What do you carry (tools...etc) when you ride?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the kit the bike comes with some tie straps, black tape ,,water sun screen ,co2 thingies and the tire repair kit , rain gear

I figured I'd ask this in a general forum.
When I picked my bike up I drove from Atlanta back to Miami with the best wishes of the previous owner, a quart of oil, 2 oil filters and little else and never gave it much of a thought. I won't ride my bicycle 10 miles without a spare tube, a patch kit, a CO2 inflator and a pump.

What I'm curious about is thots on what constitutes a "reasonable" level of tools, accessories (other than a cell phone and your AAA membership-with the motorcyle towing option) we should be carrying for out daily commutes/weekend rides? Keep in mind 95% of my riding is done without luggage.

Tks.
Tire plug kit, stock tool kit. Beyond that, cell phone, credit card and my HRCA membership card. If anything on a sohphisticated machine like the FJR breaks, it's either going to be something I can rig up on the quick using the stock tools, or it's going to the big-bad that I can't do on the side of the road anyway.

Tire plug kit, stock tool kit. Beyond that, cell phone, credit card and my HRCA membership card. If anything on a sohphisticated machine like the FJR breaks, it's either going to be something I can rig up on the quick using the stock tools, or it's going to the big-bad that I can't do on the side of the road anyway.

Same here, and for the same reasons. A few extra wrenches and hand tools on road trips, but that's about it. Oh yeah, and duct tape. Always.

C'mon, Odot...admit it...we all know you have 'Trojan six pack' in your arsenal.... B) as for myself:

1/4" drive metric socket set w/extensions, (3)open end wrenches, crescent wrench, multi-bit screwdriver, extra-small reg. bit & phillips head screwdrivers, needle nose pliers, regular pliers, roll of Scotch 33 electrical tape, wire cutters/crimpers, spare fuses, (including 2 main fuses), posi-lock wire connectors, hex wrench set, gerber tool, flashlight (regular, and a tiny one with a 'gooseneck lamp' on it), fold-up paper funnels, oil filter, zip ties in large & small, small roll of duct tape, tire plug kit, compact air compressor, some paper towels, various first-aid items for scrapes/cuts, laminated emergency contact ID card (I carry that on my person) business cards of various cycle-rescue services & bikes dealers, AMA Motow card...that's about it, just off the top of my head....oh, don't forget a small can of Plexus & pocketful of foil-sealed visor wipes...

The tools themselves/fuses/etc fit in a Roadgear tool roll; the bulky stuff (oil filter, tape, flashlight, plexus, air compressor) is separate..it all occupies the 'floor' of a Givi V-46. I still have room in it for a jacket liner, compact bike cover (assuming its an overnight trip)..

The kitchen sink goes on the pillion....
You are absolutely nuts ... no wait, there is more ...

In no particular order:

Tire fixin tools including foot pump, wrenches, first aid kit, flash light , batteries, spare ear plugs, spare sun glasses, rain condition glasses, latex gloves, waterproof gloves, knife, a mace type spray, full rain gear, disc lock, tire pressure guage, compass, maps, water, zone bars or some other type of protein bar, replacement headlights and tail lights (one each), small bible (never hurts to have the Good Book along), Chewing gum, cigars, lighter, a couple of bungies, I'm sure I've forgotten something here, but off the top of my head, that's what's in there.

You are absolutely nuts ... no wait, there is more ...
That's what some might say...but over the years on various roadtrips, my brother and I have had to help various fellow riders out on some occasions. Let me think...a short list: a Valkyrie (wiring problem as I recall); one of my brother's bikes, (a prisitine Maxim-X) had a stuck thermostat; a new VTX1300 (guy low-sided, had to bend some controls back, etc); duct taped a windshield (that got a split after a buzzard strike); on my old Suz GS1100L (that my wife now rides) I had to find and replace an exhaust header bolt that fell out. Lastly, the metal screws on my FJRs windshield "W" bracket broke off flush after severe wind buffeting during a bad storm (towed it from TX to CA to drop off the kids & then hit the west coast). In many cases these problems happened in rural areas; it was fortunate we had tools/supplies. If not, the rider may have had to cut his trip short & gotten a tow home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same things I carry everywhere:

Wallet

Leatherman

When I remember, a cell phone

This bike ain't supposed to break. Comes with crappy set of tools, but better than what came with the car...nothing.

cartsEquipmentCartDouble2_sm.jpg

I am fukkin ready, but man, does it make the Dragon an interesting journey.

I figured I'd ask this in a general forum.
When I picked my bike up I drove from Atlanta back to Miami with the best wishes of the previous owner, a quart of oil, 2 oil filters and little else and never gave it much of a thought. I won't ride my bicycle 10 miles without a spare tube, a patch kit, a CO2 inflator and a pump.

What I'm curious about is thots on what constitutes a "reasonable" level of tools, accessories (other than a cell phone and your AAA membership-with the motorcyle towing option) we should be carrying for out daily commutes/weekend rides? Keep in mind 95% of my riding is done without luggage.

Tks.
Complete Sears shop set. Metric of course!

rags, zip ties, duct tape, alcohol wipes, electrical tape, electrical connectors, wire crimpers, wire cutters, anti fog stuff, tire pressure guage, pens, swiss army knife, metric socket set, 8/10/12/14 mm wrences, allen key set, sockets for front and rear wheel removal, tire plug kit, co2 cartridges, toilet paper, regular pliers, needle nose pliers, screwdrivers, flashlight, bulbs, rain gear, cable lock, extra keys for the bike and top case, bungee cords, misc nuts and bolts. Pretty sure I have enough tools to field strip the bike to bare frame. Just don't know that I'd be able to put it back together.

And the 2 most important items - my Motorcycle Towing Service card and a printout of the FJR member assistance directory.

Small set of tools, hex wrenches, sockets, and screwdrivers. Rain gear, cell phone, and flashlight.

My digital camera always seems to come with me just in case the FJ starts acting sexy on my and I have to break it out and do a photo shoot.