Best Portable Audio System for 2-Up Riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the best solution regardless of money?

• J&M Integratr IV Motorcycle Intercom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Interphone Bluetooth Intercom

• Scala Rider TeamSet Review - Albrecht Rider - Midland Bluetooth Intercom

• Nady Motorcycle Intercoms

• Autocom Active-PLUS Motorcycle Intercom

• BackChat Vixen Motorcycle Intercom

• Baehr Ultima XL Intercom

• Chatterbox GMRS-X1 Bluetooth

• StarCom1 from Bike Effects

• Total voters

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
These are some of the newest systems on the market. I like the idea of a Bluetooth unit but I do not want it to be at the expense of sound quality. Some of you may own one of these systems and if you do would you please vote on the system you wish you would have bought and not what you own or owned. Money is always going to be a factor but I am more concerned with what the best quality unit would be regardless of cost. I will want a unit that will allow my wife and me to communicate with one another riding 2-up and with other riders when I am on group rides with my friends. I also must have the ability to make phone calls, Music is less important to me but I would like to add a GPS easily to the unit at some point. iPod integration would be nice but is not driving my decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it is worth, there is only ONE microprocessor controlled intercom on the market and it missed your list. I am now using it and it works well....very well. It has some extra "two-up" features as well.

Starcom Digital at Bike Effects

See the link below for forum discount information.

It was added to the list, thanks. :eek: I usually do a lot of reading on Web Bike World and I did not see any reviews on this unit so I guess that is why I left in off? I will need to do some reading to see if it has Bluetooth? I wish there was a way to test the product in your store to see how it works in real world tests on my bike? This is a lot of money and I would like ot do this right the first time.

I didn't vote as I've never found anything I like.

I've had a few different Nady units -- and i would not be able to recommend them.

Bike Effects set me up with a Starcom system linked with a Garmin Zumo (with bluetooth capability). Very impressive system.

Bike Effects set me up with a Starcom system linked with a Garmin Zumo (with bluetooth capability). Very impressive system.
How is the sound quality on a scale of 1-10? I went to their site and their system look s very impressive. Did you do the install or have someone do it. How long did it take and would you do it all over again?

It was added to the list, thanks. :eek: I usually do a lot of reading on Web Bike World and I did not see any reviews on this unit so I guess that is why I left in off? I will need to do some reading to see if it has Bluetooth? I wish there was a way to test the product in your store to see how it works in real world tests on my bike? This is a lot of money and I would like ot do this right the first time.
A Bluetooth adapter is not yet available but it is coming. Sorry, but I have no details.

A demo on my bike could be arranged, but it is a long way to go to do that. I am in Napa (Norcal). If you would like to ask some questions, give me a call at 707-224-9262.

I just picked up the Scala Rider Teamset and am trying it out. As a bluetooth the cell phone headphone, it works great. The jury is still out on the teamset portion. I have to move it a little bit on my wifes helmet. First ride out with it on Friday night was an adventure, but that is because I did the usuall guy thing and didn't read all the instructions for that part of it. I will post more once I have tried it awhile longer.

The FJR I recently purchased had the Autocom Active PLUS unit already installed. I did an 1800 mile ride last week and enjoyed being able to hear my MP3 player crisp and clear. The music automatically muted when the phone would ring and it was on auto answer. I had phone conversations at a variety of speeds and each time the caller could not tell I was moving. I think the big windscreen on the FJR really helps in this regard. There is no way this would be as clear on my Tuono. The phone plugs in easily using the headphone jack. I placed my phone and my MP3 player in my tank bag with the wires nicely coming up from the front of the seat next to the tank.

Saturday and Sunday I took my girlfriend for a little 500+ mile ride. We were able to have conversation throughout the ride and it was great being able to tell her when I was going to accelerate or to get ready for a tight turn. We had no problems at any speed. We both enjoyed the music and it really enhanced the trip.

