Your custom saddle: Leather or Vinyl?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing but leather for my tough old ass. Feels silky smoth. Feels more...ummm...natural when warm. Almost as waterproof as vinyl if you take time to treat it once or twice each season.

I currently own three saddles (horse saddles) that are older than me. They have seen a lot of work, a lot of rain, a lot of dust, a lot of horse sweat, and just about whatever else you can think of being strapped on a horse and then stored in a barn. They get conditioned when I get around to it, sometimes less than once a year; and they are still going strong. One of them is my favorite roping saddle. I'm not real sure about MC seats, but I don't have anything covered in vinyl that has lasted as long or worked as hard as those saddles.

[SIZE=8pt]Rubber.[/SIZE]

lmao

I chose the vinyl b/c it stated on their website that it was the most durable/weather resistant material they offer. When it comes to the FJR I tend to lean more towards functionality/comfort than looks (I bought the bike to do some traveling on) which is why I chose to get a russell in the first place. Not the prettiest seat, but from what I understand, is the best! Bar-none...

I've got a Rick Mayers and its leather. It 'breathes' better I think than vinyl would and I believe that it stretches or conforms better to the rider over time, contributing to the 'custom' fit attributes of an aftermarket saddle. Most of the time I wear riding pants, waterproof or the mesh ones so texture isn't a big factor but the degree of slipperyness seems about right for whatever pants I wear, even days when I just have jeans on.

As far as maintenance goes, I wipe it down with some Skidmore's leather cream a few times a year. Takes about 3 minutes. Its 4 - 5 years old now and still looks pretty good. I rode 9100+ miles in 24 days this September and never had any seat complaints so I'm pretty happy with the thing. Maybe vinyl would have been just as good, but I'm sticking with leather if I ever buy another seat.

Leather absolutely. Breathes where vinyl doesn't. With proper waterproffing treatment and care leather is not a problem.

Thanks for the guidance, all. Consensus suggested all leather and I know I can take care of it properly. Just ordered a Russell solo all leather with the square pattern, as most of the gallery images show.

Guess production is out beyond December, so probably won't get to ride it until after the meanest weather, but really looking forward to it!

Thanks again... and see you riding!

About to order my Russell seat. Leather is compelling, but vinyl sounds more durable and water-resistent.
Same question I asked when I was ordering my Bill Mayer seat. My decision was made when a forum member said that it was a PITA to protect and care for the leather. I know I have enough trouble washing my bike every ten years, so I knew I would not care for the leather seat. I also did not want any perferated vinyl since water would get into the padding. My vinyl is plenty comfy.

I'm going to chime in here with leather.

The 20 some odd years I had my Ascot it had several vinyl seats. I commute with my bikes. They sit outside all day 5 days a week. The vinyl seems to get sun damaged quickly if you don't use a cover. When sun damaged the vinyl gets stiff to the point of cracking. If a seam is a bit taut it will fail early. My last custom Corbin Gunfighter failed early at it's seams.

My FJR has a Bill Mayer leather seat. It's nearly 2 years old now. I've treated it maybe 7 times with Leather Amore. It's the conditioner recommended by Bill. I keep it on the side stand when it rains, that way the water does not pool in the saddle. I don't mind the bike getting wet, it should be waterproof. I want to find out if it's not - locally, not 500 miles away from home.

If you have the money, and don't mind rubbing conditioner into it several times a year, you can't go wrong with leather.

Brodie

I would go for leather, even if it gets wet it will dry out and it's not that hard to treat you seat 2-4x a year. also I never seen a cow with a Gortex suit in the fields

I've had my Rick Mayer for almost 4 years now and am still happy I picked leather. Biggest benefit is no monkey butt since the day I put the saddles on the bike. They look great and are easy to care for. If I ever buy another saddle it'll be leather too.

Leather Bill Mayer saddle. The leather requires more attention, but it's durable. Looks nicer than the vinyl too. I treat it about once per month with a concoction recommended by the saddle maker. Nothing more complicated than a full rub down and coating of the leather followed by a quick buff.

FJRReady-1.jpg

As the silver portion is colored leather, the "color" will rub off in high use areas. One location is directly over the stitiching bumps that are in constant contact with rough clothing like denim or mesh nylon. You have to get close to see it, but it's there.

So far, so good.

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a ride-in appointment with the fine folks at Russell in September after having ridden down from Spokane. I was fully prepared to have both halves of the seat done in full leather (cost be damned!).

The folks talked me out of full leather, explaining that the Feej's seat flexes quite a bit in the area where the wing extensions flow into the narrower area at the tank. Over time, the constant flexing tends to cause wear and possible cracking in that area, so they strongly recommended leather inserts for the seating portion, with matching supported vinyl for the sides and trim.

I am happy that I made that choice... the vinyl they use is almost indistinguishable from the leather. It is a very close match, and according to them, does away with the wear and cracking issue. I figured they know better than anyone else what will work best over the long haul. It's a rare vendor who will sell a customer on the less expensive alternative... most would pocket the money and run to the bank.

2,000 miles later, I'm convinced the upgrade to the DayLong saddle was the best investment I've made since buying the bike!

Either choice you make, I'm confident you'll LOVE the seat.

Don

Get the Leather, then just ride one a month nekkid and condition it with your own bodily fluids!

My order is for an all leather dual, after the folks at Russell told me with a little care, and a cover for down pour conditions, the leather will last as long or longer than the vinyl.

Get the Leather, then just ride one a month nekkid and condition it with your own bodily fluids!
I'm pretty sure that's the most disgusting thing I have seen yet on this forum; and I have been here a couple of years. Bust and that jackass RadioHowie would be proud. Keep it up!!