Your custom saddle: Leather or Vinyl?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zip

Reaction score
About to order my Russell seat. Leather is compelling, but vinyl sounds more durable and water-resistent.

Any experienced users out there with a strong preference? I'm sure it doesn't matter whether your saddle is a Russell or otherwise.

Does leather provide additional comfort in some way?

Thanks!

Barry

I got vinyl and wish I had got the leather. I seem to have a sweating issue with the vinyl. I've put an Alaska Leather sheepskin on the seat and it helps a bunch with air circulation. Still, if I had it to do again, I'd get leather.

I have a leather Corbin Gunfighter on my FJ1200.. One night it sat outside a motel in N. Conway, NH, in the pouring rain[which it always seems to do there]. Next day after an hour or so in the saddle I noticed that my arse was soaked- the rain saturated the leather and the underlying foam and it stayed wet for days...no more leather for me..

I have vinyl and I am very happy with it. It doesn't look as nice as leather, but it doesn't absorb water, I don't have to cover it when I park outside, and there is no maintenance.

I have a Russell in all leather on my FJR. Just ordered another all leather one for my GS.

For the extra $$ leather is the way to go.

Leather without question. And Lexol is your friend; once a week for the first 1000 miles, once a month thereafter. You'll never have to worry about the seat absorbing water (one thing that leather does that vinyl doesn't is swell when it gets wet meaning in effect that it seals the holes where it's been stitched).

Here are the rules i followed... Answer these questions:

Does your bike get left uncovered when parked in the rain? Do you hate conditioning your leather to keep it suple and water resistant?--- If your answer is YES to these, Get the Vinyl.

If you live in a dry climate, Get the leather.

YMMV

;)

(I have a BMS in Vinyl and very happy with it) :good:

I bought my Russell off another Forum member.

It's velour.

I wasn't sure if I was gonna like it, but I really do like it! The velour does not get hot after sitting in the sun all day at work, and it's kinda grippy, which helps keep Mrs. BG from sliding in to me when I grab the brakes hard.

After riding the Dragon at EOM we rode in some heavy rain. I didn't put the rain cover on the seat right away, so while the velour did get a bit wet, the foam did not get wet and the seat was just fine. And my riding pants are waterproof, so no wet-azz for me.

I've got the leather, and love it. I don't like the constant maintainace, as others have said. Rich at Rich's seats said leather will soak through but will dry completly, vynl will trap water inside, fwiw.

Well, I got vinyl 'cause, when I ride, I don't want to worry about the seat getting wet or sitting in the sun or cracking or fading.

I did a ride-in appointment for my Russell, so I got to chat with them about the pros and cons. (I did a pretty thorough survey on the subject myself, but I was still pretty much undecided when I arrived at the factory.)

I ended up going with vinyl with the leather inserts. I was leaning towards leather because I wanted the breathability, but I've always had vinyl seats and never had any trouble with them. Russell recommended using the vinyl on the sides because it holds up better to all the constant accordian kind of squishing, and using the leather on the seat since it is not subject to the same kind of squishing as the sides and gives you breathability where it counts.

I do find that the seat part requires more maintenance than I'm used to, but it has made a world of difference riding in the heat. If I had it to do again, I would do it the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went leather on my Russell. It was worth the extra price. It's cooler and softer. I've never found it to be a problem getting wet unless you live in year round high RH. then it may not dry as fast. A little rain or a good trip to the wash rack won't hurt it a bit. I'd only go vinyl if I was 1, extremely lazy about bike care, or 2, forced to park the bike outside and uncovered where it rains alot. in both cases, shame on you for neglecting the bike.

I'm still a bit confused about the guys commenting on the 'extra care'.... with all the fluid changing and farkling most FJR owners do to thier bikes I can't see how this is such a pain. Conditioning leather is just as easy as a freaking oil change and likely faster. Get a rag and your choice of product then squirt a bit and rub it in. Repeat in a few weeks or months. I condition my gloves, boots and seat about 6 times a year.

Rich at Rich's Custom Seats told me leather is the only way to go. He said vinyl has trouble drying after it gets wet and the material underneath breaks down faster

I had a Corbin that was vinyl with the leather inserts. Maintenance was easy and it was alot cooler than the stock viny. That's what I'm going with on my Russell. The gal I talked at Russell said that their black vinyl will match the leather. I didn't want a two tone saddle.

I have one of the Meyer Bro's leather seats and like it. I live up here in the Pacific North Wet and I always park my bike with the cover on it "shine or rainshine". I don't grease it with the bee's wax as often as I should so it has a little patina with it. I also have the stock seats so this time of year I run them more often than not for ever day stuff.

One thing I just noticed the last time out, on the stock seat was it's hard to move around on. You know wiggle your butt or slid a little ways off for a corner. So I'm glad that I don't have the weave on my travelen saddle.