Tools on the FJR: What additional ones do you carry?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a good thread, I've been able to glean a few items from it.

Just a note concerning a full set of fuses...

At least on the 2nd Gen. bikes, Yamaha has a full set of 'Reserve" fuses in one of the bike's two on board fuse panels. If you are stranded on the side of the road after having fixed the fault, this resource is available in case your tool kit isn't as complete.

When farkling, make it a point to standardize the farkle fuses the same 'mini' fuse type that Yamaha uses. That way your collection will fit it all. You may be able to borrow a fuse from one secondary item to cover another primary system one.

Kind of like standardizing on the AA battery when choosing a battery camping item or battery shaver or LED whatnot.

Brodie

smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Very important: Remove spare clips and bullets from your shaving kit before you go through airport metal detectors.

A small Glock 27 with one or two extra magazines. Maybe not a tool for you, but definately a tool for me. I may get lost or stranded, but with a flame source, a knife and my little buddy, I'm gonna eat but not get eaten. I'm not a big Glock fan, but if it gets dropped, wet, dirty, scratched, run over, whatever, I don't care; and its easy to pack.

Very important: Remove spare clips and bullets from your shaving kit before you go through airport metal detectors.

A small Glock 27 with one or two extra magazines. Maybe not a tool for you, but definately a tool for me. I may get lost or stranded, but with a flame source, a knife and my little buddy, I'm gonna eat but not get eaten. I'm not a big Glock fan, but if it gets dropped, wet, dirty, scratched, run over, whatever, I don't care; and its easy to pack.
Clips go in your hair, not in your gun...Magazines go in your gun, not in your shaving kit while boarding a plane. That is BAD juju!!
weirdsmiley.gif

Maybe overkill, but my toolkit contains the proper size wrenches to remove front and rear wheels. You never know....

I take the proper "allen headed socket" for the axle. Other than that, a credit card and a way to look for (and get to) the nearest service.

Roadside assistance card mentioned early on. Just an FYI, If your card is from AAA make sure your level of coverage includes motorcycles.

I had level Plus. Found out for another $15 a year I could upgrade to include mc's.

We always used those terms interchangeably.

A cautionary tale: On long motorcycle rides, I carry a small (5-shot) ACP .380 auto, and I put a spare magazine in my shave kit. On 9/14 or so--whatever day flights resumed--I had to fly from LA to Sacramento. I forgot about the magazine in my shave kit. I breezed through security in LA and got on the plane. At security for the return flight the TSA screener stopped the line when my bag went through X-Ray and asked one of the other officers to hand-check my luggage. I still had no idea why. I was thinking maybe I'd forgotten a corkscrew or pair of scissors. The checker dug through my stuff and couldn't find anything. Finally she opened my shave kit and pulled out the magazine. I must have turned white. I'm pretty sure carrying live ammunition on an airplane is a felony. She was young, and new, and didn't know what exactly she was holding. She asked, "What is this?" I said, "It's a clip with bullets." She said, "Do you mind if I keep it?" I said, "Not at all." She thanked me and threw it in a box under the conveyor belt. Breathing shallowly I went on my way into the waiting area instead of into custody.

Not long after "DB Cooper" hijacked a plane and parachuted out the back door, never to be seen again, I was flying from Dulles Airport back to school in Oklahoma. I was carrying a kit bag with a tandum sport parachute and a Colt M1911 .45 CAL pistol as carry on. Got some attention at check-in, but they let me take both on the plane. Had to put the ammo in the check-in luggage; different times.

It's still fine to transport a firearm and ammo on a flight. Each carrier has their rules so it's best to call ahead, pack as required, and arrive at the counter early.

sealed cigar in the tool kit.

for use under only two circumstances:

1. a successful roadside repair. job well done

2. repair NO JOY. either have to sit here till a car comes by (because i'm so far off grid there is no cell service) and/or i've got a call out, and they are many hours away. relax. enjoy the mandatory downtime.

Not necessarily tools, but I carry a whistle and a magnesium fire starter in my jacket. I ride allot in the mountains and if I end up at the bottom of a mountain I can attract people with the whistle. If no one is around a small fire and smoke should do the job of attracting someone’s attention.
Yep, nobody can really yell for help for very long, or very loud. Now there are whistles, and then there are WHISTLES. This thing is the best whistle that I know.

It is hard to believe how loud it is, really. It almost classes as weaponry; I have used it to run off aggressive dogs, when I am out for exercise:

Storm Whistle

Cheers,

Infrared

Standard tool kit with quallity replacement wrenches, pliers, JIS bits, T-handle hex replacement wrenches, spare push rivets and button head screws, pocket tire plugger and vulcanizing rubber cement. Haven't decided on brand of air pump yet, AMA card for roadside service (also good for any vehicle I or any family member is driving) with motorcycle familar towing services, Silicon emergency tape, wide blue painters tape for use as sun block across top of visor when necessary. Good first aid kit pouch. All under the seat.

Under the front seat is a12v compressor( that's stripped of plastic and the size of a teenagers fist), a small first aid kit, with a few extra meds added, bunch of sized zip ties and a small roll of electrical tape. Under the back seat is a pencil case the holds the plug kit, needle nose pliers, multitool, matches, a few fuses, a small set of allen keys, whistle, a small laminated piece of paper with a list of all compatible oil filters, and 2-3 pairs of surgical gloves. I'll throw a ratchet strap under the seat as well for longer trips.