What do you carry (tools...etc) when you ride?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icedog75

Reaction score
I figured I'd ask this in a general forum.

When I picked my bike up I drove from Atlanta back to Miami with the best wishes of the previous owner, a quart of oil, 2 oil filters and little else and never gave it much of a thought. I won't ride my bicycle 10 miles without a spare tube, a patch kit, a CO2 inflator and a pump.

What I'm curious about is thots on what constitutes a "reasonable" level of tools, accessories (other than a cell phone and your AAA membership-with the motorcyle towing option) we should be carrying for out daily commutes/weekend rides? Keep in mind 95% of my riding is done without luggage.

Tks.

SA45 XD; CCW permit; DL; ATM card; disc lock; sunglasses; earplugs; AA batteries; cellphone;gps- I'm good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Full metric hex key set, full metric socket set, both kinds of tire patches, can of Fix 'o Flat, blue loctite (only ever needed it for a friends BMW), screwdrivers, two flashlights, electrical tape, duct tape, towel, sheet of thick polyethelene, razor blades, diagonals, linesman's pliers, there's more I just can't think of it all right now. Oh yeah, foot air pump, extra headlight bulbs, turnsignal bulbs, & more...

Off the top of my head.

A set of allen wrenches, 2 screw drivers, sun screen, water, energy bars, fuses, flash light, correct size socket with hex for both front and rear wheel removal, a way to fix a puncture, 12volt pump for unlimited air, towing coverage, credit card and cell phone.

Not much else can be done at the side of the road.

I'm not sure how much more space there is under the 06 seats compared to earlier models, but still under my seats (not unpacked them from my trip to the Dragon) are:

A complete metric socket set, with stubby ratchet, universal and extentions. Multi bit screwdriver, electrical tape, razor b;ade, vice grips, needle nose pliers and a large pair of hemostats. A complete set of allens, and a complete set of ratcheting combination wrenchs, a few pairs of rubber gloves, some hand cleaner, a few shop towels and a few flannel cloths. A magnetic base flexshaft flashlight, 8 feet of 16 gauge strand wire, AND the stock Yamie tool kit.

I have been meaning to remove some of this stuff, but since it all fits and doesn't use up actual luggage space, I will likely leave it all in there.

I never go on any trip without my cell phone and credit cards, these fit in pockets or the "glove box"..

KM

Iron Butt Archive of Wisdom Tip #21 + tire kit, compressor, and alternate air source.
Your packing all that while riding? No wonder your bike felt faster to you the other day. :eek:

You expecting an engine tear down at the side of the road any time soon? :D

Oh I forgot to add to above - extensive first aid kit.
Well....it might not be quite that extensive, but what I could fit into a 4"x4"x12" Saddlemen bag....and the first aid kit like you mentioned.

Please don't ask any questions until you've completely searched through and read the other 158,179 posts that are already here.

Fukkin noobs...

hysterical.gif

I haven't found room for a body bag...but, when I do...oh, baby. I'm goin to town.

C'mon, Odot...admit it...we all know you have 'Trojan six pack' in your arsenal.... B)

as for myself:

1/4" drive metric socket set w/extensions, (3)open end wrenches, crescent wrench, multi-bit screwdriver, extra-small reg. bit & phillips head screwdrivers, needle nose pliers, regular pliers, roll of Scotch 33 electrical tape, wire cutters/crimpers, spare fuses, (including 2 main fuses), posi-lock wire connectors, hex wrench set, gerber tool, flashlight (regular, and a tiny one with a 'gooseneck lamp' on it), fold-up paper funnels, oil filter, zip ties in large & small, small roll of duct tape, tire plug kit, compact air compressor, some paper towels, various first-aid items for scrapes/cuts, laminated emergency contact ID card (I carry that on my person) business cards of various cycle-rescue services & bikes dealers, AMA Motow card...that's about it, just off the top of my head....oh, don't forget a small can of Plexus & pocketful of foil-sealed visor wipes...

The tools themselves/fuses/etc fit in a Roadgear tool roll; the bulky stuff (oil filter, tape, flashlight, plexus, air compressor) is separate..it all occupies the 'floor' of a Givi V-46. I still have room in it for a jacket liner, compact bike cover (assuming its an overnight trip)..

The kitchen sink goes on the pillion....

Oh those of little FJR faith.....1st aid kit, safety plyers & wire, complete tire repair/patch kit with 4 45mil CO2 capsules, credit cards & phone....(if it breaks....ama or caa tow)....& the FJR assistance directory (that is where the tools come in).....unless you go down or do zero maintance, these bikes are really pretty bulletproof....you shouldn't need anything else....for your friends that aren't as smart as you & don't ride one?....oh well, too bad so sad.... :p ......for them......(they could always borrow your cell phone....to call for a lift :lol: )

My blackberry soes I can get on the forum anytime I need assistance! :clapping:

Oh, and the normal tools everyone else has so they can tell me how to use them :D !!!

Well, in addition to pages 1 thru 29 of thr Craftman's tool catalog......I also carry a 40 ft length of parachute shroud as a tow strap.

It rolls into a flat coil about 6 inches in diameter, fits under the seat . I use it , when needed , to get me or a buddy's bike off the road to some place safer, warmer or dryer.

Ghost

Please don't ask any questions until you've completely searched through and read the other 158,179 posts that are already here.

Fukkin noobs...

Oooooh....I've been dissed....sorry the topic didn't live up to your standards.

Tks to those who did reply in the spirit of the question.

I took the advise of an LD rider that was a friend of my dad. Charlie had made his first coast to coast in 1938. "Have a tool for every fastener on your bike, and a way to fix and air your own tires".

One time I ended up changing rod bearings on my Moto Guzzi Eldorado in a dirt parking lot in La Pas Mexico 30 years ago cuz I had the tools.I was able to continue on and put another 15K on the clock before got back to Alaska.