I've not used any other communication systems on my other bikes, so I have nmothing to compare the Autocom system to. But I can say it does what it is advertised to do.

These are some of the newest systems on the market. I like the idea of a Bluetooth unit but I do not want it to be at the expense of sound quality. Some of you may own one of these systems and if you do would you please vote on the system you wish you would have bought and not what you own or owned. Money is always going to be a factor but I am more concerned with what the best quality unit would be regardless of cost. I will want a unit that will allow my wife and me to communicate with one another riding 2-up and with other riders when I am on group rides with my friends. I also must have the ability to make phone calls, Music is less important to me but I would like to add a GPS easily to the unit at some point. iPod integration would be nice but is not driving my decision.
That digital system looks nice. Glad I haven't bought the Advance yet...

we have been using the Scala Rider Teamset for about a month now and it works very well for the price.

Not stereo quality on the earphones but very good and audio works great otherwise. I paid $175 delivered from E-bay.

Only problem I have now is my wife wants to be chattering with me all the time while riding: "honey, did you see that cow? Did you see how they decorated that house? Did you see their landscaping?, yada, yada, yada".

I knew I should have bought the deluxe unit - the one where I can talk to the wife but she can't talk to me!!

we have been using the Scala Rider Teamset for about a month now and it works very well for the price.
Not stereo quality on the earphones but very good and audio works great otherwise. I paid $175 delivered from E-bay.

Only problem I have now is my wife wants to be chattering with me all the time while riding: "honey, did you see that cow? Did you see how they decorated that house? Did you see their landscaping?, yada, yada, yada".

I knew I should have bought the deluxe unit - the one where I can talk to the wife but she can't talk to me!!
But you don't want her to tell you in stereo "NOT TO NIGHT" :yahoo: :yahoo: ! Better to listen!

Best Regards,

Shane

For the money, I don't think you can beat tbe starcom. I have mine configured so that I can hear my radar detector, my personal radio, my cell (which also has 285 songs on it.) my frs/gmrs radio and my wife. To me, one of the biggest advantages of the starcom has been the customer service that dealing with Bike Effects has provided. At startup, I had a few problems and Jeff patiently helped me through them.

-GSE-

Only problem I have now is my wife wants to be chattering with me all the time while riding
I have the Scala rider bluetooth came with the TomTom Rider GPS. Works great for that and the occasional phone call. I haven't gotten the passenger unit for just that reason !! I LIKE not hearing the passenger! :headphone: I don't need her screming "SLOW DOWN" in the middle of a curve and end up going over the high side! :wacko:

Guess I am just too old school.I have always used Nady but there is so much on the market.The configuring would probably require a degree in systems engineering.Too much for this old gray head to handle.

I have a system that isn't on this list. It's the MotoComm ST-1.

https://www.sporttour.com/motorcycle_access...MotoCommST1.htm

I bought mine from Glen at sporttour.com. I actually needed two full systems, one for my bike and one for my son's, so the price was clearly important. For the price ($159 ea) it is a very complete and capable set-up. Unlike the others, it comes complete with everything you need to get started. The only additional expense would be FRS radios if you want to go bike to bike and don't already own a pair. If you do own some the adapter cables are already in the ST-1 kit.

The only thing I dislike is that currently the audio is only mono on the mp3 input. But in emails from the manufacturer they say they will soon have something called an aux-2 connector that will allow stereo sound, and also will allow use of earbuds in place of the helmet speakers.

I think it's worth considering

I would be interested to hear comments about the audio effectiveness of the different headsets if you are wearing earplugs. I tried a "cheap" Motorola Bluetooth helmet headset setup, but found the audio essentially inaudible when wearing earplugs.

Terry

For what it is worth, there is only ONE microprocessor controlled intercom on the market and it missed your list. I am now using it and it works well....very well. It has some extra "two-up" features as well.
Starcom Digital at Bike Effects

See the link below for forum discount information.
Is there a remote volume control for this unit?