DIY Seat Reupholstering

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teerex51

The Italian Scallion
Reaction score
Once upon a time, in a forum far far away there was an outstanding report on how to redo your FJR stock seat with gel cushions. It had a description and some good pics, too.

Would ya believe it? I can't seem to find it any more... :D

Did any of you save that post? Would you part with it in return for a cold beer in the Milan area?

Thanks

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
teerex51,

I can't come up with the post you refer to but I can relate what I had done to my seat:

I found a gell pad on the internet for about $75 that was 3/4" thick & sized larger than my seat. I took it to the local boat & custom car upholsterer.

He cut the stock foam (flat cut) down to within an inch of the base & carved a pocket to accept the gel pad all the way to the base. He shaved the foam off at the front of the saddle to narrow the seat for my legs when standing. The rear of the seat is tapered up to suit the upholstery.

1/4" cloth covered foam was used to recover the seat before he reattached the stock upholstery.

The ride is comfortable and reaching the ground is priceless.

dobias :glare:

There's a DIY seat mod here:https://www.docthrock.com/FJR1300.shtml#Seat_Mod No gel pad however.

teerex51,

I think you are refering to a post by TRININBOB. He did a seat with medical Gel pad, that he put into the regular foam of the stock seat.

I can't find it either, might have been on the other board, PM him on this board and I am sure he still has the pics, or maybe he will see this post and repost it.

Hope this helps,

Dana

Thanks for the feedback guys. :eek:k:

And, Dana, you're right...now I recall it was Trinibob. I'll get in touch with him.

Stef

Hey, Stef, did you find the info? If so, could you share? I would be interested in this too.

Ok i am the one that re UPHOLSTERED and restuffed his fjr seat.That post and picks are long gone but if you have an electric knife and a staple puller and a staple gun you can do this farkel.

https://www.jpcycles.com/productdetail.aspx...el%20seat%20pad

this is whare you start if i can find the picks i will repost the whole build.
Thanks Trinibob,

I've got everything but the electric knife....but I'm gonna get me one ASAP

Stef

Don't have a price but another company that will do the same proceedure including backrests is Saddlemen. You can also buy an insert from them and do it yourself. Click on "saddlegel" to check out the insert. PM. <><

Clicky

Painman,

Thanks for the info. I have got my gel inserts from Saddlemen and I'm now almost ready to finish the job.

Rhulcher,

I'd missed that report from fjr1300.info and that's a heck of a job they've done. Me, I only want to put in gel pads. Custom-shaping the seat is way beyond my abilities, I guess :D .

I have just a final question for Trinibob and I'm ready to re-cover the seats and run a post here with the pictures I took during the process.

Trinibob, I remember you covered the gel pads with a thin layer of harder foam. Did you actually cover the whole seat or was this extra layer shaped like the gel pads and glued on top of them only? (Basically flush with the original seat foam).

Thanks

Stef

teerex51,

I'm not Trinibob but I slept at a Holiday Inn last night!

The professional that did my seat covered the whole seat with a cloth layered 1/4 inch soft foam.

You can't even think of gluing to the gel pad. That's why the gell pad must be held within a pocket cut out of the existing foam rubber.

Roger that, Dobias & thanks :D

I've just finished covering the seat with an expanded PVC mesh, guaranteed not to crumble like foam eventually might.

It's generally used as an anti-slip mat on dashboards etc..

ANTI-SLIP.jpg

Pictures of the work will follow soon.

Stef

Teerex51, anxious to see how the seat turns out. This is what I want to do eventually to my 06. Could save some dollars going this route and I really like the Saddlemen seat with backrest I bought from them a few years ago for the Softtail HD. It took a few miles to break in but when it does it is conformed to your own posterior. Firm but eliminated any hot spots. Happy motoring. PM. <><

Allright! Here goes. B)

Based on a very inspirational post placed by Trinibob on the old board last year, I’ve described my experience in inserting a gel pad in the stock seat. This is not exactly Trinibob’s “recipe” but it seems to have worked for me.

You’ll need scissors, a good screwdriver with a fine tip or a staple puller, an electric knife, some neoprene-type glue, a stapler with stainless staples beside – obviously – your gel pad and a fabric-backed ¼ inch foam sheet or an expanded PVC mesh (this was my choice) to wrap over the gel insert.

Punti.JPG

Start with pulling all staples carefully from the bottom of your seat pan, avoiding to rip the seat upholstery.

Taglia.JPG

Place your gel pad on top of the bare foam seat and trace its contour with a marker.

I’ve used a sharp box-cutter to cut all around the perimeter to a depth of ½ inch to help the electric knife’s progress in the next step.

Slice.JPG

The electric knife should cut the foam all the way down to the seat pan. When you hear the dull sound of the blades vibrating against the hard plastic bottom, you’ll know you have cut through the foam block.

Now grab both sides of the block and gently remove it. It should come out cleanly as it’s not really stuck to the bottom.

Rimuovi.JPG

Now carve a slice off the top of the block as thick as the gel pad you’re going to insert. You’ll see I have NOT done a surgical job :D , but any uneven bit will not make any difference once you lay the gel pad on top of it.

Scava.JPG

To be Continued

Cont'd

Now glue all around the trimmed foam block and put it back into place.

rimetti.JPG

Incollato.JPG

You can now lay the gel pad on top of it.

presenta.JPG

Next, I’ve stretched the PVC mesh across the gel pad and secured it on the seat bottom with the stapler.

Mat.JPG

Matfix.JPG

After trimming off the excess PVC mesh, I’ve finally reupholstered the seat with the original rubberized fabric.

Staple.JPG

Upholster.JPG

Have fun, it's an easy job.... :p and it should be easy on your butt, too B)

Stef

teerex51,

You haven't said how you like the ride. Have you noticed any difference?

+1
Dang, I was hoping you wouldn't ask the question... :rolleyes: I'm still waiting on the fairing parts from the body shop and I can't ride the bike yet.

That's why I'm restuffing seats, baking cakes etc. :blink: fer chrissakes... :eek:

(I should be getting the parts early next week and I'll keep you posted on the first impressions...)

Stef