter line-of-sights here. I may well be an addition to your group riding the boring, flat, straight roads of Ohio this year.

As I have found myself unemployed since late January, I could well have time assuming a job does not jump up and bite me before then. The only thing I'd add to your comments is to also be careful on the way home. I seem to recall O-Face having a tramatic exit from last year's ride.

Anyone need a roomate?

Wayne, well said. Coming from CA and now living in PA, I have started riding this spring and was surprised at the loss of touch from the extended winter and Lyme's last summer. I'm dialing it way back until the roads are clean, and I'm still not used to the shorter line-of-sights here. I may well be an addition to your group riding the boring, flat, straight roads of Ohio this year.
As I have found myself unemployed since late January, I could well have time assuming a job does not jump up and bite me before then. The only thing I'd add to your comments is to also be careful on the way home. I seem to recall O-Face having a tramatic exit from last year's ride.

Anyone need a roomate?
If my wife does not attend, I'll have room.

If Wheaton is in front of you and you have an issue, you're still alone...
A guy makes one small mistake...
biggrin.png

I learned from Wayne on that ride...never let someone ride alone after a spill.

...and never let me lead.

oops.

smile.png

Edit: I do check my six at all turns...and earlier than that sometimes.

I'll be the first to admit that my first ramble I attended was a huge wakeup call. I have organized rides in the past, usually with the Nighthawk-Forums.com. Those guys are on bikes 1/2 the size of the FJR. Some are very spirited, many others are in their first seasons of riding. So I thought I was in the middle range as far as what group. I was wrong.

Now everyone is on the same playing field as far as machine. I couldn't keep up, I wasn't comfortable. While I had the voice in my head saying ride your own ride over and over, the other voice was saying the rest of the guys in your group are way ahead of you. Found myself really trying to make up ground on the straight aways, making the entry into the twisties all that more hairy. Unfortunately and fortunately it took a big scare to really put me in check. Unfortunately because I had the scare. Fortunately because something worse would have happened.

Wised up and dropped back to the last group. (Who would have thought that was the group that got pulled over for speeding?) But even though that pace was much more suited to my riding style, I was still shaken for the rest of the day.

If anything, this is a reminder for me. Maybe somebody else is trying figure out what group they should be in. I'll be sitting at the back of the bus next time around.